London travel disruption this weekend - and other times

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Alison as I am going up today but via Victoria!!

After reading all the blurb about London Bridge recently Ive decided to avoid it and the train company like the plague for most of this year! Even though it is sometimes convenient for me to use this line through to Kings Cross!

• 1 month later...

Looks as though there may be significant travel disruption on the Southern Region this coming Sunday, so if your trains normally terminate at a station on the District Line or at London Bridge and you were planning on going to the Ann Maguire gala or elsewhere you might want to check your options.

I'm hoping that tube engineering works will have been arranged so that they don't make the situation any worse.

Additional info on the above: some Southeastern trains diverted from Victoria to Blackfriars; no service between London Bridge and Cannon Street. Whether that means the services normally terminating at Cannon Street are being rerouted to their old station of Charing Cross I haven't yet found out. Southern customers for London Bridge will presumably need to change onto the tube as there is no service between LB and Charing X (or will there suddenly be?) 

There may be some Thameslink trains going from Kings Cross to Blackfriars, if that's of any use to anyone going to the gala at Sadler's Wells, but that's just guesswork on my part because I believe they've all been rerouted because of the LB works as well. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I noticed a banner headline on the Southeastern website yesterday which I think said there were no trains into Charing Cross, Waterloo East and Cannon Street this weekend. (Also, there's no Circle Line at all). To be borne in mind if you're doing the early matinee at Covent Garden, for example.

I noticed a banner headline on the Southeastern website yesterday which I think said there were no trains into Charing Cross, Waterloo East and Cannon Street this weekend. (Also, there's no Circle Line at all). To be borne in mind if you're doing the early matinee at Covent Garden, for example.

Yes.  Trains doing weird things like stopping short at New Cross (from which you could at least get an Overground train onto the Tube network) and all sorts, apparently.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late, I know, but it looks as though some Southeastern trains will be stopping short of London, at New Cross.  Combine that with an extremely early start at the ROH, and ...

The whole Circle Line is out, too, although I think most of the District Line is running.  Didn't *notice* any work affecting the Northern Line, for those going to Sadler's Wells.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A reminder especially to anyone travelling to the Royal Opera House this weekend: it's the annual major cycle ride through central London, with road closures and all sorts everywhere, and I assume The Strand at least will be affected.  Not to mention trains possibly being clogged up with bicycles.

• Like 1

A reminder especially to anyone travelling to the Royal Opera House this weekend: it's the annual major cycle ride through central London, with road closures and all sorts everywhere, and I assume The Strand at least will be affected.  Not to mention trains possibly being clogged up with bicycles.

Those blooming cyclists, road closed for them (making crossing interesting) but they still cycle on the pavement :angry: .

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Please note there are no trains into Charing Cross and Waterloo East railway stations from now up to and including December 27th - bear in mind if you're trying for e.g. Nutcracker matinees later on today.  Services diverted into other Southeastern stations, mainly Victoria.

As if that wasn't bad enough, it looks as though Southeastern services on other routes into Victoria may be cut down to make space for the diverted trains which would normally be using Charing Cross!

And then who knows whether any trains will be running on Southern ...  Merry Christmas ;) 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

It rather looks as though Charing Cross and Waterloo East stations may be closed to services for the next few weekends, with services reduced and diverted to other termini on "Southern Region".  This may in turn have a knock-on effect on other Southeastern services to the other termini, and those who normally change onto Charing Cross services at London Bridge will also be affected.  All beautifully timed to coincide with the Bolshoi season at the ROH, of course, for which Charing Cross is the nearest railway station :( 

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 15:17, alison said:

It rather looks as though Charing Cross and Waterloo East stations may be closed to services for the next few weekends,

Make that "Charing Cross, Waterloo East, London Bridge (Southeastern) and Cannon Street".

Also, it's RideLondon this coming weekend, so there will be diversions etc. in place on the buses and roads.

• 2 months later...

Serious disruption/changes to (Southeastern?) services to Charing Cross and Cannon Street this weekend, I believe.  Combine that with a midday start for the Royal Ballet, and that could create problems for some people.

And this weekend there is no service on the Circle Line, and on the District Line between Earl's Court and East Ham (among others).  Add Extinction Rebellion to the mix, and it could be fun getting to the Royal Opera House and other venues.