Yorkshire Ballet Seminars (YBS) 2024

BarbaraH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for info.....those of you who drive and would be using the A59 to Harrogate through the Blubberhouses....that road is closed from mid April for 15 weeks, so very long and busy diversion in place!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Just for info.....those of you who drive and would be using the A59 to Harrogate through the Blubberhouses....that road is closed from mid April for 15 weeks, so very long and busy diversion in place!

Useful information for anyone who uses that road.  I sometimes drive to Knaresborough that way.  I believe they are trying to do something to prevent the landslips that have occurred over the last few years.

40 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Useful information for anyone who uses that road.  I sometimes drive to Knaresborough that way.  I believe they are trying to do something to prevent the landslips that have occurred over the last few years.

It's an utter nightmare for us living in that area! Road has been closed about 4 weeks whilst they investigate.....and not not starting work on it for another 2 weeks! Give yourself an extra hour easily!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DanceMadDanceMum said:

I still haven't heard anything. I'm hoping that we get some news today,  was wondering if anyone else is till waiting for news?

One year I didn't hear back......it was because I had typed my email in wrong! They are really quick at replying if you drop them an email.

20 hours ago, Raquelle said:

Yes for us too! Not 100% sure we will keep our place though...depends if we can find a friend week 4! X 

This will be my dd third summer and second Easter. She made some wonderful friends the first year and they have kept in touch and look forward to meeting up and various YBS events. The team are brilliant and make sure everyone is well looked after x

• Like 1

On 28/03/2024 at 18:01, sunrise81 said:

One year I didn't hear back......it was because I had typed my email in wrong! They are really quick at replying if you drop them an email.

Thanks so much, I got a reply at 9pm. Poor lady working so late on Easter Friday. Unfortunately we got a wait list (also wait listed for the RBSI). I have no idea how these things work but I'm imagining that it will be highly unlikely that my daughter gets a place in either of these. We are new to all this. All the waiting around and then getting a waitlist, an invitation to wait around for a few more months, is a nightmare.  Does anyone know how many students get a place from a waitlist? Just wondering if I should just book something here in Italy and forget about it.. 

Dear All,

my DD 15yo will attend YBSS W1&W2 for her first time🤩. I will fly with her from Italy. I need to buy our tickets asap to save money: could someone please explain to me how does the "College delivery" work? I understood that there are staggered times defined by the YSS for each partecipant, but I would like to know how many time I should calculate from our arrival at the College to when I have to say goodbye to my DD... just to know if I can fly back on Sunday evening. Thanks a lot and sorry for my English😔!

364 / 5,000

Hello, for the Easter course,  check in started at 2.30, started with the younger ones. There was a talk for all the students at 4.30. My dd hasn't done the summer course before but that was the timings for the Easter course. 

6 hours ago, Pier said:

Dear All,

my DD 15yo will attend YBSS W1&W2 for her first time🤩. I will fly with her from Italy. I need to buy our tickets asap to save money: could someone please explain to me how does the "College delivery" work? I understood that there are staggered times defined by the YSS for each partecipant, but I would like to know how many time I should calculate from our arrival at the College to when I have to say goodbye to my DD... just to know if I can fly back on Sunday evening. Thanks a lot and sorry for my English😔!

364 / 5,000

My own 15 year old is currently on the Easter intensive and will be doing a week in the summer too (sadly not either of your weeks).

My elder daughter dropped her off instead of me, dragged her suitcase for her to her bedroom, and then abandoned her 🙈 Apparently (according to my elder daughter at least!), the parents who stayed for the talk were mostly younger student parents.
I think you’d be fine to fly back that evening 😁

7 hours ago, Pier said:

Dear All,

364 / 5,000

My daughter is now attending the spring intensive and she was required to have a legal guardian in the uk during the intensive. Not sure if that's also the case for summer. But we are staying in the uk now for this reason.

My child is 12 and for the Easter intensive we dropped off at 3.30 and had left by 4.15. We walked them to the boarding house and then said goodbye there as parents aren’t allowed in the houses due to safeguarding. We didn’t stay for the talk or anything. It was a very quick drop off for us. 

@BarbaraH and @Pier

There are UK Guardianship services by the way, which would be a lot cheaper than a parent staying in the UK for one or two weeks. But I understand wanting to stay, especially if it’s the first intensive they’ve done or they are a little younger.

3 hours ago, Sunflower said:

@BarbaraH and @Pier

There are UK Guardianship services by the way, which would be a lot cheaper than a parent staying in the UK for one or two weeks. But I understand wanting to stay, especially if it’s the first intensive they’ve done or they are a little younger.

Any ideas on which ones also do the ballet intensives? (Maybe for the future.) So far I only found this for entire school years.

9 hours ago, Dancenewbie said:

My child is 12 and for the Easter intensive we dropped off at 3.30 and had left by 4.15. We walked them to the boarding house and then said goodbye there as parents aren’t allowed in the houses due to safeguarding. We didn’t stay for the talk or anything. It was a very quick drop off for us. 

It was wasn’t it! My DD is 9 and I was surprised how quick it was! Xx

Thanks to all for the replies! 
Could you please suggest me a UK Guardianship services and do you have an idea about the cost for 2 weeks?

Has anyone done 2 weeks of YBS in the past? Just wondering if it’s worth doing 2 weeks or are the weeks very similar (ie same teachers and classes and rep etc)? And do the DCs need to be picked up in the weekend between the two weeks? If not, are there houseparents around and are there activities for them to do between the weeks? 

3 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Has anyone done 2 weeks of YBS in the past? Just wondering if it’s worth doing 2 weeks or are the weeks very similar (ie same teachers and classes and rep etc)? And do the DCs need to be picked up in the weekend between the two weeks? If not, are there houseparents around and are there activities for them to do between the weeks? 

My dd did 2 weeks last year. Different teachers and work each week. I think there is the ability to stay over between the 2 weeks but we only live half hour away so we picked her up so she could wash clothes and have a good rest between the weeks.

I see on here that quite a few people have handed back their spaces quite some time ago but haven’t heard of anyone being offered a space from the waitlist yet. Maybe this is all going on in the background and just so happens that nobody on this forum has shared the news. I’m thinking I will give it one more week then book something else. I thought there was more chance of a space on this programme than RBS and the waitlist email had a more positive tone than others - but maybe they just word things nicely! 

37 minutes ago, Ed_DanceMum said:

I see on here that quite a few people have handed back their spaces quite some time ago but haven’t heard of anyone being offered a space from the waitlist yet. Maybe this is all going on in the background and just so happens that nobody on this forum has shared the news. I’m thinking I will give it one more week then book something else. I thought there was more chance of a space on this programme than RBS and the waitlist email had a more positive tone than others - but maybe they just word things nicely! 

I think the deadline was April 10th/11th perhaps so only a few days ago.... And they offered my dd a switch of weeks so I wonder if it takes a little while to switch things round and work out what they have to offer in each week? Good luck xxx 

On 12/04/2024 at 17:20, sunrise81 said:

My dd did 2 weeks last year. Different teachers and work each week. I think there is the ability to stay over between the 2 weeks but we only live half hour away so we picked her up so she could wash clothes and have a good rest between the weeks.

Thank so much! That’s very handy! Sadly, not really an option for us as we live quite a bit away but it’s good to know that there are differences across weeks.