Cinderella Dreams Project BRB

Jan McNulty

I've just come across this via BRB's Facebook page:

Dance students of all abilities, aged nine to adult, are invited to audition for Cinderella Dreams, a project from Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Department for Learning.

Inspired by the ballet and classic tale of Cinderella, it will be a unique experience, giving students from local dance schools across the West Midlands the opportunity to perform Cinderella Dreamsalongside Birmingham Royal Ballet dancers on the Birmingham Hippodrome stage on Monday 20 February 2017.

Closing date for applications: Friday 19 August

More details here:

https://www.brb.org.uk/cinderelladreams

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

DD has a call back for the afternoon slot. Had an email today to say that some have been called for both slots. Trying not to second guess but I am guessing this is good news. Lisa..sure I read it can be paid in instalments. ..still a lot I know but I'm sure it will be a fabulous experience. Beans on toast for the next few months!

• Like 2

DD has a call back for the afternoon slot. Had an email today to say that some have been called for both slots. Trying not to second guess but I am guessing this is good news. Lisa..sure I read it can be paid in instalments. ..still a lot I know but I'm sure it will be a fabulous experience. Beans on toast for the next few months!

I wasn't quick enough to write down dates all I remember is 2 days in Oct, 2 in Nov and 2 in Dec did you write them down ?

No...wasn't expecting dates. Think it was 24th and 25th October, 2 in Nov ?? and think 19th and 20th of December then Feb before the performance. Don't quote me though...like I say wasn't expecting dates.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am not sure where to go with this. My ds is in this production. He has been to rehearsal tonight but seemed to suggest that he spent the majority of the time waiting around to dance, which then didn't take long. He also intimated that this was the case at the all day rehearsals he has had. This project has cost a not only a significant amount of money but also the time and travel commitments have quite a large impact on our family life. We agreed to do this as we saw it as a great opportunity for him and he was desperate to do it. Ds has a tendency to remember things in a way that suits him though so I am never really sure of the reality. 

Is anyone else's dc doing this? Would you mind sharing their experience as I don't want to come across as "that" parent but I also want to make sure that all the children are getting similar opportunities and actually most importantly that all this money and effort is worth it.

Thanks

Hi balletbrokemybank, just had a chat with my DD...she says it's really intense. Apparently they click their fingers and say again and they continually repeat their dances. She's loving it and sometimes mentions aching legs the next day and she does a lot of dance during the week. I think the cost is good actually when you think about the intensive days too. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Just a little thought from the various shows that my dd has been in: you can learn a tremendous amount by watching others rehearse, especially from older, more experienced (even professional!) dancers. Try not to see the time that you are not dancing as down time, or time wasted.

• 2 months later...

Official Press Release about the performance:

Cinderella Dreams

New production brings together talent from across the generations  

Birmingham Royal Ballet has searched across the Midlands to find the perfect fit for Cinderella’s jewelled slipper, in a production that brings to life the big ballet aspirations of young and old alike.

Cinderella Dreams, which premieres on 20 February, is the culmination of a six month quest to inspire and develop dancers from across the region. The production adapts David Bintley’s classic choreography and Sergei Prokofiev’s lush score to create a new and vibrant version of Cinderella, showcasing emerging talent from ages eight to 76 working alongside dancers from Birmingham Royal Ballet.

Over 150 hopefuls from the age of eight took part in open auditions in September 2016 under the watchful eye of former BRB dancers Rachel Hester and Jenny Murphy. A final cast of 65 was selected, securing the chance to experience the intensive training, rehearsal and eventually performance of a classical ballet, in front of a full audience, at the home venue of BRB, Birmingham Hippodrome.

The role of Cinderella will be danced by 12 year old Pamela Hawkins, who began dancing at the age of 4 with the Sharon Green Dance Academy in Bodicote, Oxfordshire. 

“Ever since I was a little girl, I have always loved the story of Cinderella.  So being asked to dance this role in my first ever full length ballet is truly amazing,” says Pamela, “right now Cinderella Dreams is the highlight of my week.  I can't wait for Thursdays when I travel up to Birmingham with my mum or dad to the rehearsals.  It's the most exciting thing I've ever been part of. “  

Bringing about Cinders magical transformation is Ilona Johnson–Gibbs who, at 76, fulfils a lifelong ambition to become a ballet dancer as the Fairy Godmother.

Ilona commented, “I really believe that dance is the ultimate leveller. It knocks down walls to achievement and sweeps away barriers. I feel thrilled I can do this over 70 years after I fell in love with ballet.”

Having returned to the art form three years ago after a fall at work she rediscovered the health and fitness benefits of pulling on ballet shoes again after an absence of 60 years.  In a life filled with many years as a model for titles such as Vogue, a further career as a fine art dealer and motherhood, Ilona will make her grand ballet debut 72 years after first falling in love with dancing.  

The project has been developed with the Department for Learning at Birmingham Royal Ballet under the watchful eye of Project Manager, Rebecca Brookes.

Cinderella Dreams has been an inspirational project for all involved,” states Rebecca, “we have been fortunate enough to work with such a wealth of talent from across the Midlands and whilst it has been challenging, it's also extremely rewarding to see the benefits that it brings to the lives of all involved.”

Cinderella Dreams is the perfect production for all those who aspire to dance on the big stage. A beautiful, charming and magnificent showcase for the wealth of dance talent in the Midlands. 

The performance will take place at Birmingham Hippodrome on 20 February 2017 at 19.00. 

The performance of Cinderella Dreams is supported by Birmingham Hippodrome

All tickets are priced at £20 and available via the Birmingham Royal Ballet website at
www.brb.org.uk/cinderella-dreams

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a brilliant evening at Birmingham Hippodrome Cinderella Dreams. Congratulations to all the dancers it was a truly memorable experience. Ilona Johnson-Gibbs was radiant as the Fairy Godmother. All the costumes and ensemble dancers were sublime.

• Like 2