Trinity level 6 conversion course

Circe

Hello- wondered if anyone has had direct , or indirect, experience of the Trinity level 6 Diploma conversion course offered by Middlesex University to gain BA (hons)...not sure how long this route has been available to those who have done the Trinity diploma but would be interesting to hear of experiences. Thinking ahead as always.

Edited to make a bit more sense

Edited by chaperone
  • Like 3

Good question following with interest. Can I ask also if you do the 3 years at Tring is this a level 6 or 7? My daughter wants to have her second career as a primary teacher so she needs to know the steps to convert also, her career adviser at home didn't know

I believe this has been available for several years, but is only for those who have actually gained a job in a company after their three years on Diploma course.  During their first years of employment they have written tasks alongside their practical performing experience to gain the BA (Hons).  I'll see if I can find a link anywhere.

Edited to add link

http://www.dadainfo.org.uk/ba-hons-conversion/

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 1

We have been looking into this as DD graduates this year and has always said she would do this course afterwards.  She knows a few people who have done it .  The course can be done straight after graduation or in subsequent years.  You do need proof of graduation to apply but i don't believe you have to have a job in a company already to do the course.  Certainly one of DDs friends was still auditioning as she did the course and although she had the odd few weeks work as a dancer she did not gain full time employment as a dancer until just before she completed the course.

The course is geared as distance learning.  There is an initial session at Middlesex University to get you started and i am not sure but there may be a further campus session in the August midway through the course.  There are regular Skype meetings as part of the course.  DD's friend found the course interesting, hard work and it made her think.  She did suggest that it would be quite difficult if you did miss the campus session(s) and did not have regular internet for the Skype sessions.  The students are encouraged to keep a blog and have a number of written tasks also.  That is as far as we have got .......

• Like 1

Sugarplumsmum- Tring I believe offers the Level 6- I dont think there is a Level 7 Trinity Diploma?

Thanks also Kat and Pas De Q

That is helpful info 2dancersmum and is consistent with the impression I had from the web info. The fees are currently reasonable too so seems like a good option if wanting to stay in the dance profession but secure the BA hons after Trinity Diploma. 

I noticed that Ballet West also offer to take people with Diploma to complete to BA hons- not as convenient to do at same time as looking for work on graduation though!

I stand corrected - I don't think you have to have been accepted into a company after all.  My other query would be over the student loan, as it needs two year's funding.  There have been previous discussions about whether you are eligible for student loans if you have a three year Diploma.  It doesn't seem clear.

Yes Pas de Quatre, good question, I think from what I read in the middelsex info that the conversion is considered as part time / distance ed and over two years so the possible one year of Student Finance left to Diploma students maybe would stretch...not sure though so will look further.

A teacher from Tring has now set up Chrysalis. A company that gives the experience of being in a company but also the opportunity to use that year to get your full degree. In its first year so not exactly sure of the ins and outs but its not just for Tring students. I believe anyone can audition. I will post any time I have more info but my dad is 2nd year so I only have limited info! Looks good tho and great idea if it works!

• Like 1

Not sure of the timings. Encore had its last performance this year, yesterday at the Lillian Baylis. Then chrysalis have a performance on 21 May. Don't know how many performances they will have and how the company is made up.

Chrysalis have a website if you want to find out more about the company (chrysalisdancelondon). If you look through the dancers profiles, it says that several of them graduated with the Trinity Diploma & are now studying for a BA(Hons) in professional practice at Middlesex University.

• Like 3

Anna, I don't think it is so much just Tring students having the option of a year with Chrysalis afterwards unless a job comes up afterwards so much as students graduating from any school being able to audition for the company.  I suspect also that as it becomes more well known there will be a lot more competition for the company places.  What interests me is how it is funded? Is it like Northern Ballets 1 year scheme with a fee attached so students basically are self funded or on the model of London Ballet Company where I believe there are no fees involved but dancers are paid for performances only and not any time rehearsing but are often holding down part time jobs at the same time.

• Like 1