Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

40 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Belatedly (I've been swamped) but forza Jannik! It's time. Gotta go for it this year!

A huge "jia you" to Qinwen Zheng now. 🎾 

Sadly her fairy tale ended in the final, but what a great thing she accomplished.  I would have loved her to beat Sabalenka.  

• Like 2

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zheng's fairytale is over, but Rohan Bopanna's continues. 43 years 340-something days old, oldest first-time world number one in men's doubles, and his first ever Grand Slam men's doubles title (he won the mixed doubles at Roland Garros in 2017, and he's the oldest man to win a GS men's doubles title). His daughter is old enough to enjoy watching him play, and they are precious memories the family will have in the future.

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 3

Bopanna's still going?!

Shame about the result of the ladies' singles, but with the residual quality level of the other side of the draw nothing else was ever likely.

• Like 1

Speaking of longevity...Leander Paes (mixed doubles and men's doubles champion in all four Grand Slams from 1999 to 2016) is also quite the longevity legend- he won his last doubles grand slam title in 2016 with Martina Hingis at the French Open just a couple of weeks shy of his 43rd birthday. His first partner that he won a mixed doubles grand slam with was Lisa Raymond. He must have quite an impressive rolodex (in pre-mobile phone times) and smartphone contacts list.....he's partnered and won grand slams with many different players from fellow countryman Mahesh Bhupathi to Radek Stepanek to Martina Navratilova etc in addition to Hingis and Raymond. Quirkily he won an Olympic bronze medal not in men's doubles or mixed doubles.....but in men's singles.

I like all these "defying the odds" surprise stories that make the sport less predictable ie less boring. 😀 Well done to Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden! I hope they consider/plan to pair up for French Open  Wimbledon and US Open. (Who's Max Purcell partnering this season?  He and Ebden were successful at Wimbledon in 2022?) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Well done to Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden! I hope they consider/plan to pair up for French Open  Wimbledon and US Open. (Who's Max Purcell partnering this season?

I believe they do.

Purcell played doubles here with Jordan Thompson.

Yes yes Leander Paes! What a lovely player to watch!

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 2

Jannik Jannik Jannik!!

Phew, for an hour there I had thought it was going to be a quick 3-set demolition job from Medvedev. To their eternal credit both players turned it in to one of the Good Finals.

• Like 3

Well, that's the tennis all over for now.  Just as well, I have been watching about 4 hours of television during the day for the past fortnight.  

Very pleased that the final today made up for the rather one sided affair yesterday.  Well done to all the winners, and special commiseration to Medvedev, who has been in 6 grand slam finals and one only one.  

Tomorrow must be devoted to household chores, which have been sadly neglected while the tennis was on.  

• Like 2

Congratulations Jannik! 🎊  🇮🇹 🏆 🍾 👏 Australian Open champion! He now joins the club of grand slam tournament winners. The youngster has come of age. Looking forward to his playing this year at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and Flushing Meadow.