Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

He has said he will not continue if he cannot play in future without these injections. He is looking at other procedures and is hoping these will work but won’t go back to relying on these anaesthetic injections. 
I’ve been trying to imagine doing a ballet class not being able to feel one of one’s feet 😮

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a great five days at the Rothesay Classic in Edgbaston last week.  Such a good tournament as you get top talent in a small venue, and a tradition of players pausing for a few words and a quick pic - we have quite the selfie collection now :D.  We always 'discover' someone interesting to follow and this year we found we were about ten years late to the game in noticing Sorana Cirstea; a super nice personality and with a fast, hard game. Below clockwise: Giorgi, Martincova, Garcia, Cirstea.

e9GCcLN.png

• Like 4

I do wish all the BBC commentators would stop pretending that they aren't showing tennis on the Red Button this year.  They tell us we can watch it online, on iPlayer, on the app ... but never mention the Red Button coverage.

Anyone going, plan to arrive early!  The Wimbledon day 1 entry process was so chaotic that despite being in good time, we lost a good hour and a half of spectating, and the queue  built up to way over half a mile. There were problems with the scanning system itself, then the ongoing issue that scanners don't read screens in bright sunlight (which is why other tournaments had awnings up!!!), and ultimately the fact that they concentrate the whole scanning and security process inside a very narrow gateway instead of distributing it in an external buffer zone as they do to an extent at Roland Garros..  Once inside the perimeter of course everything works so well that it's a painful contrast!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Anyone going, plan to arrive early!  The Wimbledon day 1 entry process was so chaotic that despite being in good time, we lost a good hour and a half of spectating, and the queue  built up to way over half a mile. There were problems with the scanning system itself, then the ongoing issue that scanners don't read screens in bright sunlight (which is why other tournaments had awnings up!!!), and ultimately the fact that they concentrate the whole scanning and security process inside a very narrow gateway instead of distributing it in an external buffer zone as they do to an extent at Roland Garros..  Once inside the perimeter of course everything works so well that it's a painful contrast!

Thank you for the heads up. Tickets for Saturday and Greater Anglia striking so journey now more complicated and longer than expected 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/09/2022 at 00:40, alison said:

Congratulations to Carlos Alcaraz on winning his first Slam title (US Open) at the age of 19.  Clearly the first of quite a few.  By doing so, he also becomes world No. 1.

Now, who is his main rival going to be?  Every great player needs a rival.

Very sad, but I suppose not really unexpected. I just wish his last match at Wimbledon hadn't been as it was. What a sublime, brilliant and beautiful player. Transcends sport and merges into artistry. I'm so grateful to have been able to watch him play, though sadly never in person. I hope the next stage of his life is happy and productive.

• Like 3

I did get to watch him play, albeit for only a few games, on Wimbledon's Centre Court in 2019.  My niece had come down for the day, decided she wanted to see Federer, so we got in the ticket returns queue well before his match, thinking it was best of 5 sets, so we'd have plenty of time to play.  Then we started getting worried, because it was obvious from the scoreboard that he was trouncing Matteo Berrettini.  We finally made it onto Centre perhaps 5 games before the end!  (I'm not sure what it says about the state of men's tennis that next time around Berrettini was in the final, though :) )

I don't think men's tennis will ever be the same without him.  It certainly won't be as much fun to watch - although I guess my nerves won't miss wondering whether he's going to claw his way back from some impossible position, or screw up his chances of winning.

• Like 3

I saw him play at Wimbledon a few years ago and I feel truly blessed.  That I can't even remember who his opponent was says it all.  He was one of the few remaining gentlemen in the game, and he will be truly missed.  Federer v Nadal, and Borg v McEnroe:  he was part of one of the two great and most exciting male tennis rivalries of all time.  

With very best wishes to him and his family for the future, and happiness in all he does.  

• Like 3

I had the pleasure of seeing Federer play several times at the world tour final at the O2 in London.  He was a supremely graceful player.  He seemed to float about the court.  The bad news was that every time I saw him, he was thrashing Andy Murray.  But still a joy to watch. 

• Like 2

I think on one occasion Andy did thrash his racquet.  That was the year he lost 6 2 6 2 to Federer (or something like that.)  The match was over very quickly, and as we had paid a fortune for our seats we were a bit peeved, to put it mildly.  But I did see at least one very close match that went to 3 sets, and showed both players at their best.

I really enjoyed the O2 tennis and went every year, until the last couple of years when the centre got greedy and stopped me taking in my own food and drink.  Security risk my foot, they just wanted us to use their very expensive food outlets. 

There are some lovely photos on Facebook of the big four one of them all in dinner suits looking super  smart and a caption saying “ the auditions for James Bond seem to be going very well” 

Must be very emotional for Federer. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Berrettini to be honest just had no answer for Murray, a shame because he's a better player than that.

As the late PJ O'Rourke said, "Age and guile beat youth, innocence and a bad haircut" 🤣

I note that of the nine players featured in the first five episodes of the Netflix series Break Point (all that are available), Kyrgios withdrew, Tomljanović and Badosa likewise, Berrettini was beaten, Sakkari survived an almighty scare this morning, Auger-Aliassime has a long road back if he's to win this encounter with Wawrinka's conqueror Molcan, and only Fritz, Ruud and Jabeur are still "alive".

• Like 1

Iga Swiatek impressed me last night against Osario; her speed & dexterity with her feet was phenomenal, let alone anything to do with racket & ball. Clearly she's on a mission to win this slam & cement her number one ranking.

On a sadder note Nadal looks to be heading the way of Federer after his defeat to Mackenzie McDonald. 

• Like 1

Back to the Netflix Curse: of the nine players featured in the available episodes:

Félix Auger-Aliassime - rd 3 tomorrow
Matteo Berrettini - lost (Murray) rd 1
Taylor Fritz - lost (Popyrin) rd 2
Nick Kyrgios - withdrew (injury)
Casper Ruud - lost (Brooksby) rd 2
Paula Badosa - withdrew (injury)
Ons Jabeur - rd 2 tonight
Maria Sakkari - rd 3 tomorrow
Ajla Tomljanovic - withdrew (injury)

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 04:26, Sophoife said:

Berrettini to be honest just had no answer for Murray, a shame because he's a better player than that.

As the late PJ O'Rourke said, "Age and guile beat youth, innocence and a bad haircut" 🤣

I note that of the nine players featured in the first five episodes of the Netflix series Break Point (all that are available), Kyrgios withdrew, Tomljanović and Badosa likewise, Berrettini was beaten, Sakkari survived an almighty scare this morning, Auger-Aliassime has a long road back if he's to win this encounter with Wawrinka's conqueror Molcan, and only Fritz, Ruud and Jabeur are still "alive".

I'm glad we didn't have to watch Kyrgios.  Sad about Nadal...I too wonder if he can carry on.  I just don't want Djokovich to surpass his and Federer's records!

• Like 2

@Sim as far as box office receipts and entertainment value are concerned, it's a shame Kyrgios withdrew.

We must remember that in this day and age we're not watching or enjoying sport but consuming an entertainment product 🙄

Very sad about Nadal. Personally I'd give him a bunch of foot bones or an ankle ligament or whatever it is he needs in order to be fit for and win at Roland-Garros 😂

Many, many people down here (including myself) are still angry that the Serbian was allowed back this year. The sense of self-entitlement and lack of care about anyone else or their health he has shown in the last two years shouldn't stagger me but it does. I am not alone in refusing to watch him play. I won't say any more.

Currently totally absorbed by the (again) age and guile of Murray against the fire of Kokkinakis...it's half past two in the morning!

• Like 1