Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

7 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Back to the Netflix Curse: of the nine players featured in the available episodes:

Félix Auger-Aliassime - rd 3 tomorrow
Matteo Berrettini - lost (Murray) rd 1
Taylor Fritz - lost (Popyrin) rd 2
Nick Kyrgios - withdrew (injury)
Casper Ruud - lost (Brooksby) rd 2
Paula Badosa - withdrew (injury)
Ons Jabeur - rd 2 tonight
Maria Sakkari - rd 3 tomorrow
Ajla Tomljanovic - withdrew (injury)

Jabeur loses in three sets to Marketa Vondrousova.

And it's three in the morning local time and Murray and Kokkinakis are into a fifth set. 

• Like 1

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

And it's three in the morning local time and Murray and Kokkinakis are into a fifth set. 

Last night when I got back from Swan Lake Dan Evans had just started playing. I'm now getting ready to head down to London again for the next evening's Sleeping Beauty & the tennis is still on the same day of play. Crazy!

• Like 3

Wow. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't heard it.  Congratulations to both players, but Murray comes back from 2 sets to love down for the 11th time in his career.  But this time with a "metal" hip.  Unbelievable.

Fantastic match - it's cruel that either of them had to lose :( 

• Like 3

And five hours 45 minutes of play. Now both Murray and Kokkinakis are required by the ATP to do media. It will be nearly 6am I think before either gets to bed.

The sheer joy and relief on the face of Judy Murray was wonderful to watch.

Kokkinakis who has endured his own horror injury issues was tearing up as he left the court.

I note that in this section of the draw, of a possible 8 seeds in the third round, just one (Roberto Bautista Agut) has made it.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

I wouldn't be completely unhappy if Murray pulled off a Nadal and won the whole thing. 

I hope Murray won't be so knackered after his extremely late night that he goes out in the next round! It does seem to happen quite frequently to players in general after long matches.

• Like 3

On 19/01/2023 at 19:19, Sophoife said:

Back to the Netflix Curse: of the nine players featured in the available episodes:

Félix Auger-Aliassime - rd 3 tomorrow
Matteo Berrettini - lost (Murray) rd 1
Taylor Fritz - lost (Popyrin) rd 2
Nick Kyrgios - withdrew (injury)
Casper Ruud - lost (Brooksby) rd 2
Paula Badosa - withdrew (injury)
Ons Jabeur - rd 2 tonight
Maria Sakkari - rd 3 tomorrow
Ajla Tomljanovic - withdrew (injury)

Update: 

Auger-Aliassime - still in it

Jabeur - lost

Sakkari - lost

So of nine featured players plus Kokkinakis who appeared in the Kyrgios episode, making ten, just one is left in the tournament that started as these episodes were made available.

Netflix Curse indeed!!

Medvedev also out in straight sets to Sebastian Korda, junior champ here in 2018 and son of 1998 champ Petr. He says he's the worst athlete in his family: dad was ranked 2, mum topped out at 26, younger sister golf no. 1, older sister golf no. 6, he's no. 31. Dad and both sisters have won Australian Opens in their respective sports.

• Like 1

Andy Murray is playing exceptional tennis at the moment.  As good as I have ever seen him play, if my memory serves me correctly.  

There was a lot of criticism about the late finish, and nobody should be playing at 4am.  The commentators were making various suggestions.  Men should only play 3 sets, rather that 5, there should be only one advantage point rather than 2, there should be no let call, only one serve instead of two.  It was all about shortening the men's game.   Ok, Andy has been involved in two exceptionally long matches, but generally the average length of a male match is 3 sets, in about 3 hours?  Early round matches can be very short; I've seen many men's matches over the years completed in less than 2, especially in the early rounds. 

Not one person has said anything bad about having day and evening sessions. It is obvious that if you schedule two matches for the evening, starting at 7pm, the chances are that one of them will not start until 10pm.  Wimbledon is the only tournament, as far as I know, that doesn't do this and lets play continue all day as long as there is sufficient light.  I think the others should do the same.  They don't do the two sessions for the good of the players, they do it in order to make more money.   I assume there must have been courts available for Murray v Kokkinakis earlier on, but presumably they had to be held back for the night session. 

• Like 5

Match lengths seem to be getting longer as play gets more defensive rather than attacking :(  I was looking at the length of some of the men's matches yesterday and thinking that 50 years ago they'd probably have been over in 2/3 of the time.  So, in my opinion no actual measures are required to shorten the men's game (or the women's), we simply need to get back to a situation where players don't take so long playing each point and trying to wear each other down/out.  I had hoped that, following his injuries and surgeries, Murray might have led the way and changed his game style to something a bit less "grinding", but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.  Shorten the points :) - the viewers might appreciate it too, if matches became shorter and less dull as a result!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alison said:

Match lengths seem to be getting longer as play gets more defensive rather than attacking :(  I was looking at the length of some of the men's matches yesterday and thinking that 50 years ago they'd probably have been over in 2/3 of the time.  So, in my opinion no actual measures are required to shorten the men's game (or the women's), we simply need to get back to a situation where players don't take so long playing each point and trying to wear each other down/out.  I had hoped that, following his injuries and surgeries, Murray might have led the way and changed his game style to something a bit less "grinding", but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.  Shorten the points :) - the viewers might appreciate it too, if matches became shorter and less dull as a result!

