Northern Ballet fundraising to reinstate its production of Romeo & Juliet

Northern Ballet are currently running a match-funded (up to £10,000) fundraising appeal, "Rekindle The Romance"  to bring its Romeo & Juliet back to stage.

If the press release about future use of an orchestra holds true this might be one way of supporting both the company and the musicians to keep them employed.

https://northernballet.com/support-us/rekindle-appeal

every little helps

In fair Verona, where we lay our scene...

Our scene is Leeds, Boxing Day 2015, when a catastrophe struck Northern Ballet. A devastating river flood, damaging £2 million pounds worth of sets and costumes.

Northern Ballet’s beloved 1991 production of Romeo & Juliet, directed by Christopher Gable and choreographed by Massimo Morricone, was one of the productions damaged in the 2015 flood. In Spring 2024 we plan to restage this universal story, but we need your help to reunite our lovers.

Your donation to the Rekindle the Romance appeal will go towards recreating this timeless ballet, a true cornerstone of the history of the Company. Lez Brotherston OBE’s intricate, period costume designs and impressive traditional wooden set pieces will be repaired and updated, meaning this production can be enjoyed by future generations of passionate ballet fans.

Rekindle the romance today.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, capybara said:

Signed.

Jonathan Lo has the petition on his IG story.

I have signed, and will donate to the above collection.  Poor Federico Bonelli; what a time to have taken over the artistic leadership of the company.  If he didn't have all these extraneous worries he could just get on with doing a fabulous job with NB. I'm sure he will anyway, but wouldn't it be lovely if he could do so without all the extra worry.   I so hope their fortunes improve.

• Like 6

Over the years Northern Ballet has been most unfortunate with their storage space at Bramley suffering not only a fire but also a flood.  A number of ballets have been lost and may never be seen again.

Of course, Federico Bonelli has a link with this R&J as it was mounted especially for Alina Cojocaru and him in a recreated Globe Theatre in Rome and he also danced the balcony scene with NB's Abigail Prudames at the company's 50th Anniversary Gala.

I donated months ago when this appeal was first announced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, capybara said:

Donated.
I hope that NB also gets itself a slot on The Big Give as donations get doubled there as Christmas approaches. Both ENB and BRB have been on the list in the past.

NB have submitted an application to a part of The Big Give and is waiting to hear if it has been accepted.

• Like 3

I don’t want to be bleak but I’d hate to think of a stunningly staged & dressed cast but dancing just to recorded music in some venues….

Cannot there be sone such fundraising drive to help support the costs of keeping orchestra/live music…

Elsewhere Emeralds made very good points that Galas are a great way to raise funds & others do it very successfully…but that also you need to grab the punters to go to your event otherwise they may spend their dosh elsewhere! 
Look how quickly Dance for Ukraine was conceived & staged….NB surely could look to stage a ‘support our orchestra’ gala - maybe even tour it!! I’d definitely support…. And let’s face it people do like to get something for money…. What could be better than an evening of wonderful NB ballet snippets accompanied by their wonderful sinfonia! 

• Like 1