Tights and skin tone

Jishui123

I've just been reading Michaela DePrince's 'Hope in a Ballet Shoe', and forever looking for ways to make my daughter's legs appear longer, picked up on the fact that at her dance school she had tights and shoes to match her skin tone thus giving more of an illusion of long and thin, rather than short and squat (her word).  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure this happens in this country.

So having a non-Caucasian daughter with an olive skin, who likes bright pink tights, I was wondering if there are any ballet tights (or even shoes) that are a slightly browner pink!

There are tights in baby pink and in salmon pink - perhaps the latter might be a better shade for her. I haven't really thought about using darker tights for a darker skinned child - I have a great many students with darker skin tone and they all just wear the regular pinks.

• Like 1

I'm sure that there are darker shade tights available. Check out dance direct or other UK websites. Capezio (for one) do a 'tan' colour. It's the same for shoes (but possibly in canvas - not leather, if that's ok) x

Gaynor Minden tights come in at least 2 shades...there is a corally pink & another more pastel....might be worth testing on back of hand to see if one suits better than other - they are nice & stretchy, wash well & last better than many which helps offset the fact that they are quite expensive....tip, as a short adult I buy large childrens rather than adult small....cheaper & VAT free!

GM do have two types of pink (we have them in shop not both on site at the moment) one is indeed peachy and the other light pink.

I've never seen anything other than "pink" tights for ballet - I dance with a lady from Africa and she has worn pink for the 20 yrs I've known her and never thought anything of it! X

Edited by Sheila Beelam