Wonder what he was dancing? (Male Dying Swan)

I have just been reading a snippet in the papers, saying that yesterday, during a royal visit to Columbia "The Royals watched Fernando Montano, a Royal Ballet soloist....perform The Dying Swan from Swan Lake."

Apart from the obvious mistake, is there a male version of the Dying Swan?  I've never heard of it, I just wondering anyone knew anything about it. 

Edited by Fonty

There are various versions around: I saw one probably in a gala recently, and then there's the one Calvin Richardson created recently, which the RB seems to have been plugging like mad.

BTW, impressive to see that mid-morning on a Friday you'd already clocked up 5 views within 5 minutes!

Calvin Richardson's male version of The Dying Swan was produced very successfully with the choreographer himself during the last RBS showcase on the main ROH stage last July and repeated several times during the Deloitte Ignite Festival in Hamlyn Hall in September where it was danced - when I saw it - with potency by the very talented Matthew Ball.

(Sorry.  I must have been typing this Alison when you were posting yours ... or I would not have daned on being so uselessly repetitive ... and sadly cannot - under the user terms of the site - delete my own item.)

Edited by Bruce Wall

The plugs by the RB for the male Dying Swan have clearly passed me by.  I would certainly be interested to see it. 

I had a quick look on Youtube, but the only clips I could find were the wonderful ones by the Trocaderos.  But I never think of that one as a male version!

I have just been reading a snippet in the papers, saying that yesterday, during a royal visit to Columbia "The Royals watched Fernando Montano, a Royal Ballet soloist....perform The Dying Swan from Swan Lake."

Apart from the obvious mistake, is there a male version of the Dying Swan?  I've never heard of it, I just wondering anyone knew anything about it.

They also refer to his tights as "tight trousers". Dear oh dear.... :)

There is also a version of “The Swan” by Radu Poklitaru (you might remember his R & J shown by the Bolshoi a few years ago). This frightening choreography is not for me but very well performed by Igor Kolb:

and Andrei Pisarev:

Katherine, thanks for the link to Lil Buck.  I was trying to remember who he was.  It's just fabulous!

PS - I've amended the title to make it clearer.  I also think there is a BNC version, I'll try and find it later.

Edited by Janet McNulty

Wow, some glorious dancing from the men.  I particularly liked Alexandro Virelles.  I am not sure who thought it was a good idea to dress David Makhateli in flesh coloured shorts, though.  It gave the impression he was dancing in the nude – more plucked chicken than swan. 

The choreography by Radu Poklitaru is very powerful, and terrific performances from Igor Kolb in particular, but not at all sure what it has to do with the title of the music!

Ade Edmundson was surprisingly musical, and not bad arm work for someone who is clearly not a ballet dancer.

However, my favourite was Lil Buck. Amazing, I really enjoyed watching that. 

I think the trouble with a lot of the choreography, for me, was that it didn’t seem particularly masculine.  I just wonder what Matthew Bourne, with his ability to create strong, powerful swans, could do with the music.