Prix de Lausanne 2014

Here is the link to prize winners - http://www.prixdelausanne.org/press/Prize_Winners_2014Prixdelausanne_Laureats.pdf

I missed the live stream as well, can't wait to see the video...

For those who are curious about the 1st prize winner Haruo Niyama, he is featured in today's video blog (second half of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZd9DulhWYk

Massively impressive performance here.

I liked the 2 Brazilian girls great potential ,not keen on the "for Diego" contemporary piece for the boys but thought the "rite of spring" was terrific.Surprised the French boy got a prize as his classical was not very strong but did well in the contemporary .

Will have to watch the stream again , the judges obviously see the candidates for a whole week and judge on more than the final 

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed the final (and loved Goyo Monteros piece for the Nuremberg Ballet) I liked all of the contemporary pieces too, but (and here I'm aware I'm in the minority) I preferred some of the other female candidates over Precious Adams, (she is lovely, of course). Also liked the Brazilian girls and the Japanese....thought the boys were stronger overall than the girls though....Will have to re watch when the videos are available online, it could be I change my mind !

I am with you on Precious Adams, Ellie.  I also think that boys were stronger this year,  even in the class.

I felt that a lot of the girls could have chosen different variation which would have showed them off better... but then I know those girls are the expert, not me.

• Like 1

Oh, the first prize winner is so sweet.. such an innocent 17 year-old!  So not media-savy for "today's youth"!

In the video blog interview, he went on to say that he was really happy and amazed that other dancers danced so well, so much better than him... That he learned so much during the Prix, was made aware that a lot of basic stuff he would still have to work on, etc,etc.(translation by a Japanese friend of mine).

At the award presentation, asked by Deborah Bull "What would you like to say to your family in Japan?", he said "Well, thank you for your support, I will try harder", complete with a deep bow.  Just wondered if he couldn't believe it himself that he had just won the 1st prize.

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 2

Bless him, he was so touched ! I really do think that the 'taking part' part of the Prix is a prize in itself, winning is maybe the icing on the cake. I don't know of any semi finalists, or finalists who didn't get 'awards' who weren't just completely thrilled with the whole experience. I love watching them all. 

Oh and mimi, I understand what you mean about the variations, for example I would have liked to see Pearl Adams doing something 'zappier' in the classical section and slower in the contemporary....(to really show off those lovely long limbs of hers...) but I guess that's down to personal taste.

Edited by Ellie

The candidates don't have a free choice for their classical solos, there are lists they have to choose from, according to age and of course whether male or female.  But I do agree I would like to see Precious Adams in something more feisty such as Esmeralda or Kitri.

Actually she could have chosen Kitri or even Gasmatti variation, as they are on the list for dancers aged 17 and 18.  I just don't think Aurora suited her in a competition setting.

Here is the list, if you are interested.http://www.prixdelausanne.org/variations/variations.html

• Like 1

Yes well done to Precious Adams looking back through the blogs ,she obviously took on board  all that Monique Loudieres told her,intelligent young lady, I'm sure a company will offer her a place.The winner is a cracking dancer but small difficult nowadays to find a job ,Directors specify minimum height all the time ( please do not mention Wayne Sleep because it was 40 years ago and times have changed)

It is a lovely competition, I feel the candidates are nurtured unlike another in the US where very young  children  do variations that are well beyond them (and on pointe!!!) 

• Like 2

Yes well done to Precious Adams looking back through the blogs ,she obviously took on board  all that Monique Loudieres told her,intelligent young lady, I'm sure a company will offer her a place.The winner is a cracking dancer but small difficult nowadays to find a job ,Directors specify minimum height all the time ( please do not mention Wayne Sleep because it was 40 years ago and times have changed)

I  agree with you on height requirements in today`s ballet companies. A couple of decades ago, it was considered a disadvantage to be too tall, particular for female dancers to be taller than around 5`6 - whereas nowadays girls shorter than 5`5  would struggle to be accepted in a ballet company.

Men nowadays accordingly would want to be over 5`7-ish, I think.  I wonder if Mikhil Barishinikov would have made it in today's ballet world, if selection was made based purely on height...

Well in this year's Prix winner's case, he just might grow a little bit taller, being a 17 year-old boy.

Edited by mimi66

I was referring to the height of men , although small women do find it hard to get jobs unless exceptionally talented (Lucette Aldous was rejected by the Royal it was only after her great success with Rambert and Festival Ballet that she joined RB) Laura Day with BRB is is tiny 5' 00' and very talented .

Well NB are most definitely open to different heights for both men and women.  BRB also have a wide height range.

Sometimes it is hard to judge how tall a person is from looking at them on stage.  I remember many years ago there was a male dancer at LCDT whom I would have guessed was around 5'10".  I stood behind him in a cafe one day and he was no more than 5'6"!

• 3 months later...

Here is where this year's Prix de Lausanne prize winners are going to be.

http://prixdelausanne.tumblr.com/post/84920831076/schools-and-companies-chosen-by-the-prix-de-lausanne

Half of the prize winners chose to come to the UK ! 

2nd prize winner (Sae Maeda) will be at the RBS, 3rd (Precious Adams) will be dancing with the ENB (not sure as an apprentice or a full company member ?), then the 4th (David Fernando Navarro Yudes) with the Royal Ballet (again, not sure if this is as an apprentice or as a full company member).

• Like 1