But to do that you would have to officially introduce a different style of play, and I don't know how that could be achieved.  They can hardly limit the length of rallies.  Personally, I prefer the more defensive play.  I used to find the old serve and volley style very boring.  Watching Pete Sampras boom out ace after ace was my equivalent of watching paint dry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

But to do that you would have to officially introduce a different style of play, and I don't know how that could be achieved.  They can hardly limit the length of rallies.  Personally, I prefer the more defensive play.  I used to find the old serve and volley style very boring.  Watching Pete Sampras boom out ace after ace was my equivalent of watching paint dry.

I agree.  I couldn't stand the era of Philippousis, etc., when all they did was bang one ace after the other off, and there's was virtually no real court play.  However, I also can't stand two baseliners just going on and on.  For me, the best play is one baseliner vs. one volleyer.  For example, Borg/McEnroe, Evert/Navratilova, Nadal/Federer, etc.  The combination of playing style made it punchy and exciting, but sadly seems to be dying out.  :(

• Like 4

On 19/01/2023 at 23:20, Dawnstar said:

I hope Murray won't be so knackered after his extremely late night that he goes out in the next round! It does seem to happen quite frequently to players in general after long matches.

And sadly but unsurprisingly it happened again!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sim said:

I agree.  I couldn't stand the era of Philippousis, etc., when all they did was bang one ace after the other off, and there's was virtually no real court play.  However, I also can't stand two baseliners just going on and on.  For me, the best play is one baseliner vs. one volleyer.  For example, Borg/McEnroe, Evert/Navratilova, Nadal/Federer, etc.  The combination of playing style made it punchy and exciting, but sadly seems to be dying out.  :(

Oh, heaven forbid that we go back to the days of servebotting, as it seems to be called these days, but there is (or at least was) a happy medium somewhere between the two.  Nowadays I get the feeling that a lot of up-and-coming players just concentrate on whacking their groundstrokes as hard as possible most of the time, and have little use for variety :(  And if you're being held at bay by someone's very deep groundstrokes I guess it's difficult to come into the net, or break up the rhythm.

• Like 1

It's like the other night there were celebrations over a 70-shot rally between Karen Khachanov and Jason Kubler. Say what?! Five or 10, with some silky down the line passing shot for the win, please!!

Also, the Netflix Curse has done its job. Only one of the ten players featured in the first five episodes reached the fourth round at the Australian Open, and Félix Auger-Aliassime has now lost as well. Can't wait to see the second half of the series later in the year 😈

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alison said:

Oh, heaven forbid that we go back to the days of servebotting, as it seems to be called these days, but there is (or at least was) a happy medium somewhere between the two.  Nowadays I get the feeling that a lot of up-and-coming players just concentrate on whacking their groundstrokes as hard as possible most of the time, and have little use for variety :(  And if you're being held at bay by someone's very deep groundstrokes I guess it's difficult to come into the net, or break up the rhythm.

Yes, I get that impression as well.  Which is why it will be a sad day when the likes of Nadal and Murray retire.  Although terrific baseline players, they actually have a huge variety of shots.  Murray must be the king of the lob, and used it to great effect in his first two matches.  Apparently, statistics showed that Nadal is the most successful player at the net in the men's game.  And both of them can do those wonderful passing shots when the opponent is at the net.   

• Like 2

On 22/01/2023 at 11:15, Fonty said:

Yes, I get that impression as well.  Which is why it will be a sad day when the likes of Nadal and Murray retire.  Although terrific baseline players, they actually have a huge variety of shots.  Murray must be the king of the lob, and used it to great effect in his first two matches.  Apparently, statistics showed that Nadal is the most successful player at the net in the men's game.  And both of them can do those wonderful passing shots when the opponent is at the net.   

Like Borg.  For me, his passing shots are still unequalled.  The serve-and-volleyer McEnroe often came a cropper as a result!

Ah yes, Borg.  He was the one that started the baseline rallies.  One of the all time greats, such a pity he retired so young.  I never really saw much of him other than Wimbledon, would have loved to have seen him on the clay in France.  And I regret the fact that Sampras and Agassi were playing at a time when it was impossible for me to see the Australian or the US Open, where apparently they had some absolutely fantastic matches on the hard courts.  Agassi was never at his best on the grass.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

FzEr1vZaUAASDCH?format=jpg&name=small

Ok, this is really bugging me.  This is the latest artwork for Wimbledon, depicting great rivalries.  Who are the two ladies in the white sun visors at the back supposed to be? 

