start/end times for performances

I was reading an article last week, where the NT are going to be running early start shows from February, at 6.30pm. Midweek shows only (Tuesdays an/or Thursdays) I believe. This is in response to more working from home etc where people are no longer going to the theatre after a quick bite/drink from the office/workplace, and like to get home earlier.

The last part would appeal to me for sure. Now most shows at Sadlers Wells are about 2 hours (or so it seems to me), so even if they inevitably start late, usually ending before 10pm, so no problems for me making connections for getting a train home. For me, it's not so much the start time, as the end time. Ideally, a 2 to 2.5 hour show starting at 7.30 is ok; 3 hour ones would be SO much better if they started at 7pm!

Thoughts?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would be happy with starting longer ballets at 7 p.m., but as I come to Covent Garden by car, starting at 6.30 would mean both paying the congestion charge and a certain amount of parking charge.  I can come across into the charging zone at 6 p.m., thus escaping the congestion charge, but I can't park for free until 6.30 - this is just about OK for a 7 p.m. start.

• Like 1

I usually finish work at 7pm - and have to be prepared to scrap my evening plans if we're not done - so for completely selfish reasons I'm not keen. Ticket booking happens months in advance of performances so I prefer to book midweek to have a shorter journey there after work, and to keep my weekends free for friends and parties/avoid closures on the Overground etc. Interested to see how the NT trial performs, though - I did a lengthy survey from them about this sort of thing and pricing earlier this summer. I live in London and don't wfh much (by choice), so I'm sure there are plenty of other perspectives to consider. 

I work outside central London, and early starts make it difficult for me to get in on time.  For example, I have a 7 pm start this evening, and have to pick the ticket up well in advance.  I left the office at about 5.30, and am only just at Waterloo East.  Fortunately I don't have far to travel once I get off the train.

• Like 1

I would be very keen on earlier start times, especially because I now live in the suburbs rather than on the tube and given the vagaries of train times a 10.30pm-ish end can mean getting home at 12.15am. (I know some people have much longer journeys! But it's very late to be walking from the station, especially when it's cold.) However a 6.30pm start would take some getting used to! (And I wouldn't want a start time that caused any problems for the dancers, obviously.)

• Like 1

I live on the Surrey/Sussex border so at times I have been (very) lucky to have got from Covent Garden to home within an hour and a half (usually by having to run to Waterloo). Usually however a finish after 10pm will mean I am not home until 12:30 which is too late for work the next day, hence I usually only go to evening performances on a Friday or Saturday. A 7pm start therefore would be ideal.

Its the reason I much prefer matinees.

As I say, 7pm would be great for me, but appreciate it wouldn't suit everyone. Perhaps alternate shows at 7?

Ironically, Saturday evening performances are often at 7pm, but I'm not keen on Saturday shows as there is so much else I'm a-doing on a Saturday!

I saw the announcement by NT just for some of their performances. It's to allow their audiences to choose whether they want to start at 6.30pm or 7.30pm, but they do have more performances of each play/show per run than most ballet companies do (even for Nutcracker). ROH already offer 6.30pm starts, for operas that are longer than the average full length ballet.

I can't see this catching on for all ballet performances as many people still have to be at work at 6pm and can't leave early regularly, but slightly early starts at 7pm can be beneficial for audience members with long train journeys home (especially with daily rail cancellations a frequent feature on several evening routes now,  even on non-industrial action days). They do have to be very careful to emphasise that the show is an early start though, as I've often seen a number of attendees caught out by a 7pm start, thinking it was the "usual" 7.30 start. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1