Posted (edited)

Currently watching …

Bolshoi’s La Bayadere is on Russian TV Culture channel tonight 
Sunday 3 March 2024
2200 Moscow time
1900 UTC

Svetlana Zakharova, Maria Alexandrova, Vladislav Lantratov (from 2013) 

I watch on this link (you don’t need a VPN to access it)
https://sputnik24.tv/smotret/kultura

Instagram announcement: https://www.instagram.com/p/C4Dto-8NIYZ/?igsh=bGoxeXMzaWx4aXB2 

Edited by FionaM
Fix link

Posted (edited)

The ‘Grand Ballet’ or Bolshoi Ballet TV competition 2024 has its first broadcast on Saturday 9 March 2024, at 17.20 Moscow time, 14.20 UTC

The 2024 competition was filmed in July 2023.  I’ve seen info on 4 participants so far (there are 16):

- Davide Loricchio, Mikhailovsky soloist, previously Prix de Lausanne apprentice at RB

- Maria Iliushkina, Mariinsky first soloist

- Even Capitaine, Mariinsky soloist

- Daniil Potaptsev, Bolshoi soloist, only one year out of Eifman Academy

I believe the previous winners were:

FEMALE

2020 - Maria Khoreva, Mariinsky

2018 - Ksenia Shevtsova, Stanislavsky, now Munich

2016 - none awarded, but see pairs

2012 - Olga Smirnova, Bolshoi, now Dutch National

MALE

2020 - none awarded *

2018 - Dmitry Sobolevsky, Stanislavsky, now independent

2016 - none awarded, but see pairs

2012 - Sergei Polunin, Stanislavsky, now independent

* Marcello Pelizzoni was commended in 2020 (Krasnoyarsk, now Stanislavsky)

PAIRS

2020 - Elizaveta Korneeva (Voronezh) & Ivan Negrobov (Voronezh, now Estonia)

2018  - Amanda Gomes & Wagner Carvalho (Kazan)

2016 - Renata Shakirova & Kimin Kim (Mariinsky), AND,

Inna Bilash (Perm, now Zurich) & Nikita Chetverikov (Perm, now Mikhailovsky)

2012 - Anna Tikhomirova & Artem Ovcharenko (Bolshoi)

Edited by FionaM
Details

The VI All-Russian Competition for Young Artists “Russian Ballet” ended on the New Stage of the Bolshoi Theatre, bringing together 26 participants from 15 choreographic institutions in the final round. In a long review, a ballet critic for the Kommersant newspaper wrote:

“The main discovery of the VI Russian Ballet was a foreigner who was not on the competitors list. Taiga Kodama Pomfret, who accompanied Maria Popova from the College of Art, flew through the sky in Pas d'esclave from Le Corsaire, spinning three saut de basque without any effort. During two of those (with his legs drawn up) he froze in the air, as if lost in thought; on the contrary, he spun around, recklessly and jauntily, but with impeccable purity.

This fabulous, temperamental Briton with a Soviet predilection for stunt feats studied the classics in Birmingham from the age of ten, then studied for a year at the Vaganova Academy, after graduating in 2022 he ended up at the Stanislavsky Music Theater and settled in the corps de ballet, unknown to anyone. He is, of course, small in stature, however, for example, Ivan Vasiliev, the idol of the last decade, is no taller than Taiga, and is much more clumsy, which did not prevent him from becoming the Principal of the Bolshoi and Mikhailovsky. It seems that the Briton with an exotic name, who won second place at the International Competition in Moscow in the same 2022, does not have an outstanding career here. So competition is competition, physical abilities are physical abilities, training is training, but luck and the circumstances of the moment in ballet determine everything. And not only in ballet."

I wish this boy a lot of luck!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Amelia said:

It seems that the Briton with an exotic name, who won second place at the International Competition in Moscow in the same 2022, does not have an outstanding career here. So competition is competition, physical abilities are physical abilities, training is training, but luck and the circumstances of the moment in ballet determine everything

This is such a strange few lines. 

I am surprised he is still in Russia. I would imagine life would be hard there for him, particularly I would imagine a lack of opportunity given his citizenship of a country that the Russian Government regularly threatens. Which is perhaps what these strange lines mean. 

• Like 1

There was an article about him a couple of years ago maybe when trying to raise money for Vaganova training so am aware who he is. 
However I’ve only seen clips of him mainly from Corsaire and Flames of Paris which emphasise his jumping skills which many young male dancers have these days.  
In the Vaganova class excerpts it’s only his jumping shown again. 
I would like to have seen him in class with the other boys with him to get more of a picture of his overall ability as a professional dancer.  

• Like 2

I don’t know what the Kommersant critic means by “not much of a career”.  He is only in his second year out of the Academy and he’s already performing soloist jester type roles at Stanislavsky.  What more can you expect for a short but virtuoso man these days?  Even if you are a standout virtuoso.  He could have joined a long list of similar short virtuoso men at RB (or anywhere else) and be lucky to do Chinese in Nutcracker and a beggar in Manon. 

