Genee Dance Challenge 2014

Happymum

If the level 3 winner has been studying Adv 1 alongside intermediate but has not taken her intermediate exam and was under 16 on 1 January 2014, that doesn't breach any rules and I am sure that all of the winners across the levels were more than deserving. As Kat09 says, many children including my DD study more than one level especially as they reach the vocational grades and may want to maximize their dancing time and the challenges they set themselves in class.

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 4

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kat09 I'm not sure that would work for everyone, if a dancer only has access to RAD training locally then dancers need to progress at a reasonable pace through the grades ( not just notching up exams ) to be training/ learning at the vocational levels to be in a strong position to audition at 16.

It is very hard for them to set a completely fair criteria. I am chuffed to bits for our 3 entrants who won and received commendation in level one and won level two. But it was hard to know which group our level two girl should go in, she is only just 14 so being in level 4 now she has done her Inter was rather daunting for her and in grade terms she has not yet done grade 6. They were all on a high at the end of day one - obviously oblivious to results at that stage, and the level two entrant really enjoyed having less challenging work and being able to let herself go and develop her sense of musicality etc. I think all the entrants should be congratulated and really pleased for your daughter Kat09 I love her work! Just sad now I am on maternity leave and won't be able to go to Antwerp to watch. But think my DDs will miss me and I them too much. Hopefully our principal will go. Well done to all.

• Like 3

Chaperone I totally agree with what you say but I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "not just notching up exams", because while this shows technical ability I don't feel it allows the young dancer to explore and progress and develop the all round faculty which helps the dancer achieve success at 16 when auditioning for vocational schools. This is of course only my opinion and it's lovely to hear what others think.

• Like 2

Just to add our students run their grades alongside vocational grades which is quite common in a lot of RAD schools. We do this as we feel that grade 6-8 requires a certain amount of maturity (I trained with Val Sunderland who created a lot of the work and always emphasised this) indeed grade 5 also now so we do not like pushing through lower grades. The Inter Found and Inter compliment the higher grade work so we find this works well. Obviously this is not always an available option.

• Like 3

I agree too - rules are rules, and the criteria for entry were adhered to.  Perhaps in future events the age of the entrants might be taken into consideration as well as grade. :)

Yes, or even taking into account the level being studied/equivalent standard instead of purely "last exam taken". When studying Vocational Grades a student could feasibly need to take two years or longer between actually taking the exams - for all sorts of reasons - but be at a much more advanced standard overall due to maturity and what they've been working on in the meantime. It must be difficult for the RAD to fathom it all out to make it as fair as possible on everyone. I don't envy them that job!

In any case, it is a lovely experience and a chance to be taught by some wonderful teachers. I do hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

• Like 1

I actually think they stated "level being studied". Therefore someone who had just taken their Intermediate exam after entering the forms but had done no further work towards the next exam could still be in Level 3. It was only in the case of Level 4 where it was stated that the Advanced 2 exam could not have been taken. In any case, we all submitted our forms and the RAD decided the levels so we must have faith in the fact they placed everyone where they considered appropriate for their age and level.

Edited by Bailarin

I'm just reading the information pack, and under 'Solos - Guidelines for Teachers' it says:

"Steps and movements should be made up from vocabulary appropriate to the candidate's level"

As always, these things are open to interpretation, but my understanding of this would be that (for example) the solo of someone who has not yet taken Inter Foundation is expected to contain vocabulary up to and including Inter Foundation, since that is the level at which they are studying.

• Like 2