Midland Theatre Ballet - Snow White 2015

annaliesey

MTB is just a great experience for young dancers and the teaching is fantastic.  I think MTB was the turning point for my DD.  They get a comprehensive ballet class at the beginning of each session then they start learning the dances.  DD is just about to start auditions for vocational schools and if by the some lucky chance she gets in DD will miss MTB very much.

• Like 3

I did MTB for 2 years and loved it! It helped me a lot in terms of performance technique and greatly improved my confidence. I also learnt a lot about the choreography process and how vital it is to pick up information very quickly and to be able to adapt when the choreographer alters the steps!! Everyone gets plenty of 'stage time' and those cast in smaller roles get quite a few parts. The rehearsals at BRB studios are lovely- but there is a lot of waiting around!!! Especially in term 3 rehearsals are from 10am-4pm and all students have to attend. The teachers are very good- they are strict but kind. I was in the older group (13-16) and it felt like there was some favouritism in terms of roles- Miss Lisa who is the director runs her own dance school so her students got most of the main roles I thought but everyone was happy with their roles regardless. The guest teachers are very good too and overall I would say it is a wonderful experience worth the fees!!! At the audition it will be a simple ballet class so tell dd not to worry, they look for potential, a love of performing, and musicality. They may ask for a short improvisation or mime in character as one of the people from the ballet so ensure DD knows the storyline, which they dance in groups. All of the teachers are very friendly your dd will love it!! :) xx

• Like 1

I am a little confused by your comment swanprincess - none of the students in the main roles in the last show were from the directors dance school - they were either vocational students of from other dance schools. Surely the main roles were given to students who were able to perform them?

• Like 1

I am probably wrong but I thought that in both shows Miss Lisa's students tended to be favoured over others- obviously this is just my personal opinion, and lead roles were also given to other students- I am sorry if my comment seemed unfair, but from my perspective (having only been cast in minor corps de ballet roles) I felt that some students weren't given solo roles who would've danced them well (not meaning myself, but in Sleeping Beauty I noticed that certain students were given two solo roles, such as a Fairy and the Prince's Sister, and thus dancing two solos as well as corps de ballet work- in my opinion I think it would be fairer to distribute the solo roles more equally- after all, everyone who got in passed the audition and we are paying the same amount of money!) I meant no offence in my previous comment and sincerely apologise for any caused- in hindsight, I may have been mistaken in thinking that some students went to Miss Lisa's dance school when in reality they went elsewhere. Sorry for rambling and I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say- obviously just my opinion :) x

• Like 2

Thank you so much for really useful comments and whether right or wrong perception is important :)

Up until now my dd has just wanted to do everything dance including hip hop and belly dancing if I would let her and she just gravitates towards anything with an opportunity to perform! She has boundless energy and even dances in her sleep :)

However getting through EYB audition has been a turning point recently (and that's without even doing anything yet) and she now wants to drop a few other non ballet classes if it made room for more ballet.

I'm lucky that I don't have another sibling to worry about and I can drive her about to things and give up quite a bit of time but I just want to choose wisely for something that will be a good use of time and money (if she's lucky enough to get things) for the stage that she's at with ballet as she's still pretty new to this side of things and doing anything outside of local dance school.

At 9 it would be great to have some good role models, boosting confidence, and developing technique would just be awesome regardless of any parts as she would be happy with anything.

We'll certainly do some homework re watching production if I can find it. She'd be scared stiff of improvisation though so she'll have to have a good think about that so thanks v much for that tip :)

Thanks so much again :)

At 9 it would be great to have some good role models, boosting confidence, and developing technique would just be awesome regardless of any parts as she would be happy with anything.

We'll certainly do some homework re watching production if I can find it. She'd be scared stiff of improvisation though so she'll have to have a good think about that so thanks v much for that tip :)

Don't worry about the improvisation part - this is probably something they are more likely to expect from the older teenagers :)

• Like 1

We also cannot speak highly enough of MTB.  DD is really enjoying being a cast member and the teaching the dancers are receiving is excellent.  We're already a little sad that we know DD can't carry on next season with Snow White because she'll be taking up a place at vocational school.

It is a commitment but it's very worthwhile and the dancers get to work with great teachers in great studios.  

If anyone is considering it, we would definitely say go for it :)

• Like 5

Is anyone going to the older age group Auditions for Snow white?

We watched MTB performance of Beauty and the Beast last year and were astounded at the quality of the production but were too late to audition for this years  the lion the witch and the wardrobe. My DD would love to be in Snow white and is very nervous about auditioning just wondered if anyone else was going to the preliminaries on Sunday 26th?

My DD is in her second year of MTB and loves every minute.  The teaching is second to none, my DD has gained bags of confidence from this experience and we will absolutely be re-auditioning!  I would highly recommend to anyone who is considering.

From the website, the audition dates are January 26th and February 23rd.

• Like 2