The things they didn't tell you...

taxi4ballet

You'll discover the sights of different towns and cities whilst dc dance.

You'll have enough time to study for a part-time degree whilst sitting in the car/waiting rooms/cafes.

You finally realise how determined your dc is to fulfil their dream and the sacrifices they are willing to make.

You actually enjoy watching ballet.

• Like 8

on the day you take your small child to their first ballet class...

that you would have had to say to your husband that our son has asked to go and is starting ballet lessons...waiting for his response when you told him. :unsure:

(I did have a knife in my hand at the time as I was chopping vegetables up and his reply was 'Oh, OK, why?').

• Like 2

That you could do with 2 washing machines and a magic spray not yet invented to remove the sweat and grime from once white socks and leotards - WHY do they choose white for Boys ?!

That you must persuade a boy of nearly 11 that he must wear skin tight shorts like knickers for JA's

though his ballet teacher says he is old enough for tights on her class!

That there are times when keeping still and not dancing around the supermarket is less embarrassing for DM's

By the way do the Year 7s at Elmhurst wear shorts to dance ?!

Am I going to have to re-visit that particular tantrum again?

That you would end up moving house around good ballet schools... and follow your kids around rather than the other way round...

Edited by afab
  • Like 1

- That you will have to purchase a sat nav system to ensure that you get from A to B

- That french lessons will be helpful for mums

- That you never put dance tights in the dryer

- that you will never again watch a programme on tv withour arms, legs and hair flying through your vision whilst your dd pirouettes round the room

- that your house will look a permanent tip as you are never in it to clean or tidy it

- that you and your dancing child will make friends for life

- that the pride you feel in their wonderful talent makes your heart burst

- that it all worth it to see their faces come alive, even though you have spent a small fortune on shoes, clothes and hair nets, plus the new hoover & washing machine!

- Most importantly - you are likely to have a confident, graceful and happy child who is capable of making their way in the world whatever they finally end up doing!

• Like 10

- that you'll be so grateful for ballet when they turn (overnight) into a hormonal teenager and it's the one topic you can discuss that doesn't dissolve into an argument; and

- that, despite all their friends having boy/girl friends, they reject all advances with the statement 'you're a good friend, but I simply don't have time for a boyfriend and I don't let anything distract me from ballet'. Yes DD's dad LOVEs that one! :-)

• Like 8

- that you'll be so grateful for ballet when they turn (overnight) into a hormonal teenager and it's the one topic you can discuss that doesn't dissolve into an argument; and

- that, despite all their friends having boy/girl friends, they reject all advances with the statement 'you're a good friend, but I simply don't have time for a boyfriend and I don't let anything distract me from ballet'. Yes DD's dad LOVEs that one! :-)

I can relate to the non-boyfriend part. I was so terrified in my teens of having a boyfriend and , maybe getting pregnant, thereby throwing a career as a dancer away, that i avoided the opposite sex as if they were lepers.  Didn`t even kiss a boy until i was living in Paris when I was nearly 20. By this time i though i could relax  and enjoy myself a bit.!!!