Paypal

taxi4ballet

From one with many years' experience with them, the most important thing is to remember that Paypal will never send you an email that starts "Dear Paypal Customer" or "Dear Paypal User"; they will only address you by your real name. 

Also if you really want to make sure, and if you do have a PayPal account, don't ever ever ever click on anything in one of these emails, just delete the email and go to PayPal and do your usual sign in, if there is something wrong you will find out there safely.

Edited by victoriapage
  • Like 2

There've been a lot of them recently.  I keep reporting them to Hotmail, I mean Outlook, as phishing scams - never know whether it does any good.

Also, no reputable bank/building society etc. is ever going to ask you for personal details.

By coincidence I caught part of a television programme about just this sort of scam. Apparently if you click on the link and carry out the instructions (e.g. enter your password) the perpetrators can use your details to send out bogus begging emails to all your contacts. Your contacts may then send money to "help you get back from Outer Mongolia" or somewhere else where you have tragically been mugged and lost all your money, passport, mobile phone etc. And of course the scammers could also make purchases or, I presume, steal your identity for all sorts of nefarious purposes.

Follow Victoria Page's advice at No. 5 above - and the same goes for any other bank account, credit card account or anything else which has been "suspended", "access-limited" or "upgraded".

• Like 2

I had a similar email the other day, apparently from Apple, asking me to click on a link and verify my payment details as another IP address had tried to access my account.

I deleted the email and instead went directly into my Apple settings to change my password just in case.