English National Ballet: Our Voices

I enjoyed listening to Aaron S. Watkin talking about the ballets in Our Voices and seeing the dancers in the rehearsal process - potentially some clues to casting here. Video posted by ENB on their YT channel.  

Afterthought - it would be amazing if ENB could stream insights on YT like the RB do now. 

Edited by annamk
Afterthought
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The first & third pieces look like choreography I'll enjoy. The second piece looks like I may be enjoying the music with my eyes closed!

Oh lord, it’s so not my thing and I’m not even a fan of the music.  I might enjoy it from the bar, weeping for Nijinska.  The other pieces look beautiful though: the Strauss music is incredibly moving and I can’t wait to see the Balanchine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnePigeon said:

Oh lord, it’s so not my thing and I’m not even a fan of the music.  I might enjoy it from the bar, weeping for Nijinska.  The other pieces look beautiful though: the Strauss music is incredibly moving and I can’t wait to see the Balanchine.

I don't know the music so I should have said I will hopefully be enjoying the music. Maybe I should listen to the music beforehand. As it looks highly unlikely that I'll like the choreography, if I don't like the music either then maybe enjoying it from the foyer could be the best option.

• Like 1

This looks like a brilliantly diverse mixed bill and starting to feel quite excited about it. Was wondering previously whether to not attend the rehearsal as well as a proper performance but absolutely will do now. 
It’s also getting me quite excited about what Aaron S Watkin might bring to ENB in terms of further developing talent and treading new ground. This bill demonstrates the importance of classical ballet in addition to contemporary.

• Like 4

Hmmm not sure about the new Les Noces but going to give it a go.  I love T&V, and Four Last Songs is among my favourite of all vocal pieces (especially when sung by Jessye Norman) so I don't really care what the choreography is like; if I don't get on with it I can just close my eyes...but it looks good to me.  :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The ENB had a masterclass Event for Friends  and guests etc last Thursday on 31st Aug over at their headquarters in Canning Town. It was centred on this Programme mainly concentrating on the Balanchine Piece. 
I don’t suppose anyone from Forum  attended this? 
I was supposed to go but unfortunately have a rather nasty chest infection at the moment so was really disappointed not to be able to make it to this event in the end. 
A friend who went said it was very good with Katja Khaniukova rehearsing a solo piece and new dancers to the Company Gareth Haw and Sanjeun Lee a pas de deux rehearsed by Victoria Simon ( sorry to say I don’t recognise her name but is a well known Balanchine exponent apparently) The new AD Watkin was there too making his contribution to the evening (and giving rise for optimism for the future) Also attending was Cynthia Harvey! Which must have been a very nice surprise! 
Would welcome any other comments from people who may have attended this event. 

• Like 2

I was at this Theme and Variations event and enjoyed seeing Victoria (Vicky) Simon rehearsing Katja Kaniukova in a solo and Sangeon Lee and Gareth Haw in the central pas de deux. The new AD circulated among attendees before and after the formal session, participated in the coaching and chaired a Q&A with Vicky and Cynthia Harvey, who is involved in coaching the piece.

There was also a strong 'presence' on the part of other ENB ballet, music, production and admin. staff, including the Guest Principal Conductor, Gavin Sutherland.

It was a good opportunity for supporters to see three dancers who will feature prominently in the upcoming season, including the two newcomers and, thanks largely to Aaron Watkin, for ENB to establish a 'fresh' and friendly relationship with its Patrons and Friends. 

Our Voices really seems to be a programme to look forward to and to see more than once.

• Like 8

Thanks for that Capybara. 
My friend who went seemed very encouraged by Watkin and especially his emphasis on how important he felt the music was for dancers ( seems obvious but not always given prime importance) 

Also if he was mingling with the guests that does sound rather promising. 

Apparently Sangeun Lee and Gareth  Haw have a very good connection which also augurs well for their Giselle performances! 

• Like 1

I was also at the masterclass last Thursday and I concur with everything Capybara says.  It was held in the vast Holloway production studio which meant we had the privilege of seeing the set for 'Theme', specially brought in for the evening, and some of the beautiful new costumes were on display in the foyer.  In fact, Aaron Watkin himself could be seen helping to display the costumes before the event.  

Earlier in the afternoon, I took the opportunity to ask Maestro Gavin Sutherland about the music being used for "Les Noces" at Sadler's Wells, and he confirmed it will not be the version for four pianos and percussion but will be the version for full orchestra premiered by the Los Angeles Philharmonic in 2008.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6