Midlands Independent Dance Associate Scheme (MIDAS)

JulieW

Just checked my email after reading this - it's a YES for my dd too! She was fast asleep in bed after a busy day, but as I leave for work before she gets up, I couldn't resist waking her briefly to give her the good news. You can bet she will have happy dreams tonight! :D

• Like 11

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going off the topic a bit I know, but every time I see the title of this thread I can't help wondering, how can you have an independent associate scheme? Isn't that something of an oxymoron? Associate implies a connection with something or someone else, whereas independent means stand alone,or not connected to anything else, so I can't quite see how you can be an independent associate!

I just found out my pupil (who will be year 9 in September) got onto the waiting list for the level 3 class. She's a bit upset but she said there were a fair few older girls in the auditions so maybe it's because she's younger. Please keep your fingers crossed for a place!

Thank you to everyone who has supported MIDAS over our first year. For anyone not familiar with us, we decided so begin the scheme after developing a passion for healthy, happy vocational dance training. I'd like to take this chance to introduce who we are and what we do, and why we do it!

Between the 3 main faculty members we have a vast knowledge base of sport and exercise science, vocational dance training, educational and pedagogy, dance fitness and psychology and we firmly believe that the best dancers need to be physically and psychologically fit and strong as well as having good technique and versatile artistry. As professionals, we have all faced similar barriers in dance teaching; we have exceptional knowledge and firmly know that our approach works, yet despite being good teachers, we have not been able to fulfil our dreams to teach in vocational schools, regardless of the fact that between us we hold one PhD, 2 (and a half) masters degrees, a PGCE, 3 batchelors degrees, published work in peer reviewed journals, and teaching qualifications with several dance societies.

It was our personal opinions that dance lessons that centre around a syllabus, and traditional non-syllabus ballet classes tend to concentrate on technique and artistry at the expense of fitness, or technique and fitness at the expense of artistry. And we know from recent research, that professional vocation dance schools and dance companies in the UK may produce expressive dancers with good technique but that professional dancers are often still not physically or psychologically equipped to cope with the rigours of training and performance, which is reflected by the high injury rate that still exists in professional dance.

Our classes are unique. We are independent in that we are doing something that does not follow the training style or syllabus of any particular school, tradition or organisation - our classes only include exercises that we believe are directly relevant to dancing. The term associate does often indicate that training would be associated with something existing, but it has also taken on a meaning of it's own in dance training and 'associate classes' generally mean extra, audition only, more vocationally minded classes (largely to do with the Royal Ballet's 'associates'; note that Elmhurst tried to use a different term for their part-time classes but have now taken on the term 'associate', and as dancerbabe82 points out in the thread, the Newark 'Midlands Associates' use the term 'associates' too).

As we approach the end of our first year we are genuinely excited to see the improvements in the young dancers that come to us, and have had some great feedback from parents and teachers. We are extremely grateful for those people who have been open-minded enough to trust in our knowledge and vision, and that includes people on this forum - Thank you.

(PS spaces still available for our back-to-school course!!!!!!!)

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone - I just wanted to let you all know that this years auditions for September start will be on Sunday May 26th at Midlands Arts Centre (MAC) in Birmingham. If there is enough demand there may be another audition in June. If you want to apply please visit the website www.midas-dance.org.uk or you can send an email via the website too, or of course you can just PM me here if you have any queries.

• Like 2

Hi DrDance

Was just wondering if you could tell me when application forms will be available for your summer school please? And also as it is non residential (assuming that) could you tell me approx cost so I can look into accommodation?

Many thanks.

Loulabelle my dd did MIDAS SS 2 years ago, it's is none residential... We stopped at the Ebis in Birmingham very reasonable especially if you book well ahead ;)

I had a lovely time while my dd was dancing shopping in the Bullring and exploring Birmingham :) The MAC where Midas is held is a lovely location with a beautiful park and a super coffee shop!!

Cx

Hi Loulabelle - the course will be 5 days long this year and cost is the same as last year - £195. This will (hopefully) include a 1 day workshop with Grant and Rebecca Davies from RGDANCE in Sydney, Australia which will also be offered to anyone who wants to attend just for the one day, at £95 (early bird rate of £65 if booked before July 31st).

Applications will open to MIDAS students first, and then to the public. I am waiting to hear back from my colleagues in Australia to know which day they would rather do, and then we will launch the event. 

Details will appear on our facebook page (www.facebook.com/midasdance) as soon as I get them!

C-thank you for your support!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Regarding this years summer course and my posting earlier on April 6th - the course will run from Monday 19th-Friday 23rd inclusive at MAC Birmingham. It is non-residential however there are several excellent options for accommodation in the locality - it is in the same part of Birmingham as Elmhurst and the main university campus if that helps.

The faculty will include the 4 staff members as listed on the MIDAS website as well as professional dancers as guest teachers who are currently being finalised. There will not be any staff or students attending from RGDance [now no longer in operation].

Each day will include a ballet class and a body conditioning class. There will also be sessions in jazz, contemporary, choreography, repertoire, dancer health, performance psychology and virtuosity (turns and leaps). All the sessions will be underpinned by our ethos that safer and more effective dance training produces healthier, happier and ultimately more successful dancers.

Waiting list for DD but she did enjoy the auditions so we would recommend it to others.

My dd got a place from the waiting list for her associates scheme. In September she will be one of only three girls from that year to have passed all their assessments and progressed up to the top class.

It's not about how you get somewhere, it's what you do when you're there that counts. :-) Hoping your dd gets a place, robin64.

• Like 7