Student Finance for BA and HND Courses

Nana Lily

Pictures it depends on how the relationship with the university is sorted.  Not many (if any) of the schools we discuss on here will have their own degree awarding powers so the actual degree will be awarded by another institution.  Trinity Laban, for example, is a conservatoire whose degrees are awarded by City University London.  Even the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama schools (ie Rambert, London Contemporary, Central, Northern) have degrees validated by universities and are therefore linked to them.  But I don't know why they are not classified as private institutions and others are. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all! I think I understand now. For classical ballet courses at BA level (Central, RCS and Rambert (though contemporary/classical) Student finance will cover the £9000 fees. For Ballet West and BTUK as HND courses student finance will cover £6000 towards the fees?

Thank you all! I think I understand now. For classical ballet courses at BA level (Central, RCS and Rambert (though contemporary/classical) Student finance will cover the £9000 fees. For Ballet West and BTUK as HND courses student finance will cover £6000 towards the fees?

You are right about Central, RCS and Rambert.

i can't work out what would happen at Ballet West - anyone? The current institutional report on the QAA site says they offer both BA (Hons) Dance, awarding body Northumbria Uni and  HND Professional Stage Dance, awarding body Scottish Qualifications Authority.  http://www.qaa.ac.uk/InstitutionReports/reports/Documents/R3667Ballet-West.pdf

Also were BTUK hoping for accreditation from Scottish Qualifications Authority or did I imagine that?

Guest dancer2027

Btuk said to us that they plan to make the course a full ba degree by the time first years reach 3rd year, as they are a new school. They are trying to link to a local university, Warwick or Leicester I think but not too sure. Would then assume it was 9,000 but not sure

I wouldn't be too sure about that . too k this from London Studio Centre's page about their BA Honours degree :

Following the publication of the Browne Report in October 2010, the Government announced that the current cap on University tuition fees would be removed.  London Studio Centre as a private institution is not bound by the £9,000 fee cap and will therefore remain charging its full tuition fee. Students on the Degree programme will be able to access student loans of £6,000 and will be required to fund the remaining amount should they be successfully accepted onto the course.

There are no Government Funded Places or Dance and Drama Awards available at London Studio Centre.

London Studio Centre is committed to supporting students unable to fund their fees and has a range of support available. Please see our section Student Support for information about scholarships, Student Loans Contributions and other support available.

COURSE FEES:     Audition Fee For All Courses* £40

2014/15     Degree Course Fees:     Full Tuition Fees Per Annum £13,250.00    

Including Middlesex University Registration fee of £670**

So, if BTUK is a private institution, then it looks to me that students would only have access to £6000

but the student finance website states that you get £9000 if you are studying in scotland, and even when you enter Ballet West as your chosen place of study, the quote is £6000 if you are studying in England and £9000 if you are studying in Scotland!

Ouch. I hadn't realised a) how expensive some of the fees are and B) how little was available from student finance. It seemsvery unfair to me, given that a lot of these institutions are providing very high quality training and are effectively put out of reach for many potential students by virtue of the finance. But on the other hand there are all kinds of courses of highly dubious value run by, shall we say, less than top flight universities, that the government is happy to lend the full fees for. Crazy.

I ve been relieved that DD didn't want to apply for any 6th forms, as we have an income above the DaDA cut off point butwith 2 younger children to consider there is no way we could self fund, but she is wondering about auditioning for post 18 places. I had somewhat naively assumed the finance would be the same as for "normal" university courses. Seems I need to do some more research....

Guest dancer2027

Pups mum I think a lot of us assumed that it would be 9,000, seems fair enough because it is not like we are entitled to student finance loans again after doing 3 year ballet courses, so we should get the full amount. I don't actually understand why we wouldn't as it's not as though it affects anyone by giving students full funding just as the hundreds of thousands of other students get in the uk!

My parents say they will pay the extra if they have to, but I feel terrible making them pay more after they have already spent years and years paying for ballet expenses. At 18 I was also hoping to gain some independence by not having to rely on them as much financially but if they are paying for part of my course that won't really be the case. Oh well, just wish the schools would be a little clearer, it seems something they avoid talking about a lot...

flutterby - whether it is for dance or for other courses, including degrees, you are not considered independent after 18.  Parental income has to be submitted to obtain any student finance.  It is one of those weird anomolies, an 18 year old is independent and an adult except for student loans, your parents are still expected to fund some aspects if their income is high enough.

Guest dancer2027

Pas de quatre- thank you, strange haha, luckily I have parents who will pay to cover the costs, just feel bad as it wouldn't be like that if I went to university

The classification for private institution is to do with how it is funded.  Universities receive government and public funding but the private colleges are funded differently and receive no public funding.  They have to apply for their courses to be designated and accredited so that their students can get the student finance loans.  To do this they need to provide evidence of the quality of the teaching/training and the financial stability of their college/school/institution.  But the limit on the loan for course fees is £6000 with any difference with fees for the course itself to be paid by the student for all private colleges.  As far as I am aware the maintenance loans and grants are not affected and you can apply for these alongside the fees loan.

I have no idea if and how changing/developing relationships between a school and the university body that awards the degree might affect this.

• Like 1

the student finance tables quote the maximum amount of maintenance loan.  The first 65% is available to all who are eligible and 35% of it is income assessed so many people will not get the full amount quoted in the tables but they do get the 65%.  The maintenance grant is wholly income assessed.

Guest dancer2027

Thank you pas de quartre and 2dancersmum for some useful information :) I will wait and see what the ballet school says about it but at least we have the heads up if it is 6,000

Hi everyone my daughter has been training at BW since last September because we stay in Scotland we only get £1205.00 towards her fees from SAAS which means we have to cover the rest. My daughter applied for a student loan which only covers her accomadation. It's an uphill battle for us to find the money. On the plus side I've never seen my daughter look so good and be so happy. I thought my daughter was an amazing dancer (typical mum) before she started training

with BW but I was reduced to tears when I watched her perform in Swan Lake she has improved massively in such a short time were all so excited to see what happens next. Looking forward to the end off year show in Oban on the 15th May xxx

• Like 7

It's all very strange and inconsistent, isn't it. I suppose the other side of the coin is that at RCS, fees for Scottish and EU students are a fraction of the fees for students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland - £1250 or thereabouts as opposed to £9000 p/a! So it's swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

Hi if you add the £9000 fees, accommodation £4500 along with basic living expenses and everything they require for training. During the course of BW training rehearsing and doing there Swan Lake tour my daughter went through at least 18 pairs of pointe shoes. My husband is self employed (80/100hrs p/w) and I work as a senior Carer (40/70hrs p/w) in a local care home so were not exactly on the high end wages x

We attended a meeting at DD school for "mainstream" courses applied for by UKAS. The deadline they gave was 30th may for the cleared funds to be in place when required. I understood you could apply after this date but they could not guarantee when it would be paid.

We have just received an email for stage 1 of the application process; Having a funding application request for DD they now require financial information from us - this stage has taken 3 weeks (with Easter in the middle).