Midlands Independent Dance Associate Scheme (MIDAS)

JulieW

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD is starting in Sept (she's a Elmhurst PVP so doesn't have to audition) Going by the info & photo's on facebook we thought we'd give it a go! Would be great to hear from others who's DD/DS's have first hand experience of MIDAS. :)

I emailed the people that run it (she seems very knowledgable and we have similar values about health and dancers!) because one of my pupils has ability but there's not much in the Midlands once kids are too old for PVP's. She's going to do the audition so I'll let you know what happens!

• Like 2

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Don't know if you also know of www.midlandsassociates.yolasite.com

It is based in Newark, once a month. I think on a Sunday, again I think 10-4. They have also just announced a summer school.

It is run & taught by Shannon Parker(San Francisco ballet,Northern Ballet) & Peter Parker ( Northern Ballet).

Unfortunately, it's a bit too far for us to go.

My dd's dance teacher who she goes to for extra classes told me about it & has been to view the facilities and recommended it. Think Shannon & Peter Parker are guest teachers at that dance school for some classes & also their summer school.

• Like 3

It is based in Newark, once a month. I think on a Sunday, again I think 10-4. They have also just announced a summer school.

It is run & taught by Shannon Parker(San Francisco ballet,Northern Ballet) & Peter Parker ( Northern Ballet).

My dd's dance teacher who she goes to for extra classes told me about it & has been to view the facilities and recommended it. Think Shannon & Peter Parker are guest teachers at that dance school for some classes & also their summer school.

I'm not familiar with this associate scheme, but my dd has been taught by Shannon and Peter Parker at various stages in her training and rated them very highly.

• Like 1

Nottinghamshire IS firstly part of 'The Midlands'.

'The Midlands' can then be divided into Shire Counties and it is only at that second divide that Nottinghamshire is categorised as being in the 'East Midlands'.

Ooops my bad - I'm a west midlander born and bred and geography isn't my strong point! :-)

• Like 2

Thanks smallbythesea, This is not that far from me & it looks really good... I never knew it existed! :)

Edited by Tippy_Toes

This the first year, it's absolutely brand new which is why people may not have heard of it.

Maybe they are telling people through schools where they are guest teachers which is where I heard it from. I also believe that Peter Parker teaches at York Scholars & they are probably hoping word will get around through their various contacts.

When I was first told about it the summer school wasn't even on the website, so that is also quite recent in the last couple of weeks.

It's just a shame it's so far away from us.

Boogalou, I agree it's good value for money.

I would be surprised if anyone has anything to do with midlands associates at Newark as this is a new associate programme with their first ever audition on 3rd June.

Having spoke to them today, the associate programme also appears to be good value for money for 5 hours worth of classes. I am now reconsidering travelling all that way so dd may be auditioning after all.

All4dancers From what I remember from when I spoke to them a while back I don't think it's much - a ballet class and a few stretches. As with most auditions I'm sure they're looking for potential. There is an admissions policy on their website that says they're looking for musicality, focus, ability to apply feedback and flexibility so my advice for my pupils will be to enjoy it, work hard and do their best! Good luck to your DD - how old is she?

The Newark Associate scheme does look very good, but is held in an out of the way village, so though quite near, too hard to get to for us :(

I thought the same, got all excited, looked at how to get there and, although it's not that far, it's definite no go :(

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard yet? My pupil who went to the audition said it was pretty good - not too hard :-) They thought the teachers seemed lovely - apparently they "weren't serious and scary, they even made jokes"! and really tried to put the girls at ease which was good to hear. Pupil & mum were also really impressed with the facilities there... free parking, lots of waiting areas (and the cafe has really good hot chocolate according to mum!) and the studios are gorgeous apparently!