nutrition for male dancers

meadowblythe

Long shot but if the knowledge is anywhere it's here ...

I'm looking for a book for DS who is in halls of residence.  From what I hear he is surving on smoothies, pasta and stir fry.  Nothing wrong with that, but are there any books out there on nutrition for male dancers (including recipes)?

All the books I can find seem to concentrate on reducing body fat which is the last thing he needs to do!  Needs to bulk up a bit, if anything.  Still something of a whippet like build (unfair).

Many thanks for all help

Meadowblythe

NB:  for all of you with short DSs - he has now reached the giddy height of 5'10.5" at the age of 16 and a bit.  Has literally grown 6 inches in 6 months!  

• Like 4

Not quite what you asked but my son is a personal trainer and is serious about body building. He has done a great deal of research. He struggles to get enough calories in so drinks whey powder milk shakes. If you get them off amazon it works out much cheaper.

Not much consolation I know but I am sure that nutrition is one of the topics he will cover at college this year if he is on the BA or the level 6 diploma. My DD had to look at how a dancers diet and requirements differed to the average persons diet, as well as using a computer progamme to analyse her diet and find recipes to boost her intake. I imagine he will get the same through college. I will see if I can find out which websites they had to look at.

My son did the same 6 inches in just a few months and rest assured he will naturally bulk out a little once the upward growth slows down. My son looked decidedly unhealthily skinny for a few months at least.

Other obvious easy things to add to the smoothie, pasta and stir fry list are: jacket potatoes with topping (baked beans & cheese, tuna etc), omelettes - on their own or stuffed, tortilla wraps or pancakes can also have a filling and an easy one my son does if he has a microwave is to put a mixture of cooked meat, vegetables and rice in a bowl together with seasoning (mine does Cajun or india), add water to cover and microwave til rice is cooked. (about 12 mins so very fast)Don't forget pizza too - he can make his own very easily by buying bases or using a naan bread as a base and adding his own toppings.

I also found the following website for you for recipe ideas, though I imagine the ideas would need adapting for a 16 year old to be cooking by himself with time restraints. http://www.danceuk.org/healthier-dancer-programme/recipes/

• Like 2

I've got a book at home 'Nutrition for the Dancer' by Zerlina Mastin. It's available on Amazon I think, about £12. It has loads of really useful info, for male and female dancers, as well as recipes, and nutritional snack ideas too. I think it even breaks the day down into number of hours you dance, and the amount of fuel you need based on your weight too.

• Like 4

Some good sugggestions here, but I'd like to add that it looks like he could do with more protein.  My son eats lots of chicken (as well as pasta and has got much better at his fruit & veg recently, so he tells me)

• Like 2

Thanks all - looks like we may be knee deep in chicken recipes over Christmas as he adds that to the repertoire - and an omelette maker has just been added to the Christmas list.

I must admit the blurb for the Nutrition for the Dancer book made it look very female biased - glad to see it covers males too.

Love it when they learn to cook and all get to do is try the results!  Unfortunately elder non dancing DS has a master baker masquerading as an actor in his flat so he is less likely to cook himself - only complain my baking is not as good as the flat mates!

Meadowblythe

Great to hear that your ds has grown, Meadowblythe. I remember your thread from 18 months ago. Now you have one less thing to worry about! Like Julie, I think that your ds needs to increase his protein intake. Some of the dancers at ENB drink protein shakes; apparently, protein helps with muscle repair. If your ds is not a vegetarian lean red meat is a good source of iron as well as protein, otherwise omelettes are a quick, easy and cheap source of these nutrients. After such a large growth spurt in such a short space of time your ds is bound to be skinny for a while. My own non-ds, who is 15 and a quarter, grew a few inches earlier this year having always been very small in his year (not helped by being an August birthday). I hope that he will grow a bit more as he is still only about 5 foot 7 inches tall. My husband, who is about 6 foot tall but was small most of the way through secondary school, claims that he grew until went to university at 18.

How about getting him a copy of Sam Stern's " Student Cookbook"? Although this is not for dancers, it is full of nutritious, hearty and economical recipes. The book's great fun with lots of pictures and the recipes are written in an engaging way, are simple to follow and encourage students to see cooking as sociable and aspirational. It's packed full of tips and endless variations. I love it!

• Like 2

While I agree that protein is important for muscle repairs/ building a lot of dancers take this messaage and neglect the role of carbohydrate in their diet. Students need a lot of calories and if they aren't getting them from carbohydrates they'll break down the body's own stores from fat, and if the body fat is low, then muscles - which causes weakness and injury.

I would suggest that right now he needs a healthy balanced diet of protein, carbohydrates, fibre, unsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals and just lots of all of it!