POB Announce 2015-16 Season

Source

Of special note is the fact that our national company (well, England's at any rate) will dance its glorious Le Corsaire in June 2016 at the Palais Garnier.  A decisive cry of 'YEAH!!' and 'Well Deserved' goes up from this quarter.  With Balanchine's Brahms-Schonberg Quartet (one of my definitive favourites); Robbins' Opus 19/The Dreamer and Goldberg Variations and not one but TWO Justin Peck specials - and a new-multi-choreographer (including Pita) Nutcracker (on a double bill as it was originally with Iolanta) there is much to look forward to in Millipied's first announced span.  There are also new works by RB associates Scarlett and McGregor.  IF (as someone suggested on another BcoF page yesterday) NYCB ARE to dance in Paris in the summer of 2016 they will be free to bring a really exciting rep as the Parisian audience will obviously be extremely well primed.  Millipied is also establishing a new academy for choreographers to see that they have a similar discipline in training as that received by their fellow musicians.  This will be headed by Forsythe.  There is also to be a new full-length from Ratmansky (whose Seven Sonatas is to be included in this coming season) and that title - whatever it may be - will be featured in the 2016/17 POB mix.  I have a feeling my miles on Eurostar are about to climb!!  If I can't afford that I'll take the bus.  Somehow there MUST be a way :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I just hope I can actually buy a ticket for La Bayadere and maybe ENB the POB website still doesn't allow pick your own seats and then there is the bunfight to even get a ticket when sales open not to mention the huge hike in price!!!! I hope ENB Friends can get priority booking for their run although I am not too fussed on Le Corsaire. I recall the worst ever seat I had in my entire ballet life was at the Garnier for La Bayadere thankfully they heeded my request to stage it at the Bastille instead but that's so big you are miles away...grrr!!!!

You may have to walk, with these ticket prices, for e.g. La Bayadere:

• Dates Toutes les dates sauf ci-dessous

€ 140 110 90 70 50 35 20 15 5

• Dates Vendredi 20 nov., Vendredi 4 déc., Samedi 12 déc.

€ 154 121 99 77 55 39 22 15 5

Merde alors!  I remember when POB prices used to be cheap - the top ones were about £32, and that was *way* after the time when you could get those sort of prices at the ROH (which was back around 1990, when I started going, BTW)

You may have to walk, with these ticket prices, for e.g. La Bayadere:

• Dates Toutes les dates sauf ci-dessous

140 110 90 70 50 35 20 15 5

• Dates Vendredi 20 nov., Vendredi 4 déc., Samedi 12 déc.

154 121 99 77 55 39 22 15 5

Just looking at this - i.e., the POB prices for a three act ballet in the 2015/16 season - I'm not SO certain that these prices - being in Euros - are SO very different from the CURRENT ROH tariffs.  Just to be fair let's compare the top and bottom SEAT figures with those of the ROH for the RB and an evening performance of the upcoming three act SWAN LAKE.  For those the Royal Ballet is charging a top price of £125.  In today's Evening Standard the GBP closed trading at £1.3243 per one Euro.  At that rate the top ROH/RB/SWAN LAKE 2014/15 Evening performance ticket will cost 165.5375 Euros.  The lowest ticket price for a SEAT for the POB La Bayadere at the Bastille in 2015/16 is 5 Euros.  The lowest ticket price for a SEAT at the ROH/RB/SWAN LAKE evening performance is £6 for a slip seat and that is 7.9458 Euros.  On both those scores it would appear - at least to me - that the prices at the POB in 2015/16 are in fact marginally lower than those at the ROH for the current season.  (The RB ticket prices may well, of course, go up for the 2015/16 season.  RB ticket prices have I believe in the past been known to do so.)  I wonder how does this compare with the Canadian prices, Katherine? (But then, of course, Canadians may get paid much more - say on minimum wage.) 

I mentioned this to Alison who was standing in the Amphi T's with me at this evening's Oneign.  As she swept pass me in the corridor at the commencement of the second interval Alison kindly turned smiling and said: 'But they get more subsidy'.  I know the ROH gets in the region of 21 million pounds (or circa 27,720,000 Euros at today's rate).  Do you know how much the Paris Opera gets, Alison?  Does anyone?  I'd certainly be curious to know. 

Happily - on this occasion at least - I took (and paid for) the bus to/from the ROH.  (My shoes were, I'm sure, appreciative.)  As I turn 60 in July I will get free transport with a City Card.  (Bless Boris.)  I, for one, simply can't wait.  Those savings will certainly fund more than a few crossings to Paris :)  ... and BEYOND!!!

Edited by Bruce Wall

It's the austerity measures kicking in.

