RBS finals and MA

Happymum

My DD and her 2 friends were invited to WL finals and were offered Mid Associate places. I am not sure whether all children from the finals are offered Mid places or take them up either as they may also take up places in other vocational schools.

Good luck with the rest of your auditions and finals!

Ax

Not necessarily, but likely (I think!). At our centre last year, 3 year 6 JA's got finals at WL. 2 of them are now at WL, and the other did get offered MA's. No one else got MA's. I think maybe 5 got wait list. One got offered a place off the wait list but declined. Not sure what happened next! The RBS Annual report audition figures show how the amount of associate places becomes more scarce in MA's and then SA's :-( . However, the RBS is apparently not the only route to a career in dance :-) .

• Like 1

My DD got WL finals for year 7 but did not get MAs - there were 10 from her JA class at finals that year though ( 2 were offered WL places - one accepted the place and one declined the place).My DD did later get an SA place but turned it down as she continued at vocational school.

I think it can work both ways.  You can be invited to finals and not get offered MA.  You can not be invited to finals but get offered MA.  Somewhat confusing.  I have also heard of a child invited to finals but not offered a place for year 7 then being offered a place for year 7 after attending summer school.  It is possible that they may have been on the waiting list - don't know.  I wonder if any child assessed out of WL is ever offered a MA/SA place - does anyone know?

Those assessed out of WL automatically get MA/SAs.

That's interesting! I thought they asses children out as they think they are no longer "benefiting from RBS training" or their physique changes so is no longer suitable for classical ballet etc so why offer MA or SA?

I guess we will never really know...

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 1

I'm not sure there is anything automatic about White Lodge.  For instance if a child was assessed out of WL due to serious injury or behavioural issues etc they may well decide that it is time to end the association.

Children assessed out of White Lodge are not necessarily told why they are not given a further year's training.  They may have hints of it in the parent/teacher meetings but in my experience, if you don't know much about ballet then it is very hard to know whether what they are saying to you is serious or that your child merely needs to work on a particular area of training. For some I am sure it is an awful shock when the letter comes.

Regarding physique, children can change enormously during puberty and it may be that they are given time to develop whilst staying under the radar.

Also, 'there are many roads to Rome'...

• Like 2

My son was offered a place in associates after he was assessed out of year 9 but take it as he went tho Elmhurst. Not all of the others assessed out at the same time were offered it. And on the subject of getting that letter - even when you know they're "at risk" it's still an awful shock. Didn't stop him though - he's now a professional dancer inn a ballet company :-)

• Like 15

I think the MA offer issue is very heavily influenced by how many of the current MAs are staying. So it may be down to luck as to who gets MA depending on your centre.

It is very stressful as the parent and child negotiating all the ifs - good luck!