Orthopaedic assesments at Upper School auditions?

HumflyDumfly

Well it was a while back but at the final audition for Elmhurst there was a physio assessment too. Actually it was funny because loads came out saying "ooh I have one leg shorter" etc.  It was quite quick and seemed a baseline view. Checked spine hips etc. Certainly was nothing to worry about.

It is also probably worth holding the view that if they do find something that will make ballet very difficult as a long term future career better to find out then than later down the line.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Welcome from me too and I also love the name  :D

Julie's summed it up well - and don't worry about the lack of swaybacks or arched feet - those aren't always seen as desirable!  It's really nothing to worry about.

Good luck for the audition(s)

• Like 2

If your daughter has pleasing strong feet and legs that are well stretched with good pulled up knees then I don't think not having the sway back legs and highly arched feet will go against her.

I am writing this out on my phone so any poor English and dodgy spellings its not me it's the phone he he.

• Like 2

They're likely to be looking for extreme leg length differences, scoliosis, passive hip rotation (an indicator of turnout) and hypermobility. Often schools do this in place of a screening at the beginning of the academic year and merely keep the information on file. Or it can raise an issue (eg scoliosis) that was unknown and may make a career in ballet more tricky. Although there are professionals with scoliosis.

• Like 1

Swanprincess.... It would be difficult to say as every case is different. A lot depends on how the curve is affected during puberty and the growth spurt. All I know is that some schools are very strict about it (to the point of not giving places to children with scoliosis) and others are happier to assess it gradually. The best person to ask is an orthopaedic surgeon/consultant who works with dancers. Dance UK have a list of practitioners.

• Like 2

I am very interested in this as my DD has been monitored for scoliosis and has now been told she should have a back brace. This will have to be worn 20 hours a day, not sure for how long but potentially until she stops growing. She is 14. We are rather knocked sideways by this. She was at vocational school for a couple of years and scoliosis was not picked up (though she did always seem to be being told one shoulder was higher than another). It seems that it has worsened recently, presumably due to a growth spurt, so I guess it was not yet an issue at the school. She is still dancing but not as much as at voc school of course. It seems the curve is still fairly mild but they are concerned about progression - has progressed 5-8 degrees in past six months (taking it up to around 28 degrees). I have spoken to our very good physio and she has spoken to her dance teacher who are supportive but both think it is worth 'embracing the brace'. The brace looks pretty awful - esp to her - but I was assured they are not too cumbersome by the lady who just called to make her appointment at the orthotics dept. Just sharing this really, and apologies if taking off topic more, but if anyone has any advice or experience I'd be keen to find someone to share this with! I think she will be given exercises and am told that she should definitely continue to exercise including dance, which will undoubtedly help, + pilates and swimming recommended. It just seems very tough on a teenager and I know we will have to give her all the support we can. 

Keep working with your physio, and the orthopaedic consultants who you're dealing with, who are the best people to advise you and your DD. The back braces are worrying at first but people do get used to them, and they do their job. The growth spurt will most likely have had something to do with it, but it may even out once she's finished growing. There are dancers with scoliosis. People can dance wearing the brace, in fact it often helps add a bit of core stability!

• Like 1