RB Masterclass Feb 21st, 7.30

Just read through a leaflet from Ivy House and found to my surprise that they are selling tickets to a RB Masterclass at the Clore (featuring Francesca Hayward).  Date 21st February and price £28 (!).  Seems a high price considering it will probably finish before 9.00 p.m.  Details online at ljcc.org.uk.

Linda

Oh, how wonderful, but I am beginning to feel that I may well be almost alone in simply not being able to any longer justify the expense when a simple masterclass - albeit with the wonderful Ms. Hayward - now costs £28 .... and £25 at our prized English National Ballet.  That I fear is out of my budget for auxiliary events and I would imagine it may well soon become so for many of the chronic standees at the opera house.  How I wish that was not the case .... but interest rates - which helped support my attendance for such special activities have been going down now consistently for some nine years.  It is hard to justify the expense of one masterclass when you know that it could purchase four and a bit ROH ballet performances in Amphi standing.  A shame ... as I would very much like to have attended. 

Does anyone know if the good people from Ivy House film these events on behalf of those who may not be able to afford them?  I have in the past gone to programmes there and enjoyed them ... but the last one - a masterclass on Ashton a couple of years ago - was £20 and I thought that a tad pricey at the time.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

The Ivy House blurb says that this event will include Anita Young (ex RB soloist and RBS teacher) with RBS students prior to the segment featuring Francesca Hayward.

But I agree with Bruce about the cost of these events (RB £17; ENB £25 [including snacks] and Ivy House £28) creeping up beyond people's means and, perhaps, beginning to raise questions in their minds about value for money.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

It wasn't long ago that the ENB Masterclasses were £20 for non-members. The price seems to have gone up by 50% in 3 years. It's ridiculous that you can see a full evening performance for less than this. I was going to book for the Modern Masters Masterclass but didn't when I saw the price. The company must take the view that money is no object for enthusiastic ballet lovers.

I have long since stopped going to insight evenings, masterclasses, etc. because of the high prices. As Bruce says, for what it costs for an event that doesn't usually last longer than 90 minutes (RB), I can go to two or three full-evening performances. Much as I used to enjoy going to these events, I can't justify spending the money anymore since the ticket prices have risen so much.

• Like 3

It wasn't long ago that the ENB Masterclasses were £20 for non-members. The price seems to have gone up by 50% in 3 years. It's ridiculous that you can see a full evening performance for less than this. I was going to book for the Modern Masters Masterclass but didn't when I saw the price. The company must take the view that money is no object for enthusiastic ballet lovers.

Yes, I remember them being about £20, for an all day type event - snacks and coffee, and a schools matinee included. Now it seems to be £25 for a couple of hours - and I've stopped going, as my wallet squeaked!

• Like 2

Yes, I've had to get very picky - I rarely go to RB Insight evenings now unless I'm seriously interested in the subject, and I don't usually bother with RB in rehearsal unless I have a good idea of what I'm going to get, because every time I do it's at least one ballet ticket that I have to sacrifice for it.  Hence my starting this thread: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/8081-rb-rehearsals-and-insights-where-are-we-up-to/?hl=insights

The Ivy House blurb says that this event will include Anita Young (ex RB soloist and RBS teacher) with RBS students prior to the segment featuring Francesca Hayward.

But I agree with Bruce about the cost of these events (RB £17; ENB £25 [including snacks] and Ivy House £28) creeping up beyond people's means and, perhaps, beginning to raise questions in their minds about value for money.

I no longer attend such events. It is a very high price to pay for watching (with all due respect) a RBS teacher and RBS students, .....with a RB dancer "thrown" in at the end. To me it's just another money spinning thing and I rather spend my money on a ticket to watch a performance at ROH. 

• 1 month later...

I thought this was very good last night.  Anita worked with four second year students from the Upper School for about 50 minutes (giving a lot of interesting historical information about the pieces she was using) then there was a break when we could use the amphi bar area (along with all those at the Swan Lake performance) until 9 when the students came back in costume to perform a solo each (two from Les Rendezvous, one Spring Fairy and one MacMillan Jewel Fairy).  To finish, Roberta Marquez very generously came in and danced the Manon brothel scene solo even though she had danced in Swan Lake in the afternoon and it must have been very tiring to prepare and stay to perform this for us.  Francesca was not able to participate in the end.  I am sure that Anita, Roberta and the students gave a lot of their time to prepare for this (it has just been the students' half term and so these four should in theory have been having a well deserved rest over the last week).