‘Baby Ballet’ (Do teachers have to be registered?)

Legseleven

I see a lot of adverts for this (I assume) franchise and some that are clearly similar. I am aware that teenage friends of DD have been allowed to take classes on their own, despite being neither registered teachers nor advanced dancers. Surely there is a requirement that a registered ballet teacher takes these classes?

• Jan McNulty changed the title to ‘Baby Ballet’ (Do teachers have to be registered?)

I know and knew lots of teenage dancers that taught the littlest girls at various ballet schools which I or our daughters attended. I can remember my childhood ballet school having the oldest pupil there shadowing our ballet teacher although she never actually took a class.

• Like 1

One of my teachers teaches for a Baby Ballet franchise (she is a fully qualified and registered RAD teacher). From what I understand, it isn't very much dance focused as most of the babies/toddlers are only just walking - it is more about play, singing, nursery rhymes, clapping along etc. It has a set programme/syllabus that they all follow which has been put together around the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework (EYFSF). I imagine it to be similar to what I think was called musical movement when I was at primary school! I am also pretty sure that the parent stays with the child and does it all with them.

I do agree though that there should be some regulation in the UK that only qualified/registered teachers should teach actual ballet/dance classes. Unfortunately as Pas de Quatre said, currently anyone can set up a dance school and call themselves a teacher which is a worry!

I'm having a gripe. Lots of merch on the site, 'uniform' they say, pink for girls and tiny satin ballet shoes, blue for boys. Horrible stereotyping. £££££££.

I'm having a strong cup of tea to calm down. So much I'd like to say but will restrain myself.

(Children really don't need this in order to enjoy music and moving to it!)

• Like 3

On 27/09/2023 at 12:24, academicdancer said:

Are you referring to teen girls teaching "baby ballet" at their dance school? Or teaching at the franchised Baby Ballet? The first former is not uncommon, although usually there should be a teacher running the class with teens assisting, for health and safety/DBS purposes.

Teenage girls taking classes at the franchised Baby Ballet. I was rather taken aback as despite any sort of ‘baby ballet’ being effectively music and movement, I assume that to be a franchisee there is some requirement that you are qualified and will employ qualified teachers? 

I am perhaps too trusting that most people will do the right thing - but employing totally unqualified teenagers to take a class offered as part of a franchise (the teenagers are about grade 4 or 5 ballet level) does not seem appropriate to me. 

• Like 1

I took my daughter to the Baby ballet franchise classes from 18 months old , it was very much like a parent and toddler group but with repetitive songs and actions we loved it , parents stayed with the child and joined in the songs and little

dances . No obligation to purchase any uniform or merch (at the end of the day it is a business ) but I remember feeling I got value for money and my daughter and I have happy memories of it . 

It doesn't actually look a great deal like 'ballet', rather a misnomer? Also teen girls with no quals really shouldn't be taking these sessions?

Our preschool dance and ballet syllabus offers four stages of ballet dance classes, for young children aged 6 months to 6 years, plus a tap dancing class for children over 3 years.

babyballet teachers all undergo babyballet training, and with professional dance and teaching experience, they strive to create a fun, friendly and inclusive experience for everyone

What professional dance and teaching experience is required to enable anyone to be granted a franchise I don't know.

The impression given on the site is certainly that girls wear pink tutus (not cheap) and boys wear blue. The steroeotyping begins early.

Many dance teachers have for years offered 'music and movement' sessions for tinies without the need for a franchise.

(Reputable dance orgs have specified ages at which pre-primary syllabus exams can be taken.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Totally wrong for that age. Many of you may have seen it on social media.

Totally.

No I hadn't seen it.  It is worrying.

Many many qualified teachers run classes for little ones, along with a parent / carer, have done for years, music, movement, fun, dressing up, etc, which eventually feed in to pre primary and primary classes (get them young and they are yours for life and all that... also teachers have a living to make)  with very basic ballet movements, but nothing should be forced, especially turnout! Totally wrong!

• Like 2