Auditions and funding

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

I am interested to know if people are going ahead and auditioning for 6th form places even when they know that the (lack of) Dada funding will be an issue? Are you generally being optimistic that some other form of funding will turn up or only auditioning for the schools hat offer student loans?

Bit of a dilemma here as to what to do!! To audition, knowing that n reality a school that offers Dadas is out of the question, or not?

Edited to add a bit

Edited by mum in a spin

We are a year away from applying yet , so I may change my tune, but I think if I knew for sure we had no hope of getting a dada due to family income and could not afford the full fees I would not send my dd to audition at Dada schools but stick to those courses financed with student loans

• Like 3

We are only auditioning at schools that offer DADAs (admittedly MT ratherthan Ballet)

If she doesn't get a DADA she can't go :(

I think other things will be affecting applications & more importantly acceptances this year.  Changing the English Lang syllabus mid year will affect a lot of children; & while last year they could move on & study a to retake as & when, this year they can't 'leave' school unless they have passed - so unless the colleges are offering GCSEs children may be unable to accept places.  Maths has always been a tricky one for some people to pass & again this throws up the same problem.

Also last year the DADA thing was announced so late it didn't impact on the numbers of auditionees, although it will have affected places accepted.  This year everyone knows in advance what the situation is therefore it will affect peoples plans

Unless they change it again!

I have no idea if the purely classical schools offer additional funding but last year at Laine they offered 6 further scholarships as well as the dada funding so it may be worth a phone call to the schools you are applying to and asking. Both Urdang and Hammond offer bursaries too.

• Like 3

At the three auditions that my DD has been to so far none of them have said that numbers of applicants are down this year due to the dada system, in fact one of them said that they would be auditioning over 1000 people for 100 places. With those sort of numbers it's going to be extremely difficult to get a dada but I suppose someone has to get them!!

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

I know that getting a dada will be hard enough but I was thinking about those hat know they won't be able to afford it even if they do get a dada or those that will be over the threshold but still unable to pay. I didn't think that this would be one of the hardest parts of the process!!

• Like 1

Even with a DADA costs are still horrific, so thankful my DD is being very practical and appreciating the great training she has at home and will look to audition for degree courses at 18.  In the meantime gain academic qualifications to line her up for a degree in a different field if things dont work out.

1000 applicants at £45 pounds a time - somebody is coming out a winner!

• Like 8

Guest Autumn days

I don't know why but Tring and Royal Ballet are the only schools to offer MDS at 6th form level. They are both means tested but the threshold for MDS is at least twice as high as it is for Dadas so far more people are able to benefit from them so yes, MDS is better but not an option for most schools!! I think at Tring it is only existing pupils, too, that can have MDS and new people can only have a dada.

• Like 1

As has been commented on in a different thread, when calculating total income you are given a small allowance for further siblings at home with MDS but not with DADA.  Some schools also offer further funding for BUPA cover, uniform etc under MDS but not DADA some schools dont offer anything additional for either scheme - nothing is standard!

Cornish princess if your daughter is truly understanding the situation and wants to go ahead with these auditions then that is a brave decision on her part.

It may be worth it then to check the schools which DO offer their own bursaries as in theory your daughter could then be offered one of these if they like her.

Whether if she was offered a place somewhere as a result of these auditions that she was unable to take up for financial reasons and things WERE to change a bit in the future then this could go in her favour if she had to audition again at a future date.

This is tough though and not all DD's could cope with it all but wishing her lots of luck if she does.

DD only auditioned at places with DADAs but she knew full well that without funding she could not take up a place but at least there was always a possibility of funding.  I think that scenario must be quite common.  I think it is a little different if you audition for a school that only offers DADAs or self funding and you are not eligible for a DADA (because of income) and cannot afford to self fund.  How could you then accept an offer?  The audition process is expensive enough and in those circumstances I think we would have only been looking at places whose courses were funded by student loans.

Guest Autumn days

....... I think it is a little different if you audition for a school that only offers DADAs or self funding and you are not eligible for a DADA (because of income) and cannot afford to self fund.  How could you then accept an offer?  The audition process is expensive enough and in those circumstances I think we would have only been looking at places whose courses were funded by student loans.

That is the very situation I am talking about, 2Dancersmum!!

I know that we have to make our own minds up and and will probably go ahead anyway "just in case" but I just wondered if others in that position are still going to auditions or waiting until next year in the hope things change!

All this makes rather depressing reading! Why would we send our offspring away to vocational school at 11, enduring all the sacrifice that entails (both financial and emotional) if there is so very little chance of them ever being able to progress to 6 th form? (Even if they are lucky enough to make it through all the appraisals and pitfalls along the way) I do hope the situation improves, it seems so wrong that even if a pupil has made it to the dizzying heights of being offered a 6th form place, it ultimately all comes down to finance no matter talented they may be

• Like 4

Hi Mum in a spin. My daughter will be in the position that you are talking about. She is also only interested in classical ballet so her choices for schools are restricted in the first place. Despite this, she has decided to apply anyway as, having done RBS associates for years and got to WL finals in year 7 & year 9 she wants to know whether or not she would have been good enough. A personal achievement you might say! If she is turned down for training she will know she tried her best & if offered a place she understands she probably won't be able to accept it. She is lucky to be a straight A* student so will then switch to her academics and a career in medicine. I suppose a worse scenario would be not auditionimg then later hearing of a way she could have accepted a place. Even if she does not become a ballerina, to have made the grade would certainly be an achievement noone could ever take away from her!Sometimes, when looking forward and striving for new goals, it is easy to forget what has already been achieved. Experiences in life are never wasted in my opinion. :)

• Like 10