The National Ballet of Japan to perform at Royal Opera House in July 2025

Giselle

The Royal Opera House, London, UK

24 - 27 July, 2025 (5 Performances)

"Giselle" is our second new production in YOSHIDA Miyako's term as Artistic Director of Ballet & Dance. YOSHIDA, together with British choreographer Alastair MARRIOT, who has a long time successful career at the Royal Ballet, will work to recreate one of the most enduring masterpieces of 19th century romantic ballet. One of the major highlights is the set design by Dick BIRD. Inspired by Lithuania's Hill of Crosses, BIRD's design showcases a blend of Christianity and indigenous cultures.

Edited by Roberta
  • Thanks 1

I was at the press conference today at the National Ballet of Japan. 

This tour to the Royal Opera House is not as a guest of the ROH, the company is responsible for the tour. But of course this came possible as Miyako Yoshida was former principal at the Royal Ballet and also partnered Kevin O'Hare at BRB, this relationship helped to make this tour happen. 

Here is a clip from the 1st act Giselle solo by Ayako Ono, one of their best ballerinas. (another great ballerina who should be doing Giselle is Yui Yonezawa)

https://youtu.be/enZHFYf0qGI?si=scguws561xwEm0F1

The designs by Dick Bird are also very impressive, quite a beautiful one especially at the second act. 

Another news clip

https://youtu.be/rmbQm7P-JCw?si=6bjIYwJ-2oRFTrt0

My review on Bachtrack.

https://bachtrack.com/review-giselle-marriott-ono-okumura-national-ballet-japan-tokyo-october-2022

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

It is so nice to see that some balletic alternatives are being made available for ROH summer rentals post pandemic - and in the midst of savage wars  - to educate, entertain, soothe and serve British balletomanes.  Our concerted thanks to those at the Kinoshita Group and others who may follow in their courageous like.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Naomi M said:

The name of the theatre is New National Theatre but the ballet company's name is National Ballet of Japan,

so I think the title should be changed to National Ballet of Japan to perform at Royal Opera House. 

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/english/ballet-dance/

”The resident company of the theatre is the National Ballet of Japan”

Dear Moderator 

Naomi M is absolutely right.

When you have a moment, could you amend ‘New National Theatre, Tokyo’ part to The National Ballet of Japan? 

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to The National Ballet of Japan to perform at Royal Opera House in July 2025
7 hours ago, Naomi M said:

This tour to the Royal Opera House is not as a guest of the ROH, the company is responsible for the tour. But of course this came possible as Miyako Yoshida was former principal at the Royal Ballet and also partnered Kevin O'Hare at BRB, this relationship helped to make this tour happen. 

What does this mean exactly? Does it just mean that the company has to pay for the venue?

13 hours ago, TSR101 said:

What does this mean exactly? Does it just mean that the company has to pay for the venue?

Yoshida said so. They are paying for the venue, but they also receive the revenue from the ticket sales.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Naomi M said:

Yoshida said so. They are paying for the venue, but they also receive the revenue from the ticket sales.  

How would this differ to the arrangements for the Bolshoi for example where they invited guests?

8 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

How would this differ to the arrangements for the Bolshoi for example where they invited guests?

I believe that anyone who uses the ROH aside from the 'home' companies has to pay to rent it.  There might be the odd exception, but I don't think the Opera House has the financial luxury of being able to support visiting companies (staff, insurance, electricity and everything else involved).

• Like 1

An alternative financial contract would be for the venue or event promoters to pay a fixed fee to the performing group in return for taking on the full profit (or not) from ticket sales.   This is how Natalia Osipova’s Bloom Dance Project and other independent artists operate.  

On 29/02/2024 at 15:55, jonac said:

Didn't read closely enough; thought it was this year. Thanks for your correcting me.

I suppose there won’t be a ballet company visiting this year then? Otherwise they probably would have announced it already.