@TSR101 au contraire.  A student I know at Vaganova from UK, was very much highlighted in their recent Nutcracker with two feature roles.  As were other non Russian students if they were at a good level.  Davide Lorrichio who was the Prix de Lausanne apprentice at ROH for a year, is now at the Mikhailovsky and is currently appearing as their representative in the “Grand Ballet” TV competition, previous won by Smirnova, Polunin, Ovcharenko, Tikhomirova, Shevtsova, Sobolevsky, Shakirova, Kimin Kim, Khoreva and others.  He was brilliant in his opening solo earlier today … Cupid in Nacho Duato version of DQ.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Lavrovsky’s Romeo & Juliet premieres at the Bolshoi on 4 April

The casts:

- Svetlana Zakharova & Artemy Belyakov

- Ekaterina Krysanova & Vladislav Lantratov 

- Evgenia Obratsova & Artem Ovcharenko

- Eleanora Sevenard & Denis Rodkin

- Elizaveta Kokoreva & Daniil Potaptsev. OPENING NIGHT !!

All except the last and youngest paring have performed a version of R&J before.  

Daniil Potaptsev is the only one who is not a principal.  He graduated from the Eifman Academy in summer 2022 into the Bolshoi corps, and was promoted to soloist in summer 2023.  He has an extraordinary artistry for one so young.  

https://bolshoi.ru/en/news/premery/7572-Romeo-and-Juliet-premiere-2024-04

Edited by FionaM
Add info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The ‘Grand Ballet’ TV competition hosted by Svetlana Zakharova & Igor Kolb continues today, with all participants performing solos, including those entered in the Duets section such as Maria Iliushkina & Even Capitaine.  

https://www.instagram.com/tv/C5IOHdlt1rz/?igsh=ZjdocmhkYTl6a2dl

14.25 UK time

VPN not required to watch via this link 

https://smotrim.ru/live/19201

• Thanks 2

Another day, another on stage promotion to principal / prima ballerina  … this time Anastasia Limenko at Stanislavsky after her debut in Esmeralda full length ballet.  

Anastasia is known outside Russia having participated in INStage galas in Spain and Despertares Mexico.  She’s been partnered by Brooklyn Mack, Julian Mackay, Sergei Polunin and Kimin Kim.  

Rehearsal clip of Esmeralda with Artur Mkrtchyan, also his debut today.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5LG1GprQ0-/?igsh=MTJnZTdnaGtoNDdveg==

• Like 3

The ‘Grand Ballet’ TV competition in Moscow is continuing. I am trying to find and watch what is available on internet.
A 19-year-old boy from the Bolshoi Theatre DANIIL POTAPTSEV became a revelation for the distinguished judges and, of course, for me. A graduate of the Boris Eifman Ballet Academy, he competes in the junior group (19-22). He has wonderful physique, an easy, light jump and he is very ‘danceable’ - doesn’t just perform steps but really dancing. 
This is what he has shown up to now:
“Vestris” by Yacobson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9iLD6NjMP8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday, Lavrovsky's original production of "Romeo & Juliet” has returned to the  Bolshoi's vast stage, starring Elizaveta Kokoreva and Daniil Potaptsev. I can’t show the final scene, but the curtain calls are here:

Other casts will follow: Obraztsova - Ovcharenko, Sevenard - Rodkin, Zakharova - Belyakov, Krysanova - Lantratov.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The production itself .. costumes and sets including the floor design, look special indeed.  

I’m hugely enjoying the clips of the two casts seen so far.   Elizaveta Kokoreva has stepped up another level with her Juliet. 

I see moments of choreography that have influenced later versions by Cranko, MacMillan, Nureyev etc 

Also impressed by audience quoting verses of Shakespeare with their posts.  

Edited by FionaM
Add paragraph
  • Like 3

If you scroll down from your clips Amelia ( Thankyou) there is a video of him in Giselle with Elizaveta Kokoreva and he is really very good in that especially if only 19!! 
Does the entrechats but with such beautiful feet ( still get put off by audience clapping etc) 
Kokoreva not bad either!!  

If only we could see the Russians here in UK again soon 😥   as seem to be missing a whole generation of dancers now but these two one would certainly want to book for if ever came to the UK 

• Like 3

I miss being able to watch Russian ballet with pleasure. I hope to see them again at some time in the future, when Russia has withdrawn from Ukraine and paid full reparations to that country.  

• Like 4

I think we all know what the conditions would have to be BeauxArts! 

Was just expressing regret at not having seen the Russians in UK for a long time now ….even before the war. 
Mariinsky for example was not here since 2014!! 
And it’s five years since Bolshoi (though thought 2018 was last visit ..but it was 2019. 

Sorry to keep editing this but just realised why I missed the 2019 visit as was in hospital having operation for a broken ankle …which is why seems so long since seen them 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

Scenes from "Romeo & Juliet” at Bolshoi last week with Elizaveta Kokoreva & Daniil Potaptsev.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AivVmc2QT8s

Still a teenager, he doesn't have much acting experience yet, but he dances beautifully, like his more experienced partner. This is not only his debut in the role, but also the first opening night entrusted to him at the Bolshoi. You can feel how careful he is to avoid making a mistake. And the future is open to him. It will be so interesting to watch his artistic development.

Edited by Amelia
typo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not surprisingly

• Daniil Potaptsev, Bolshoi, won his section (young dancers).  
  • Maria Iliushkina and Even Capitaine, Mariinsky, worn the senior couples
  • Kamila Ismagilova, Stanislavsky, won Senior female soloist
  • Kubanych Shamakeev, Chelyabinsk, won Senior male soloist
  • Nikita Ksenofontov, Novosibirsk principal (not competing), special award for acting/artistry

All the videos including the gala finale here:

https://smotrim.ru/brand/70604

Daniil’s final solo (contemporary).

• Like 1