BalletcoForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Elmhurst auditions?

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#121 celb

celb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

good news in this house :)
  • spannerandpony, mimi'smom, Gingerbread and 6 others like this

#122 tutoo2much

tutoo2much

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

It has occured to me it would be better for DD to do few auditions between now and 16, just to get some rejection experience!
  • spannerandpony likes this

#123 JulieW

JulieW

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationNorth Hampshire, UK

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Just want to throw in here - whilst it will feel like the end of the world to an 11 year old - there have been plenty of dancers who didn't go to vocational school at 11 who went on to have professional careers. And similarly plenty who did go to vocational school who didn't go on to be dancers. It's only the start of the road.

Another word of wisdom my dd's teacher gave me was that it can be HARDER for those who don't get rejections early on, because when they do come, when they are 16/19/whatever they just don't know how to handle it.

The first 'Nos' are horrible - for the child and for the parent. They often seem to get better at handling them as time goes on. I'm not sure that we do! :)

Wise words indeed. It is really upsetting when they get those "no" letters - and yes, many will go on, keeping trying and get in somewhere for sixth form and go on to be professional dancers. But being realistic - the majority will probably be more like my daughter and many of her JA friends - who had a lovely time and some wonderful experiences and then find something else that interests them and go in a different direction.

So, no it's not the end of the world and it's not the end of a future dance career, but it may also be the start of something completely different.

(I'm just glad my son stuck at it despite being assessed out of WL - I've had a whale of a time :D )
  • celb and Seagazer like this

#124 Lildancer96

Lildancer96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Well done celb , great news.
Does anyone know roughly how many they take to 6th form finals and how many funded places there are?
Many thanks
Lil x

#125 Lildancer96

Lildancer96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

It has occured to me it would be better for DD to do few auditions between now and 16, just to get some rejection experience!

We have had loads but it doesn't seem to make it any easier x

#126 Jellybeans

Jellybeans

Advanced Member

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

Juliew, this is a refreshing dose of reality. The ballet world is very tough and very few make it to professional level even if they do get a whole string of yesses at a young age. There are undoubtedly some who get early setbacks and no letters that go on to succeed but I am afraid that sometimes the no letters are simply an indication that a child does not have the potential. This is also not the end of the world but I would suggest to anyone that gets more than the odd one of these that they get an independent assessment of their child's ability as this may save much heartache later on as expectations can then be sensibly managed.

Also, I have learned the hard way that invites to the final are nothing to do with the availability of beds as the schools obviously want to keep their options open. if they see someone that they really like in the first audition they will want to see them again and It is only after the final audition that the schools start to juggle who they can and can't take.

#127 spannerandpony

spannerandpony

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,233 posts
  • LocationMy bed, Hertfordshire

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

I don't think you'd be human if the "no"s were easier! :-). After all, as parents, it's gut wrenching when someone rejects your most beloved child; we want to protect them from hurt and harm yet here we are, delivering them into situations where a "no" is much more likely than a "yes"!

But in real life, the people who've been through the mill tend to cope with change, rejection, disaster etc. much more capably than people who everything has come to easily and without testing circumstances. I know for the rare few, everything goes perfectly - perhaps they win at their very first festival, get outstanding results in every exam, breeze into an Associate Scheme, breeze into voc. school, never have an injury, graduate, get a contract with RB, become Principal....how wonderful for them - but when life, as it inevitably does - throws that first curve ball in whatever form, how will they cope?

I'm convinced that by letting our children put themselves at risk of rejection early, we are giving them a valuable coping mechanism for adult life. Even if the only lesson we, and they, learn is "Don't take it personally". :-)
  • BankruptMum, Frangapani, Interested Parent and 1 other like this
*Spanner*

Vivir con miedo es como vivir en medias....

#128 ballettrain

ballettrain

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

Last year there were about 60 girls at the finals for about 12 places (approx 8 funded)........for 6th form

#129 2dancersmum

2dancersmum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

We were told at DDs audition that they could take up to 30 for the 6th form, same as any other year but they rarely took more than 24. They aim for 50% male 50% female dancers but usually end up with more girls than boys. It was about 21 funded places in total. I don't know how many they take to finals first.

