Matthew Bourne's Edward Scissorhands

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at Sadlers Wells for the photo call for Edward Scissorhands (by Matthew Bourne), and here are a few photos:

15764724128_cbe485eb9a_z.jpg
Dominic North, Ashley Shaw & the company
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

15951479332_46b4d91d81_z.jpg
Katy Lowenhoff, Liam Mower

15329866234_671f855a1a_z.jpg
Ashley Shaw, Dominic North

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Matthew Bourne's 'Edward Scissorhands'
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 3

I've seen this twice before and loved it so it was a "no-brainer" that we would go and see the latest revival when it was at the Lowry a couple of weeks ago.

It has most definitely been tweaked because there is a lot more dance content in Act 1.

I just loved it all over again!  The whole cast was great and Dominic North was outstanding as Edward.  I was moved to tears at the end.

There was a super Q&A  with Matthew Bourne and Dominic North after the show.

• Like 4

Pups_mum and I and our dcs went to to the Lowry Saturday matinee and caught Liam Mower in the role of Edward. Fantastic! I too had some tears in places. Great entertainment but I was slightly disappointed in that the dance content for Liam was less than when we saw him as the Prince in Swan Lake, and Count Lilac in Sleeping Beauty. He is a beautiful actor and takes you on the character journey very movingly, but he has such wonderful classical lines and technique that I would have liked to see more made of these in the choreography. Has the extra dance content in Act 1 increased Edward's dance content already Janet?

For me Swan Lake still wins out by far - the music and the emotional journey/content feel so much more powerful. The music for Edward Scissorhands doesn't have much light and shade and feels repetitive.

• Like 1

Pups_mum and I and our dcs went to to the Lowry Saturday matinee and caught Liam Mower in the role of Edward. Fantastic! I too had some tears in places. Great entertainment but I was slightly disappointed in that the dance content for Liam was less than when we saw him as the Prince in Swan Lake, and Count Lilac in Sleeping Beauty. He is a beautiful actor and takes you on the character journey very movingly, but he has such wonderful classical lines and technique that I would have liked to see more made of these in the choreography. Has the extra dance content in Act 1 increased Edward's dance content already Janet?

For me Swan Lake still wins out by far - the music and the emotional journey/content feel so much more powerful. The music for Edward Scissorhands doesn't have much light and shade and feels repetitive.

I have feelings somewhat along your direction, 'amum/Cathy'.  I have, myself, enjoyed the humour, the commercial sheen and certainly the design that AMP so happily envelopes but for me - and I realise this is a matter of personal taste - the choreographer's pallet (and here I mean Bourne's) can be sadly limited at times.  Indeed, I oft find his dance itself needlessly repetitive and at a remove.  I say this most notably with Mark Bruce's oh, so rich canvas of a Dracula - (comparable as they are all pieces of 'dance theatre' per se) - so vividly in my mind.   How I would like to see Bruce as celebrated on an international scale as Bourne.  I pray it will come.  The one piece of Bourne's where I did find the heart actually embraced through the steps was in his take on Cinderella.  Might that have been because it was mounted with two key dancers who had then just departed from the Royal Ballet at its creative core?  I could, of course, not say.  As with most of these things, we will probably never know.  Sadly I left it too late to get into The Lord of the Flies.  I have a feeling that the community outreach in that event might well have held a similar stretch in terms of Bourne's overall creative choreographic diversity.   Certainly I applauded the idea of that particular gamble. :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Saw the matinee today at Sadlers. Wow and bravo to Liam Mower as Edward. He is such an incredibly powerful actor/dancer that I totally felt the whole emotional journey of the character. Had seen this show once before in the original run but couldn't recall so much going on with all the supporting roles- lots to watch and enjoy but today I was mesmerised by Edward all the way through. I've got more performsasnces booked for this run and after today, I am elated about that. For me, it is as clever and absorbing piece by Mr Bourne. Laughter and tears in equal measures and some very ERM 'adult' content!!

The ending is by far the most incredible piece of theatre I have ever experienced but I won't spoil it for anyone seeing it for the first time!

There is an orchestra for Sadlers and they were fabulous. Loved the jazz numbers. For some reason the audience did not immediately applaud the orchestra and conductor at the beginning of the second act so the percussionist decided to start it off by himself!!! Eventually the audience got it! Bit odd......

So yes, loved it.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to catch it this run :(  I hadn't realised it was an unusually short run, and I seem to be heavily booked between Christmas and early January.  I'd assumed I'd be able to catch it on tour somewhere, but I think the company are going into The Car Man pretty quickly afterwards.  Typical.  I haven't been to the ballet in weeks, and suddenly I'm swamped!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a family outing to this today. It was enjoyed by three of us and tolerated by the fourth member of the family (my hard-to-please teenage son). I think that Liam Mower was the lead. He had a touching quality which was needed for the role and was obviously an accomplished dancer. All the dancers were very good actors who each had their own story to tell. The sets and score were great. Personally, I was happy with the amount of dancing. The action sped along and there was scarcely a moment when you weren't engaged. 

• 4 weeks later...

Edward Scissorhands arrived in my home town of Nottingham this week and what a way to brighten up depressing cold January! Saw 2 performances, and with no advance casting information (apart from Sadlers), casting worked a dream - got to see both Liam Mower and Dominic North in the role of Ed, both bringing their own unique and special touches to the role. Both were dancing with Ashley Shaw as Kim, who is beautifully expressive in that role. The ensemble cast is superb and full of depth in the individual characterisations - so much to enjoy. As a piece of dance theatre, it just grows and grows on me with each viewing. It's so clever and complex the more you watch.

And as I'm recovering from a severe bout of flu, it was an absolutely just the tonic to my brain and body this week!!!  :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've just read the review on the Dancing Times - boy, she wasn't impressed unlike most other reviews I've read.

I don't consider myself a huge MB fan (although they're growing on me) but I loved Edward Scissorhands!