work experience suggestions for year 10 student

Happymoocow

Try contacting Laine theatre arts, when I was there I remember a year 10 student came for a week to do "work experience" . To get a feeling for working as a professional performer. Since they do both MT and dance there it gives a good idea. I don't know if they still do it of course it was over 20 years ago

• Like 1

My eldest dd worked at a theatre for disadvantaged and disabled kids when she did work experience and absolutely loved it. The younger dd worked with her drama teacher and looked after the little ones. That wasn't quite so successful but at least it convinced her that she didn't want to teach drama.

• Like 1

Hello! Hopefully a quick question but does anyone have suggestions for a work experience placement for my dd who is interested in a career in performing arts - not just ballet all forms of dance loved! We are based centrally but could travel into London. Thank you all x

I'm not too sure on geographic layout of London and it's surrounding area, but I do know of one student that completed work experience at PPA College this March. 

They did know a staff member at the college which may have helped, but you never know until you ask. 

Good Luck, fabulous idea. 

PS There are also different branches of Stage Coach Schools around the London/Brighton/Guilford area, obviously anything like these involving younger children a completed Police Check (DBS) would be an advantage when applying. Also a First Aid certificate (St Johns Ambulance run different courses) again shows any possible 'employer' that you are adopting a serious approach to any work experience.  

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

I'm not too sure on geographic layout of London and it's surrounding area, but I do know of one student that completed work experience at PPA College this March. 

They did know a staff member at the college which may have helped, but you never know until you ask. 

Good Luck, fabulous idea. 

PS There are also different branches of Stage Coach Schools around the London/Brighton/Guilford area, obviously anything like these involving younger children a completed Police Check (DBS) would be an advantage when applying. Also a First Aid certificate (St Johns Ambulance run different courses) again shows any possible 'employer' that you are adopting a serious approach to any work experience.

You can't actually apply for a DBS for yourself - it has to be done by an employer or similar. (In England at least, I think I read somewhere that there is some sort of basic check you can get done for yourself in Scotland, though I may of dreamed that.) I'm not sure that they are available for minors either. And it shouldn't be necessary for a work experience placement really as a year 10 student should not be left unsupervised in charge children or vulnerable adults. Or at least I'd hope not!

You can apply for a basic DBS check as an individual either through Scotland or Northern Ireland. I don't know if there is an age limit though. I had to get one as it is a requirement for anyone working on a BBC or ITV production as background, whether or not there are children present on the day. I mention Northern Ireland because the process is actually simpler than the Scotland one, or at least it was when I did it!

Local theatres are often good places to ask for work experience and it would give the full range of the theatre from performance, stage management, front and back of house etc. All of which are necessary to understand as a performer even if you never undertake that role.

Could also turn into a Saturday/part time job!

• Like 1

Not wishing to put a damper on anything but not all theatres will allow under 16 year olds to do work experience with them. The bigger ones that have a specific work experience program in place will be ok but this is not the case for many smaller local theatres.

Very true 2dancersmum, but as Happymoocow said in her original post that she was centrally based and also happy to travel, there are a number of large theatres around Birmingham, Leicester etc which probably have a work experience scheme.  I know that in Yorkshire hat the Grand Theatre Leeds, Alhambra in Bradford and the theatre in Wakefield all have work experience schemes along with Phoenix Dance company.  The part time job might be more of a challenge.