#130 Lildancer96

Lildancer96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

Last year there were about 60 girls at the finals for about 12 places (approx 8 funded)........for 6th form

Oh dear , very long odds then ! Lil

#131 Gingerbread

Gingerbread

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationHerts, UK

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

In certain circumstances Miss Lewis will let people audition by DVD, so if your older DD still wants to do it you could email Miss Lewis to ask. My DD is also doing EYB at Aylesbury, it's a popular location! Lovely theatre. :-)

Sorry to go off topic slightly. :-)

Thank you Spanner - I didnt know that! will ask my DD if she would like me to ask Miss Lewis. Thanks again :)
  • spannerandpony likes this

#132 spannerandpony

spannerandpony

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

Pleasure. She makes a point only to watch the DVD auditions on or after the audition date, but you're fine in that respect! Always worth asking. :-)
  • Gingerbread likes this
*Spanner*

#133 Interested Parent

Interested Parent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

Also, I have learned the hard way that invites to the final are nothing to do with the availability of beds as the schools obviously want to keep their options open. if they see someone that they really like in the first audition they will want to see them again and It is only after the final audition that the schools start to juggle who they can and can't take.

I have to say that the school principal at Elmhurst did mention that they can take more than they usually do take because they only pick the ones they really want - this surely means that there are always beds available and that its not necessarily that they do not have the funding for all the ones they want. I suspect this may only be for Year 7 and that beds are a bit of a problem as they go up through the years but I am sure that if they saw a dancer that they desperately wanted, they would find the space some how. I am sorry if that sounds negative but whilst we are on a dose of reality.......

#134 lisadebs

lisadebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Yes, I agree with Jellybeans - if they see someone who they feel has exceptional potential they will make room. However if a child auditions at 11 and doesn't get a place, it may just be an indication that they aren't ready 'yet', they may become 'right' for vocational training at a later date. And it may be that a number of promising young dancers audition for places further up these schools and don't get offered a place because the year group is full. I would be cautious about delivering a dose of 'reality' to an enthusiastic young dancer - if dance is part of who your child is then no audition or assessment result can or should change this. I think we shoud encourage them to carry on enjoying and developing what they do, afterall who knows what context they might end up using their dance experience in?

Sorry - have waffled - as you can tell I don't live in the real world ;)
  • celb likes this

#135 spannerandpony

spannerandpony

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Very true lisadebs. I know my DD wasn't ready when auditioning at 10 for a year 7 place, but the way she's going she may well get a place at 16. But if she doesn't, I don't feel that all the years of dance have been wasted. She loves her classes and all the holiday courses she's done, she loves EYB, she has great posture, has learned discipline - even as "just a hobby" it will have been wonderful. Not being ready to get a place at Yr 7 doesn't mean the end of the road!
  • mimi'smom, Elliepops, tutoo2much and 1 other like this
*Spanner*

#136 JulieW

JulieW

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

My daughter's the same - turned out not to be built to be a classical dancer despite looking just right as a JA, but has had a wonderful few years at local dance school - doing NYB, festival groups and solos, the odd competition, is confident, hard-working, has great posture, is really strong, fit and flexible and occasionally shares her talents by teaching her explorer scout group to dance :blink: . She possibly could now look at trying for a dance college but wants to be a vet - let's hope they have a good dance class near her uni in the future!
  • spannerandpony, Frangapani, Elliepops and 2 others like this

#137 Jellybeans

Jellybeans

Advanced Member

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Yes, I agree with Jellybeans - if they see someone who they feel has exceptional potential they will make room. However if a child auditions at 11 and doesn't get a place, it may just be an indication that they aren't ready 'yet', they may become 'right' for vocational training at a later date. And it may be that a number of promising young dancers audition for places further up these schools and don't get offered a place because the year group is full. I would be cautious about delivering a dose of 'reality' to an enthusiastic young dancer - if dance is part of who your child is then no audition or assessment result can or should change this. I think we shoud encourage them to carry on enjoying and developing what they do, afterall who knows what context they might end up using their dance experience in?

Sorry - have waffled - as you can tell I don't live in the real world ;)

I did not mean that a child should be encouraged to stop dance if that is their passion but do think that expectations sometimes need to be managed. I agree that it is not good to protect children from rejection or the real world but neither is it good to constantly tell a child that has had many rejections that their time will come etc. Unfortunately, there are those children whose time just won't come and ultimately I think it is better to accept this sooner rather than later.
  • tutoo2much, afab and Pups_mum like this

#138 Sniffymum

Sniffymum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi - my DD auditioned before Xmas for a Year 8 place as she didn't audition last year and thankfully it was a yes for her too.

