Genee Dance Challenge 2014

Happymum

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finically finished my solo an bought my costume:) can't wait now:) :)

Well done anaballerina, still searching for a costume and teacher tweaking solo so you are doing well, exciting, looking forward to meeting you!

if you dont mind me asking what costume did you buy and from where- i dont know if to bring my tutu or just buy a dress? 

and Bankrupt mum what type of costume are you looking at too?

DD can't enter - she would have liked to but is already booked elsewhere... :(

We know someone entering, they have no idea what to wear, and are a bit puzzled.

Costumes - The RAD says a simple tutu, leotard or other costume, yet the previous years' winners on their facebook page are wearing the full kit - sequins, tiara, the lot!

Perhaps others who have knowledge of watching the competition in previous years can shed some light on things...?

I think the confusion re costumes might have occurred as the girls on the RAD FB page are girls who entered the International Genee Competition (some of them were previous winners of the Genee Dance Challenge). The international competition is a completely separate competition, and the Genee Dance Challenge in the past has been run as a fundraising event for the International Competition.

My child entered the Genee Dance Challenge in 2012 and I was lucky enough to watch the performers in her "level" and also those within another level as a friend's child was competing too.

Within both groups there was a range of costumes, but as I said in my previous post, a few had tutus, but mainly the costumes were very simple. Most girls wore a leotard and skirt or a lyrical type dress. The emphasis is very much on the choreography, the technique and the dance quality of the student.

The students changed into their costumes halfway through the second day, so certainly for the younger students, the simpler the better!

As far as hair went, again most had a bun with a small adornment to match the costume. It certainly wasn't a tiara fest.

• Like 1

Not sure where it's from my mum got it haha!x

is there any chance you could ask please? dont worry if not but ive searched everywhere and cant find a nice one! 

yes i dont really want to bring my tutu all the way up to wales but if i cant find a costume then i will do  

thanks for the help !!

Well it seems 6 of the level 4 girls are linked to the forum, how lovely xx

And another! I'm Katie and i'm in Level 4 too! :)

I've never ever done anything like this before, I just thought it would be fun! I was worried it would be all prima bun heads in level 4 so i was nervous, but everyone seems nice, yay! 

• Like 3

I've never ever done anything like this before, I just thought it would be fun! I was worried it would be all prima bun heads in level 4 so i was nervous, but everyone seems nice, yay! 

and if i get a place probably me aswell ! thats 8 out of the 15!! over half how funny!!

thats so funny! Hope you get in! :)

Is anyone else feeling  nervous? I don't want to be the only non- skinny mini perfect dancer haha!

dont worry im far from skinny and im non-voc so im sure i wont be great either!!

Sounds like we have something in common LittleBallerina! (: when did you apply? Yesterday there was one space left - hopefully it's yours!

yes hopefully ill have someone to talk to since i dont htink i know anyone going!im not sure- i applied via post last week but hadnt heard conformation and when i saw there was only one place left i emailed julie bowers who said not to worry i had a place :) 

is there any chance you could ask please? dont worry if not but ive searched everywhere and cant find a nice one! 

yes i dont really want to bring my tutu all the way up to wales but if i cant find a costume then i will do  

thanks for the help !!

wear moi she had it from on their online shop:)

I'm in level four too and I'm also non-voc:) where abouts are you coming from? xx

I'm coming from Newcastle - 8 and a half hour drive!! Can't wait though, and I'm 15 :) xx

im from london and thatll be about a 4 hour drive! but im really excited it just sounds like a less stressful performance opportunity and really fun - im 16 but really short haha

I totally agree! It will be fun! Are you in adv. 1? :) and oh I'm really tall so we're even :') xx

yeah advances 1 are you ? haha tall is definatly better than short!!