balletmadmom

Hello I just thought I should let you all know that once again YDA have got four students into

White Lodge (and one on the waiting list) for september. Two girls have got Into year 10 (always tricky as the places are so rare after year 7) and a boy and girl into year 7.

The year 11s are doing their final auditions as ENB, elmhurst, central etc. but they have already been offered places at northern, millenium and laines,

This time next year it will be my daughter doing the upper school auditions!

Clearly Anna du Boisson and her fellow teachers have been doing something very right.

• Like 4

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Autumn days

They are a force to be reckoned with!

Can you post or PM me details of these classes - how to contact the new studio etc? Are they drop in or do you have to book? May be worth a try!

I think there are certain ballet schools around the country that have excellent teaching that tend to almost act as 'feeder schools' for RBS associates and school because they know how to spot talent and train it appropriately.

• Like 1

I just wish YDA had some MDS places!

Our local school now has a pupil there and another one has just got a place.

Sadly at almost £4,000 a term it is - as we have said before - WAY out of financial reach for many people.

• Like 6

Not quite sure what you mean, gingerbread. Anna has given scholarships to many children in the past in whom she's seen potential but who can't afford the fees. The school survives on a shoestring. Not only do they provide fantastic training but the academics are good and getting better. The pastoral care is second to none. All that for a lot less than most london private schools. I'm sure in the future there will be MDS places but p,ease don't forget, YDA is a very young school but already a force to be reckoned with and practically a feeder school to WL.

• Like 1

I see your point sophika9899, but obviously with only 8? pupils in each year the school must only be able to give a very few scholarships. It's clear how good a school YDA is, and long may their success continue.

But I would ask posters to bear in mind that for various reasons, YDA and other privately funded schools are completely and utterly out of reach for many people, even with a scholarship.

• Like 2

I have to say that when my dd had a very informal visit to YDA several years ago first the staff were wonderful. Anna certainly knows her craft. I had taken my dd to audition for the YDA Saturday selected classes, however, Anna offered my dd a very generous scholarship. It was a big mistake of mine not to have grabbed that with both hands. I didnt because my dd had started at another vocational school and was in year 10 so starting her GCSEs. My dd did attend the Saturday classes alongside the Royal associates. Anna was wonderful with her, helping her to build her shattered confidence and guiding her with her auditions. She didnt have to do any of those things considering my dd was being trained elsewhere. I will always be grateful to Anna and her staff.

• Like 6

It is fantastic what has been achieved by YDA and also West London School of Dance, however what some people seem to forget is that YDA although relatively small and new is still a vocational school where the pupils are doing the same amount of dance per week as pupils at the three main vocational schools. Also many of the pupils at YDA are JA's MA's and SA's when they join the school (and carry on being so whilst at YDA) so in truth have already been singled out by the RBS, YDA also have a teacher in common with the RBS associate scheme. I know several teachers who have lost their JA, MA, SA pupils to either WLSD or YDA as parents obviously feel once they have talked to other associate parents that these are the schools that will give their children the most career opportunities. Although I have no doubt that this is  the case, and as said before the students and teaching are excellent, it also quite sad for those teachers that lose the pupils that they have worked so hard with to get them to associate standard and are then given no thanks for the invaluable work they have put in, some parents seem to have very short memories. As WLSD has charity status and obviously has some extremely generous benefactors (which can be seen on their web page) it is very hard for your every day local ballet teacher to compete.  One thing White Lodge is very good at is keeping ex teachers in the loop and allowing them to still feel part of their ex pupils current training. The people that really should be congratulated here are the local dance school that got three pupils in to White Lodge this year that is truly amazing.

• Like 5

Gingerbread

My ds went along for evening classes and Anna offered him a scolarship in YDA.

Have you enquired before you think it is out of your reach. Never know :)

Edited by Spax

My dd has chosen to stay at her very academic school to get - hopefully - 13 or 14 GCSEs as she is extremely academic. It has to be her choice as she's the one who has to do all the work. :-)

At the moment she is coping with dance 6 days a week and her homework, so I am happy to let her continue. She adores her school, her local ballet teacher, and her Associate Classes, so wants to carry on as she is for the next couple of years.

The journey to West London would take almost 2 hours each way in any case, as she wouldn't want to live in someone else's house.

• Like 3

Guest Autumn days

This is an interesting subject and obviously one close to my heart. I think that one of the disadvantaged of being at a "local" school is that one can remain a big fish in a small pond and lose sight of who is swimming around in the big pond. summer schools etc are helpful but not all are selective and  we have found that they can be of variable standard. My dd therefore feels that she does not really know what she will be up against next year. One of my regrets is that she did not audition for a yr 10 place as that would have been a good preparation for 6th form and given an indication of her level, even if she didn't want to go. Having missed that boat I would certainly advise anyone wishing to make a career out of this to keep auditioning!

• Like 1