Just did the NYB audition at Elmhurst today and one of the panelists from the Elmhurst audition was adjudicating so that was a good opportunity to be seen again.

Looking forward to the final on 06.03.12

See you all there. :)
  • Frangapani likes this

#139 charlie4dancin

charlie4dancin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Well done to your dd Sniffymum ;)

Cx

charlie4dancin

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's learning to DANCE in the rain"

#140 Belljul

Belljul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Lovely to hear of the few positive replies to Elmhurst finals. I have been following this thread with interest but only just managed to sort my registration out to reply! Sorry about the "no" letters. I hope another door opens for your dancing girls.

Any boys out there through to the finals? My son will be there on the 8th (I think its the 8th!) and be nice to know of any others. xx
  • charlie4dancin likes this

#141 mimi'smom

mimi'smom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hi - my DD auditioned before Xmas for a Year 8 place as she didn't audition last year and thankfully it was a yes for her too.

Just did the NYB audition at Elmhurst today and one of the panelists from the Elmhurst audition was adjudicating so that was a good opportunity to be seen again.

Looking forward to the final on 06.03.12

See you all there. :)

Hi Sniffymum
my DD was there today for her first try at NYB. Do you know who it was from the panel who was adjudicating? My dd didn't mention anyone she recognised on the panel (but getting info from her is like pulling teeth!)We were in the 1st group and she thoroughly enjoyed it (and came out looking like she'd had a real workout too!) Good luck to your dd for both Elmhurst finals and NYB xx

#142 JulieW

JulieW

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

It might have been Miss Saidi - she choreographs for NYB.

#143 Sniffymum

Sniffymum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi Angela - yes it was Miss Saidi and the class was taken by the RBS mid associates teacher from Birmingham.

NYB results were out really quickly last year - within a couple of days but my dd did do the last audition last year in London so not sure if they wait till all the auditions are done and then send out the replies.

Will just have to keep an eye out for the postie.

#144 2dancersmum

2dancersmum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

NYB usually send out results of prelim auditions after each audition so you shouldn't have a long wait.

#145 Little Ballerina

Little Ballerina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Don't know if any of you remember me, but also a yes, for sixth form finals. :)

LB x
  • spannerandpony, Gingerbread, Frangapani and 3 others like this

#146 charlie4dancin

charlie4dancin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Well done little ballerina :)
Let's us know how you get on?
Cx
charlie4dancin

#147 Little Ballerina

Little Ballerina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Yes will do! Also, must pm you but, I'm sure my little sister dances with you on a friday at FTP, along with another little girl who also attends your Elmhurst class?

LB x

#148 charlie4dancin

charlie4dancin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

Pm me...

FTP foundation training programme? My dd does northern ballet ja's and elmhurst at sunderland ;)
Cx

Edited by charlie4dancin, 31 January 2012 - 09:17 PM.

charlie4dancin

#149 ballet mad

ballet mad

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

my child got a no last week and still upset as she feels she is rubbish , i know children who got 2nd round and arent as good as my child hao does that work

#150 spannerandpony

spannerandpony

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

my child got a no last week and still upset as she feels she is rubbish , i know children who got 2nd round and arent as good as my child hao does that work

Sadly we aren't the ones on the selection panel! Probably just as well. :-)

It could be that her physique isn't quite right at the moment, it could be literally anything. Also different schools look for different things, but as they are the ones doing the picking we have to trust that they know what they are looking for. It doesn't always seem right or fair but it's one of those things.

I think we just have to remember that a "no" now isn't necessarily a "never". But it might be that our children will never be right for certain schools, and it's no bad thing to be able to accept that and look elsewhere. For instance my quiet, introverted, technical daughter is not suited to a "performing" school, but that's fine. She will no doubt find her niche somewhere IF her physical capacity, feet, turnout etc. are suited to classical ballet.

So many IFs and BUTs in the ballet world...all you can do is keep trying. :-)

How old is your DD, Balletmad?
  • BankruptMum and Fiz like this
*Spanner*