Dance Schools Abroad

tutoo2much

It is a top company. I saw them here a few years ago and I was so impressed by the depth of ability through the company. The corps was the best I'd seen, yes in my humble better than the then RB (this was when Stuttgart came to the Coliseum). Infact in many ways seeing this company with my son showed him that companies abroad were equally as good as our own.

I saw big students like that last year when one of my DDs auditioned for one of the big four... They were not disruptive per se but they didn't try very hard, they talked or grinned at each other while the teacher was explaining the exercises, etc. No concentration what so ever! And the teacher didn't seem to notice! It disturbed me greatly! And put me slightly off the school too...

At the Bolshoi respect is expected. When we visited the school every student we came across regardless of age (when in dance wear) stopped and curtsied to us. What the teacher says, goes and you have to respect what she says.Hard work is admired by the teachers and if a student isnt pulling their weight regardless of how good they are they will be ignored. Whilst the less able student if working their socks off will get the teachers attention. The teachers are very hands on and it is normal for them to touch the student to show them how to move and use the muscles. It has been the making of my daughter, she enjoys this type of training. If a student was to ever swear at a member of staff, I can guarantee that student would not be in the school at the end of the day.

• Like 4

Obviously I do not wish to discuss individuals but as a general overview.... the school did nothing esp to the most talented. Def a case of putting up with them for their perceived potential. I think most are still dancing. I'm sure pretty quickly in a company they'd have learnt what's what. It's a shock isn't it starting in the corps. It's like when you start senior school you go from being the big wigs in junior school to the lowest of the low:-)

I should say there was one teacher who would not put up with it. A magnificent teacher. Tough as they come but fair, very fair. Told you if you were rubbish but praised if deserved. Sadly he was gone before too long.

I think for me was if a teacher didn't face up to behaviour did they really care? You need a teacher to care enough to get cross.

Anyway bit off topic now. I'm sure every school has issues . Here and abroad.But if i was looking at schools now I would consider abroad too, though undoubtably being in the UK is much easier.

I don't suppose that the companies put up with much bad behaviour or lack of effort. Anyone who saw the first of the Agony and Ecstasy programmes will remember Stephen Beagley tearing into 20 year old Vadim Muntagirov for being slightly late for what was mysteriously called "the half". Having said that, it seems that Sergei Polunin was able to get away with skipping class and being generally unreliable whilst he was at the RB and so big stars, even in the field of ballet, are able to get away with bad behaviour. Look at the Bolshoi, where Nicolas T has been openly challenging Sergei Filin for his position as AD.

Sadly I too have seen this at vocational school. Children who were on MDS funding let off for not turning up for classes, bullying, not giving a 100% in classes the list could go on. This wasn't fair on all the other children in that class who did want to work hard or even had to share a dorm with these individuals. What happened to them, well they are still there. Being honest I have heard of this behavior in a lot of the vocational schools from some of their top students.

Most children who are awarded this government funding are very appreciative and work very, very hard. I do feel that if you have this funding then there should be a three strikes and you are defiantely out attitude, that should also apply to the non funded children too. Our children are very lucky to be in these schools and there are hundreds who would snap up their places given the chance. Sorry for going off topic everyone.

• Like 1

I don't suppose that the companies put up with much bad behaviour or lack of effort. Anyone who saw the first of the Agony and Ecstasy programmes will remember Stephen Beagley tearing into 20 year old Vadim Muntagirov for being slightly late for what was mysteriously called "the half". Having said that, it seems that Sergei Polunin was able to get away with skipping class and being generally unreliable whilst he was at the RB and so big stars, even in the field of ballet, are able to get away with bad behaviour. Look at the Bolshoi, where Nicolas T has been openly challenging Sergei Filin for his position as AD.

I believe that "the half" is the call which goes out backstage 30 minutes before the start of the Performance.

I agree with you Tulip that there should be a three strikes and you're out policy for all students. The schools do, however, have the ability to ask any student to leave without giving a reason at various points during their school career and so they always have that option to fall back on if they need to, without having to have arguments with the student and his or her parents about whether the student had behaved badly and whether it was unfair or unreasonable for the student to lose his or her place because of this. I find it surprising that the schools are willing to tolerate poor behaviour. It's not as if they are short of excellent applicants and, let's be honest, apart from an extremely small number of exceptional students, there are very fine differences between those students who are already attending the schools and those who are training seriously but are not at vocational schools (before 6th form, anyway).

Spanner, I thought that that was what "the half" was, but Vadim was not in costume and nor was Junor (who made a hasty exit!) Perhaps Stephen Beagley used a different term.

My understanding (but I could be wrong) is that everyone, whether dancing or not, has to attend the half in case of last minute changes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi I wondered If anyone can help to point us in the direction of schools in Italy for an 18 year old? My DD is only 16 now and is waiting for results of some auditions but is wondering if she wants live away from home just yet. If she decides to stay at home she will audition again at 18. It has always been a dream of hers to go to Italy so I thought I would look into schools there. Thanks in advance.

Just adding what I know...

My dd is a student at Canada's NBS and like Katherine stated, fees are high for non-Canadians. For residents, the full year incl. summer is closer to $30k or 22,000 British pounds. Something like 80% of students receive some kind of bursary though. One difference though between here and the UK, is that very few schools receive funding and I believe NBS is the only Canadian ballet school to receive federal funding at its current levels.

If a student makes it through to graduation after grade 12 (17 or 18 yo), they are all encouraged to apply to post secondary programs affiliated with the company they wish to work for thus giving them a year to train at the style and level for that company. Cranko seems to be a favorite and Stuttgart has a few NBS graduates on it's roster. We as parents are constantly being told to encourage our kids to take that extra year of post secondary training for the sake of long term strength and sustainability for a better career.

I suppose we hold RBS as an ideal school though and I am pretty sure that if we could afford it and dd was accepted, she would kill for the opportunity. The reputation is world reknown.

Next week, I will have the opportunity to see students from 18 different ballet schools around the world perform here in Toronto.... I will share my thoughts as I see it when the time comes.

My dd will get to take class with all these different dancers and I can't wait to hear her stories!

• Like 2

My DS went to Hamburg Ballettschule a couple of years ago and we cannot praise them enough. He was lucky enough to be given a scholarship for both years to help with living costs. We did not have to pay any tuition fees unlike when he was at ENBS on a DADA. He is now in the company of Hamburg Ballett and has performed with them in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Brisbane, Saint Petersburg, Chicago, Costa Mesa California and  San Francisco. 

• Like 7