BA degree at Rambert and London Studio Centre

Mala

We are new here, hello to all. We are parents of a 16yr old girl who has so far passed exams up to Classical Cecchetti Advanced II and Contemporary Grade 6. She is looking into BA course to further her studies. While she wants to keep regular classical lessons, she wants to follow the Contemporary route as a Performer, to eventually (in future years) move into choreography.

She has been offered a place in a good school in New York but that is out of our pockets. She is auditioning at two schools - Rambert and London Studio Centre.

We hate to compare and we don’t mean any disrespect but we would appreciate feedback on both schools. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Mala said:

We are new here, hello to all. We are parents of a 16yr old girl who has so far passed exams up to Classical Cecchetti Advanced II and Contemporary Grade 6. She is looking into BA course to further her studies. While she wants to keep regular classical lessons, she wants to follow the Contemporary route as a Performer, to eventually (in future years) move into choreography.

She has been offered a place in a good school in New York but that is out of our pockets. She is auditioning at two schools - Rambert and London Studio Centre.

We hate to compare and we don’t mean any disrespect but we would appreciate feedback on both schools. Thank you!

I know Rambert has produced successful choreographers. I suppose it’s more well known for contemporary so if that’s the route your daughter wants it might be the preferred school.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Mala.  I hope someone will be able to give you the information you need.  In the meantime, try clicking on the tags I've added and see if they bring up anything useful.

• Like 1

If it has any bearing on your thoughts, LSC charge an additional, not inconsiderate, sum of money on top of the degree grant to undertake the degree course with them. This is on top of any extra costs for resources etc. Rambert, to my memory, only charge the £9000 ( or whatever it is ) degree grant that all students are eligible for. 

However, my understanding is that all diploma courses are self funded. 

• Like 1

If your daughter is seriously considering contemporary and choreography, then Rambert would stand out for me. It’s a seriously outstanding and in depth contemporary degree course which pushes the boundaries in terms of creativity and thinking out the box. You would be well set up for a contemporary career and inspirational for choreography too.

• Like 3

My daughter is currently on the Rambert Pre Vocational course and loving it. She's just auditioned at London Studio Centre and about to an Rambert along with Northern Contemporary in Leeds. Like your daughter she's also 16. She's also in another youth dance company with other dancers at LSC. Both schools are good, in fact my daughter had a dance teacher who when training was offered a place at Rambert and LSC and she opted for LSC because of travel / location.

LSC fees are £16750 per year and you can get a £6k loan for fees, sadly not the full £9250 as LSC get their degrees validated through Middlesex University. I think the same may be true for Rambert. Their fees are £9250 per annum and it may be that the max you can get as a student loan for fees is £6k there too, as their degrees are validated by University of Kent.

It's worth remembering that both Rambert and LSC do 2 year Foundation Degrees first, with a 3rd year 'top-up' to a full BA. This means especially for 16 yrs old, they could do 2yrs at Rambert / LSC and then go elsewhere too since they are only 18 at that point. There are a number of dance schools that only take students from 18, e.g. London Contemporary - The Place.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

My Dd went to LSC and had a very good time. Very good teachers and a friendly school. Everyone has an individual timetable and because there are four strands students support and encourage each other.

We know several that have gone onto classical companies, musicals and cruises. It provides good opportunities to branch out too as there are classes in jazz, tap, MT, contemporary and heels. 
Fees are higher but rent at Chester House is only 8-9K per year so a lot cheaper than other places. Chester House includes food too.

• Like 1