Genee Dance Challenge 2014

Happymum

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd did the genee dance challenge in Birmingham when she was 12. She thoroughly enjoyed the two days and it was a lovely experience. In fact, it was the first competition she did as we were never into the festival thing. From memory I think they took class, had individual coaching on solos and plenty of opportunity to run through. Parents then come and watch the final on the second day. Coincidentally, the girl who won the year my dd entered was actually a finalist at last years Genee competiton. I also remember another striking girl who is now at upper school. Needless to say, the standard was very good.

I think it was mainly non vocational, and my dd was non-voc at the time, but there were some vocational students, and the girl who won was voc. don't be put off, it was a good experience. I'm not aware of it being something dd's particular voc school actively encourage students to participate in and it was quite low key, with only around 25 or so entrants for Birmingham the year dd did it.

• Like 2

Moneypenny Was it 25 entrances in her group/level or all together? I just discovered it is Wed and Thursday, not weekend, so there might be a problem with my work etc. Does anyone know if it is in the morning or afternoon and how many hours a day? Will call them on Monday but would be great to know asap how it has been organised previously

Dd did this competition twice. Both times her level was won by a full time vocational student. Classes were absolutely lovely and dd got a lot out of the experience both times. It was particularly lovely to have that performance experience, in costume, in front of a small audience - especially for those students like dd who aren't at vocational school, don't do Festivals, and therefore get limited performance experience.

Birmingham in the summer holidays was very accessible for us and central for almost everyone, so it's a shame that it's been moved to Cardiff and brought forward to Easter. :-(

• Like 1

I also can't take a day off but we live in Wales so it's not si far for us and no need to book a hotel. Also my DD's teacher said she'll take her there on Wed so it will make it easier. But I didn't think about buying a costume! I hope she can just wear one from previous school's performances.... Must ask her teacher on Monday! I've got an impresion reading RAD's information that they want the costumes to be very basic/simple, am I wrong? Are people spending fortunes on costumes and make-up for this dance challenge? It always comes down to their dancing, doesn't it (I hope!)

So many things are close together, there's this, Phyllis Bedells Bursary (clashing with RBS finals), Young Dancer Of The Year, plus auditions and hopefully finals - not forgetting GCSE's ! Shame things aren't spread out a bit more to spread the expense  and to be less manic.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've entered this as it is literally 30 mins away from where I live:)

There are 4 levels, grades 4 and 5 are level 1, inter foundation and intermediate level 2, grade 6,7 and 8 levels three and ten all the advanceds level 4! There is a max of fifteen in each class and two winners from each level will progress to the final. Both me and my younger sister have entered so mum is not planning on buying fancy costumes just a new Leo and simple skirt I think:)

Hi Anaballerina, which group will you and your sister be? My DD will be level 1 (though her teacher didn't apply for a place yet). May I ask how do you know that there will be max 15 in each group? Closing date is not till 21 March. Are the places limited?

My DD's teacher also thinks that leotard and skirt is a good idea. Good luck to you and your sister.

Hi Anaballerina, which group will you and your sister be? My DD will be level 1 (though her teacher didn't apply for a place yet). May I ask how do you know that there will be max 15 in each group? Closing date is not till 21 March. Are the places limited?

My DD's teacher also thinks that leotard and skirt is a good idea. Good luck to you and your sister.

My sister will be in level 1 and I am in level 4. Claire Marks the organiser told my teacher that spaces are limited on a first come first served basis, the last that I heard there will still spaces left in level one but that was the biggest group. The other levels only has five or six in them. We thought that because a tutu just seems a little over the top for a studio competition

Has anybody else got a DD or DS in level four? I'm so worried I'm going to be the only one not in a vocational school:( If that's the case I'm going to feel super self-conscious as I'll probably be the worst there:( 

Ho anaballerina

DD and her friend are in level 4 - ;)

Both are non vocational so you won't be

It sounds lovely - 2 days of classes and the opportunity to perform at a nice venue (nice break for DD before GCSe's) - fun times x

I am quite excited to take part:) is you DD advanced foundation? I've heard the studio at national dance company is lovely as my pas de deux partner is an associate there:)

I am quite excited to take part:) is you DD advanced foundation? I've heard the studio at national dance company is lovely as my pas de deux partner is an associate there:)

Hi anaballerina - they're both studying advanced 2, but as they have arranged the groups, would have thought  the level will be set for all in that group xx

Hi anaballerina - they're both studying advanced 2, but as they have arranged the groups, would have thought  the level will be set for all in that group xx

They are doing so well to be in advanced 2 and not a voc school :)  looking forward to dancing alongside them on the day

They are doing so well to be in advanced 2 and not a voc school :)  looking forward to dancing alongside them on the day

Will be lovely to see you too - the girls are both looking forward to it - it sounds like a lovely experience and not high pressure, best to dance and enjoy it  ;)

My DD will be doing level 4, not done this comp before so not sure what to expect. Be nice to meet up with you all.

I'm in level four and it's my first time too:) I wont know anyone as I'm the only one from my clas doing it:) some littlies from G5 and Inter are doing it too xx