Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

Not such a good day for the Brits: Murray losing in straight sets and being frustrated with himself, and Raducanu trying to play with a nasty blister on her racquet hand which was greatly impeding her :(  At least Dan Evans is through to the third round, but even that was due to a walkover.

Not sure what's been happening elsewhere.

• Like 3

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just finished watching the Krygios v Medvedev match.  It was most entertaining, but yet again I am left scratching my head as to how a player as talented as Krygios is not in the top 10, if not the top 4.  Instead, his ranking is currently 115.  He has such ability, but doesn't seem to want to put in the hard work necessary to take advantage of it.  Very sad.  

• Like 2

I believe Kyrgios stayed in Australia through most of the pandemic, so I'm not sure he's been able to play much, and his ranking has suffered accordingly.  It would also help if he actually LIKED tennis, I suppose :( 

• Like 2

I don't know that I'm a tennis fan as I don't usually watch tennis. However, during maybe one or two semesters of my secondary school I played tennis as a weekly after-school activity, because I needed to do an action activity to graduate from my secondary school. I don't think I was very good at tennis at all as I usually missed the ball when trying to catch it, though I guess many skills require time to develop, but I don't think I'm very good at sports at all!

Yes, I think liking tennis would definitely help one play tennis to the best of one's ability, because that would make practicing tennis more fun than like a chore!

Of my original watchlist, I'm left with Iga Swiatek in the QFs and hope she gets through at least one more round.  I'd like to see Maddie Keys do well too - she seems like a genuinely nice person and I remember being shocked and saddened to read an interview about all the unwarranted abuse she gets online.  It's bizarre how frenzied both supporters and haters get about players. For me, tennis is just entertainment and while I find some players far more engaging and interesting to watch than others, I'd never lose sleep about a result.  

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know - normally not, I know, but I know there were a lot of Federer fans who probably did after the Wimbledon 2019 final.  After all, when you're 40-15 and it's two match points ... :(

What do you think of Cornet's chances of getting past Collins?  She appears to have been playing well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

What do you think of Cornet's chances of getting past Collins?  She appears to have been playing well.

I haven’t managed to see a Cornet match, given the impenetrability of the Eurosport add-on I got via Amazon, but I read that she’s benefited from a high rate of unforced errors in her opponents, so with Collins the going in favourite it may be down to how consistent / good at controlling the nerves they both are.. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fiz said:

Spoiler! Ash won in straight sets! 

Ash Barty played brilliantly, not just in the final tonight against Danielle Collins, but throughout the AO & I'm chuffed for her & the Aussies. 

I'm also hoping that since Kyrgios & Kokkinakis won the mens doubles that it might inspire both of them to dig deep in their singles game this year & win the trophies that they're both obviously capable of doing.

• Like 2

I was particularly delighted for Kokkinakis, as he's had so many problems with injury etc. in recent years.  Kyrgios doesn't have that excuse.  Perhaps he'll learn to love tennis after all. 

And delighted for Barty.  She's seemed peerless throughout, as far as I can see. 

• Like 2

I’d better not reveal who but a very pleasing result in the Mens tennis final. It’s been over for some hours now but just in case people don’t want the result revealed before they’ve watched it!! Looks like it’s pretty epic anyway. 

• Like 1

I didn't say that, Lin.  But knowing what I know of tennis fans online, many will try and invalidate it because of the absence of the others of the "Big Three".  So yes, I'd have preferred it to be more clear-cut.  I don't dare think what the tennis forums will be like by the time I get back on them ...

• Like 2

I was away for the past week, so only just caught up on the Men's final on Tuesday, having avoided the news for 2 days so that I wouldn't know the result!  I am a huge Rafa fan, but as I said at the start of the tournament, I didn't have much hope for him.  In fact, I was amazed he got through to the second week.  

What a nail biting, exciting final.  Could have gone either way, right to the end.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So farewell Ash Barty, retiring from tennis and life on tour.  We went to Roland Garros in 2019 and walked miles to find a restaurant open; we ended up in a bog standard Chinese in a backstreet, and who should be on the adjacent table but Ash and her team... a choice quite illustrative of her unassuming nature.  With her money I'd have been in Maxim's. Rumour has it that marriage and kids are on the cards, so here's wishing her all the best.

The usual routine for a retirer is to ask for their ranking points to be withdrawn, which would put my much-mentioned-here protegée Iga Swiatek up to world number one, and needing to win just one match at Miami to defend that position.  Jazda Iga!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, alison said:

I'm very sorry to see her go - she was a favourite player - but not so surprised.  Wonder if she'll end up doing a Clijsters in later years if she misses tennis?

You never know, but I got the impression that this is not just about wanting a new phase in life. She'd already withdrawn from tournaments this year, and said that she has given all she can and is both physically and mentally spent; I think the tour is just too much for her (as it may prove for some of the young stars coming through).  It's one thing achieving slam victories and another coping with the strain and stress of defending them, and matching expectations, year after year after year - that's a real endurance challenge. I don't much like Serena Williams but I have to admire the sheer resilience she showed in maintaining her level over such a long period.  Ash has already done tennis and cricket - perhaps she'll pop up as a top swimmer or golfer next!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

We went to Roland Garros for two days last week, the usual mixture of delight and chaos.  The scheduling has been interesting to say the least  - timing the Nadal-Djokovic epic to start near 9pm, hardly any women's matches in the evening sessions, putting the world no 1 on a secondary court for early rounds as she was deemed too good to give an interesting match... It was noticeable that the crowd was most interested in the domestic players, no matter how minor, so they got put on the big show courts and with our cheapo 'courts annexes' tickets we got to see the big international stars from really close up instead!

• Like 4

A few pics from Roland Garros; Watson, Bogdan, Kostyuk, Ostapenko, Azarenka, Giorgi..  Looking forward to Birmingham in a week or so; some good players there this year.  Shame Iga is now too big for that venue, though frankly at the moment she also seems too big for all the other players - today's final was so one-sided.

CP2Io2v.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, alison said:

I just hope he's not going to pay for it in later life.  I mean, anaesthetic injections and being unable to feel his foot at all during the match?  Surely there are limits?  :o

Not for these guys...they are beyond needing the money or the kudos;  they just want to keep achieving!  Hopefully he knows the risks and is taking his own, educated decisions as to whether and how to continue.  Personally, I would stop, but that's why I'm not a GOAT nor rich!  :)

• Like 1