And heaven knows we have enjoyed a goodly share of those since the launch in 2008 of the so-called 'Great Repression'.  Yesterday the IMF declared that the greatest number of cuts in this country are yet to come - or, as they put it, 'need to' do so.  We have, it seems, only just begun.  A further 14 per cent cut across the public sector is - they feel - mandated in the next parliament.  That is a greater number than in the last (e.g., current) one.  With key elements being promised to be understandably ring-fenced over the coming years (e.g., health, education, international contributions,) the arts must certainly be among those segments now feeling an even greater strain.  Why do I feel that the only way is up in terms of ROH and ENB prices?  (Just this season the lowest ENB Coliseum season price moved from £10 to £14 which, in and of itself, is a considerable augmentation.) 

Striving to get back to the core content of the topic - I'm pleased to see that Millepied/POB have somehow maintained sufficient courage (in what surely can never be an easy balancing act - especially in a country as currently challenged from both a political and fiscal perspective as France) to enforce, encourage and hopefully emboss the balletic idiom in the 21st Century.  I'm sure we can all applaud that as much as I'm certain history shall - whatever the cost.  The Academy for Choreographers is I think to be particularly celebrated. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Just to clarify an item in my first paragraph above, it DOES appear that NYCB will be appearing - and at the Chatalet - in Paris during the summer of 2016.  (This should be very close to the Chatalet's closing for restorative measures.)  I assume the NYCB Paris season will be for the better part of a month as per the SFB programme last year and the AA one to come.

Source from the Theatre du Chatalet webside here

Edited by Bruce Wall

Looks as though the Paris Opera Ballet School will be reverting to their usual December Demonstrations schedule of three separate days  of morning and afternoon performances with lower grades in the morning and higher grades in the afternoon. Dates are:

5th December 2015 Sat Demonstrations morning and afternoon

13th December 2015 Sun Demonstrations morning and afternoon
20th December 2015 Sun Demonstrations morning and afternoon

14th April 2016 7:30 p.m. Spectacle
16th April 2016 7:30 p.m. Spectacle 
17th April 2016 2:30 p.m. Spectacle 
18th April 2016 7:30 p.m. Spectacle

(This year's Spectacle - currently sold out - is at 7:30 p.m. on the 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th April)

I'll probably be getting group tickets at least for the Demonstrations and discounted group travel/accommodation. - PM me if you're interested.

Yaffa

[edited to correct typo]

Edited by Yaffa

Just to clarify an item in my first paragraph above, it DOES appear that NYCB will be appearing - and at the Chatalet - in Paris during the summer of 2016.  (This should be very close to the Chatalet's closing for restorative measures.)  I assume the NYCB Paris season will be for the better part of a month as per the SFB programme last year and the AA one to come.

Source from the Theatre du Chatalet webside here

Oh bother not the Chatelet hated that theatre when I went a few years ago - too many safety bars in the sight lines and pushy patrons nicking seats!  Last time they did Paris they took over the Opera Bastille it was great and more suitable to NYCB ballets.  Can't have it all.  The Champs Elysee Theatre is nicer too.

Just looking at this - i.e., the POB prices for a three act ballet in the 2015/16 season - I'm not SO certain that these prices - being in Euros - are SO very different from the CURRENT ROH tariffs.

That was precisely my point :)

• 4 weeks later...

For those with abundant Eurostar points:-

Ariane Bavelier, dance critic for Le Figaro, announced on her twitter feed that since Herve Moreau is injured, Aurelie Dupont's farewell performance (of Manon) on 18 May will be with Roberto Bolle.

in any case, this should be in a different thread because it's part of the 2014-15 seasons.

I did realise that Katherine.  It was only that I was in a rush and didn't want to start a new item  ... thinking at least it was POB ... and heck it is 2015 already and we are almost a quarter of the way through it.  Frightening prospect that.  I seem to recall that in Ballet.co.uk as was there used to be different pages devoted specifically to different major ballet companies outside of the UK and news, events surrounding them.  That said I may be wrong.  I frequently am.  It may just be my imagination.  I am old ... and ever progressively older.  My memory is certainly not what it was.  I just thought there might be a few who were interested ... especially after Bolle's fine performance with Yanowsky in Manon recently with the RB.  That's all.  If someone wishes to move this item, then they of course can.  I, myself, will look forward to the culturebox outing.

Edited by Bruce Wall

Not companies outside the UK, Bruce. There was a time where there were different forums for a few of the UK companies, but not non-UK ones. You're not thinking of BalletAlert, are you?

Are you sure, Alison?  I must be really losing it.  Weren't there at least different news sections for the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi????  I could have sworn there were .. but they may well be a fantastical mirage of my own making :)

Edited by Bruce Wall

Are you sure, Alison?  I must be really losing it.  Weren't there at least different news sections for the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi????  I could have sworn there were .. but they may well be a fantastical mirage of my own making :)

Yes, sorry, Bruce. We did indeed have Mariinsky and Bolshoi forums too. I was thinking of the UK companies where there was some form of cooperation, which obviously didn't apply for the Russian companies.