The Fonteyn

Dancers Dad

Your post appears to have got rather lost, so maybe bumping it up again will help?

The Fonteyn used to be the Genee and I think it's taking a while to get used to the name change!

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/the-fonteyn/

It does sound, whatever the outcome, a marvellous opportunity & a wonderful experience for any talented young dancer.

October in London, without costing an arm & a leg? 😏  Does the RAD have a list of places it can suggest?

• Like 1

The Travelodge London Battersea is literally a minute’s walk from RAD HQ and reasonably priced - it’s not the most glamorous but should be fine! Clapham Junction station is around a 15 minute walk for mainline trains and there are plenty of buses that run to Victoria and central London. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The Royal Academy of Dance has issued a press release about the competition, mainly for potential audience members:

Now I'm feeling nearly as excited as my daughter!

(Strong showing from NBS at the event, with at least 7 or 8 going I think.)

• Like 2

On 25/07/2023 at 22:24, Dancers Dad said:

Now I'm feeling nearly as excited as my daughter!

(Strong showing from NBS at the event, with at least 7 or 8 going I think.)

Very excited for your dd, for you and all the NBS contingent.  The best of luck to them all.  :)

• Like 1

Interesting that NBS (Northern Ballet School in Manchester?) has students competing as traditionally schools tend to not to participate at all in comps or just enter perhaps one or two pupils in such things & even then I think it’s often more down to candidates self entering & arranging coaching etc themselves. 
I’d be interested to know if it is actually the school entering & coaching their students for this….good for them if so! I often feel there is a lack of level playing field with it either being the chosen favourite in an institution who may get entered or else those who can afford it (& often would need to be a day pupil in a school in order to get outside coaching in order to prepare what’s required). It’s also interesting to see them promoting that this year additional ‘prizes’ of such things as scholarships to courses…. Only notice this being said now after applications closed…. Was it promoted before? If so it would I’m sure encourage many more entries….

good luck to those joining in

• Like 1

Best of luck. It's a massive achievement to even get this far. What an experience. If you haven't sorted out accommodation, I echo re. Travelodge which is opposite the rad. They're long days and being able to cross the road and crash into bed is quite a treat. Also, there are lots of places to eat nearby so you won't starve. There's some parking at the Travelodge so that might help. Again, all the best. We'll be watching and giving you an extra cheer! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2023 at 23:54, Peanut68 said:

Interesting that NBS (Northern Ballet School in Manchester?) has students competing as traditionally schools tend to not to participate at all in comps or just enter perhaps one or two pupils in such things & even then I think it’s often more down to candidates self entering & arranging coaching etc themselves. 
I’d be interested to know if it is actually the school entering & coaching their students for this….good for them if so! I often feel there is a lack of level playing field with it either being the chosen favourite in an institution who may get entered or else those who can afford it (& often would need to be a day pupil in a school in order to get outside coaching in order to prepare what’s required). It’s also interesting to see them promoting that this year additional ‘prizes’ of such things as scholarships to courses…. Only notice this being said now after applications closed…. Was it promoted before? If so it would I’m sure encourage many more entries….

good luck to those joining in

Yes - NBS Manchester. It seemed (from a distance) to be something that the school and the students discussed but there was definite keenness among the students to do it and the school is supporting them with advice and extra classes to work on their variations. It has certainly created some real excitement amongst the classical focus students.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2023 at 09:56, HopelessMummy said:

Best of luck. It's a massive achievement to even get this far. What an experience. If you haven't sorted out accommodation, I echo re. Travelodge which is opposite the rad. They're long days and being able to cross the road and crash into bed is quite a treat. Also, there are lots of places to eat nearby so you won't starve. There's some parking at the Travelodge so that might help. Again, all the best. We'll be watching and giving you an extra cheer! 

Many thanks. Currently liaising with people I know who live somewhere nearby as even a Travelodge for over a week is four figures 😲😬

Thanks in advance for the extra cheer!

Oh that’s made me remember about those child trust funds…. Never added any money but still there must be a few £££ my teens are now eligible for… is it from 16 or 18? Must track them down! And yes, expect it could help with sone dance costs! Must say I find it heartening that a school is encouraging participation as in my experience usually it’s just the 1 or 2 golden favoured pupils that are almost secretly selected & pushed to this sort of thing by schools so bravo to NBS in being supportive & proactive! And also in getting great results as think all entrants have to have passed Adv2 with distinction? 
congrats to all & good luck! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Oh that’s made me remember about those child trust funds…. Never added any money but still there must be a few £££ my teens are now eligible for… is it from 16 or 18? Must track them down! And yes, expect it could help with sone dance costs! Must say I find it heartening that a school is encouraging participation as in my experience usually it’s just the 1 or 2 golden favoured pupils that are almost secretly selected & pushed to this sort of thing by schools so bravo to NBS in being supportive & proactive! And also in getting great results as think all entrants have to have passed Adv2 with distinction? 
congrats to all & good luck! 

Yes - the CTF is a bit of a godsend tbh. It has also enabled some summer schools! You can get it when you turn 18.

Also yes re: Advanced 2 with Distinction being the qualifying mark. A great result for them all tbh - my daughter was ecstatic.

Thanks for your good wishes 😊

• Like 1