Edited by Fonty

9 hours ago, alison said:

I think it was supposed to be Iga Swiatek and somebody, but I could be wrong.  Otherwise I might have said Martina Hingis, but I know it wasn't her.

Well, Hingis was my first thought, but only because she wore a sun visor and had a dark ponytail.  I don't remember her having a great rivalry with anyone though.  

And on that topic, why are two males who haven't actually won Wimbledon yet given pride of place at the front?  I know the official explanation is that this is a potential great rivalry of the future, but if that is the case, where is the equivalent female potential rivalry?    Unless it is those two ladies tucked away at the back of the queue that nobody can recognise?

Shame on Wimbledon.  Guilty of both terrible art work and sexism!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, alison said:

Oh well, at least we had one unpredictable final result :)

I’m hoping for another one today and will be rooting for Alcaraz. 🫢

In exciting finals news though, did anyone else watch Hewett & Reid’s wheelchair doubles final?  Absolutely nailbiting match, clearly enjoyed immensely by the Court No. 1 crowd.

The only downside was the prize money for the winners - £26,000 between them. 

• Like 6

CONGRATULATIONS Carlos Alvarez! We have a new men’s champion too! So well deserved. Arise, King Carlos 😊🏆. Can’t lie- I’ve been cheering for him to win it since the start of the tournament....I notice loads of spectators clearly were too. And that’s why he’s the world number one (and retains his number one ranking) and number one seed (although he had me slightly worried in the first set!) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

CONGRATULATIONS Carlos Alvarez! We have a new men’s champion too! So well deserved. Arise, King Carlos 😊🏆. Can’t lie- I’ve been cheering for him to win it since the start of the tournament....I notice loads of spectators clearly were too. And that’s why he’s the world number one (and retains his number one ranking) and number one seed (although he had me slightly worried in the first set!) 

Carlos Alcaraz might be the new king of Centre Court, but in the crowd were not only the next king of the UK of GB and NI and the future king of the UK of GB and NI, but the current King of Spain. Annabel Croft waffling a lot though. 

I could not be happier about this win, and now even though it's after four in the morning I'm hanging around for the ladies' doubles final. C'mon Storm Hunter (yes that's her real name, she was née Sanders) and Elise Mertens!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Carlos Alcaraz might be the new king of Centre Court, but in the crowd were not only the next king of the UK of GB and NI and the future king of the UK of GB and NI, but the current King of Spain. Annabel Croft waffling a lot though. 

I could not be happier about this win, and now even though it's after four in the morning I'm hanging around for the ladies' doubles final. C'mon Storm Hunter (yes that's her real name, she was née Sanders) and Elise Mertens!

Well spotted, thank you Sophoife 😉....the King quip was a reference to Centre Court heaving with royalty today, with not just Prince William, Prince George and Princess Charlotte accompanying Catherine, Princess of Wales in the Royal Box, but also King Felipe of Spain as well.....whom Carlos quipped in his speech had attended his last grand slam win too (perhaps bringing him good luck!) I do feel like a new era in tennis is definitely here - his US Open win was no fluke or one hit wonder. I used to call Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray the four kings of grand slam tournaments as they were quite dominant, now one by one they’ve  begun to retire, or scale back their tournaments.....it’s definitely time for a succession or passing on of the torch/crown. 

Besides the usual film world attendees like Daniel Craig and Brad Pitt today, Royal Opera stars Juan Diego Florez (last seen in Werther and La Boheme) and Keri Lynn Wilson (currently conducting La Traviata) also posted pictures to say they’d enjoyed watching the match on their day off 😊. I quite enjoyed the freedom of being able to watch the whole thing at home on tv in a relaxed fashion and enjoy a late lunch with family while watching the match stretch out to five sets. 

PS apologies to Carlos Alcaraz, for my naughty autocorrect- who thought I was posting about opera since this forum mentions ROH a lot......and altered his name to Carlos Alvarez - who is actually the baritone cast to star as Carlo Gerard in the ROH production of Andrea Chenier in June next year alongside Kaufmann and Radvanovsky  (casting info for the opera is publicised very far ahead compared to ballet)! .... I know they’re both Spanish, but the AI in my device is just too smart yet not smart enough sometimes! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alison said:

Oh well, at least we had one unpredictable final result :)

Hmm, got that one wrong, didn't I? 

13 hours ago, Anna C said:

The only downside was the prize money for the winners - £26,000 between them. 

The doubles have always been the poor relation (literally), at Wimbledon and elsewhere.  Presumably that's rather lower than even the able-bodied doubles prize money, though.  Of course, there are fewer rounds to get through, which might have some bearing on things.

• Like 1