Janet Cram

BankruptMum

• 2 weeks later...

Yes all the best to everyone !

It's our first time for this and we are off on an adventure to find the Magna Carta Arts Centre tommorow for the southern regionals ...

Wondering how many junior boys there will be ......

Does anyone know if Elmhurst allow students to take part ?

My DS loves modern even more than ballet , so it is going to be a sacrifice for him to give that up ! Hoping the jazz / contemporary / tap content of the curriculum will help to compensate !

• Like 1

Good luck for the Cram comp. There weren't any boys in the senior section for the south west although there were a few in the junior section. Cram isn't a competition Elmhurst support, they really focus their training on classical styles. The tap/jazz is very laid back in comparison.

• Like 2

I agree with Bankrupt Mum. our DS did a lot of tap, and whilst the teacher at Elmhurst is super, the number of lessons is very small, mixed ability and quite crowded. Just enough to keep him from going rusty really.

But after all, Elmhurst is a classical ballet school, so that emphasis is to be expected.

• Like 3

We had a lovely day at the Janet Cram southern regionals today!

There were 4 other Boys in the junior section 2 of which were very good.

Although there rather a few dancers who were more gymnasts than dancers -( something the adjudicators also commented on ! ) - the standard was high and most were a pleasure to watch !

So 13 juniors were put through to the finals including my DS Nd one of his best friends .

We could not stay till the end of the seniors as we had a rehearsal to attend .

So exhausted but happy !!!!

Back to normal life school tommorow - but at least the year6. SATS are over .

Next is the All England Finals where we will spend all of our half term !!!

• Like 2

My dd went to the finals last year. The Shaw Theatre is a very nice intimate venue just a short walk from Kings Cross and St Pancras stations. Good luck to all the finalists this year. All the competitors are if a very high standard, it was a pleasure to watch them all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So now the AED regionals are over , a quick breath and get ready for JC finals !

Train tickets purchased , costume washed , last run through booked , T-shirt ordered - ready to go!

It's our first time - interested to see there is no syllabus content , so I am presuming there is a freework class similar to the one at the semmis ? !

No she didn't compete this year due to having taken her grade 5 modern exam so not qualifying for Junior. Also there are a lot of good modern dancers at her dance school, so as she has done it for the last three years, it wasn't her turn this year. Good luck for Sunday.

• Like 1

Best wishes to all the finalists for tomorrow. We are looking forward to a lovely day out watching some amazing dancers. DD's duet partner dancing in Seniors and two other girls from our dance school dancing in the Premier Section! Plus loads of other dd's festival friends from all round the country also competing!

Juniors over - phew- no mishaps DS got a special commendation , but there was no outright winner of the boys as they were " inconsistent" between their class work and solos .

We were quite surprised about the winner but not the runners up !

A super standard of dance to watch .

We will be back to see the premiers after a pizza!

• Like 3

Thanks for that. Lucy's had a good week at AED regional finals so I'm slightly surprised she didn't get more than the class prize ;-)

Heard from a couple of friends in Seniors, no awards but enjoyed taking part.

Well done everyone.

We were very surprised by the Senior winner too.  In the past Cram have support the use of strong technique but this year went for a much more gymnastic approach.

The judging panel seemed to be looking more along the lines of a festival than Cram requirements.  At Regionals they were very much looking for strong technique rather than tricks.

The boys were offered no prizes at all with no explanation which seemed a little unfair and unusual

So all in all surprises all round :-)  Very pleased with my daughters performance, she responded quickly to classwork and danced with lovely confidence.  A good experience for her.

• Like 8