Paris Opéra Ballet on strike (again)

Paris Opéra Ballet has announced the cancellation of tonight's première of what they call L'histoire de Manon due to a strike by artists of the ballet.

It is apparently due to salary issues and the performances of 21 and 22 June are also threatened.

• Thanks 2

That’s a pity. Presume ballet ticket holders will get refunded? There are still tickets for English National Ballet’s Cinderella at the Royal Albert Hall available tonight, tomorrow and 22nd if they are feeling dance-deprived. 😊 A variety of price ranges from £72 to £95 in the Stalls and second tier boxes, great sightlines and unrestricted views, or £35 in the top level if they are equipped by binoculars/opera glasses. Just a short trip on the Eurostar. 😊

Hope their dispute gets sorted out very soon though. Any more news about the Australian Ballet pay dispute, @Sophoife?

This is at very short notice. Refunds don’t exactly help patrons who are travelling and have booked hotels.

I recall the 2019/20 strike period when cancellations were not announced until 12.00 noon each day. 
The dancers might well have a justifiable case but some consideration for their audience wouldn’t go amiss.

• Like 8

No news from my contacts about AusBallet @Emeralds but I'm going down for a couple of shows this weekend so I'll see what I can discover.

@capybara, notice at noon of a strike for that night is, if like me one is travelling, bloody annoying not to mention expensive, but from experience I can say it beats being already seated in the theatre waiting for the curtain to go up (40-odd years ago, AusBallet, and I never did see that production).

• Thanks 1

I got emailed a Eurostar seat sale today. Thought maybe I’d pop over for a later performance of Manon, checked availability on POB website, saw today’s strike notice, got a flashback to a long weekend when I’d booked, if memory serves me, to see Raymonda twice, le Parc twice and the Demonstrations de L’Ecole de Danse. All cancelled due to the strikes. So I decided not to bother chancing Manon this time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

That’s a pity. Presume ballet ticket holders will get refunded? There are still tickets for English National Ballet’s Cinderella at the Royal Albert Hall available tonight, tomorrow and 22nd if they are feeling dance-deprived. 😊 A variety of price ranges from £72 to £95 in the Stalls and second tier boxes, great sightlines and unrestricted views, or £35 in the top level if they are equipped by binoculars/opera glasses. Just a short trip on the Eurostar. 😊

Hope their dispute gets sorted out very soon though. Any more news about the Australian Ballet pay dispute, @Sophoife?

the RAH practices ‘dynamic’ ticket pricing so, for example, stalls tickets for tonight which were originally £109 are now £69.

There are also discounts available on TodayTix and perhaps other sites 

Edited by PeterS
RAH not ROH oops
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterS said:

the RAH practices ‘dynamic’ ticket pricing so, for example, stalls tickets for tonight which were originally £109 are now £69.

There are also discounts available on TodayTix and perhaps other sites 

Oh, does it?  :(  There are certainly a number of offers around.

We’re booked in for Friday. It’s not the sole reason for our trip and I do respect and acknowledge the importance of industrial action like this (especially having previously lived in France) but hope to find out soon. 

• Like 2

How does one get news about the strike in Paris? I've just checked the website and can find no mention whatsoever. The performances I've booked are the final three in the season but, on past experience, I doubt if the strike will be over by then.

Socials is where I found the info @ctas and @SheilaC. Twitter (company) and Instagram (Hugo Marchand) to be specific.

For tonight, 21 June, no official announcement has been made, nor have any of the dancers scheduled to perform posted anything public. It's nearly 12:30pm now and yesterday's announcement was made before noon.

Edited by Sophoife
Added last paragraph
  • Like 2

I just came back from Paris.

I had a ticket for Manon at Opera Garnier for 20 & 21 June and a ticket for Signes at Bastille Opera for 21 June.

When I went to Opera Garnier on the evening of 20/6 I was told both 20 & 21/6 shows would be cancelled.

I asked whether Signes at Bastille would be go ahead or not and I was told shows at Bastille would be go ahead.

At Opera Garnier I saw so many ballet fans in Paris were so devastated to hear the news of strike and cancellation of Manon on 20/6.

This time was my 3rd trip to see POB in this season. I went to see Mayering on Nov.22, Maurice Bejart in May and Manon & Signes in June.

I enjoyed Signes very much however I wish I could see Manon as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ryo said:

I just came back from Paris.

I had a ticket for Manon at Opera Garnier for 20 & 21 June and a ticket for Signes at Bastille Opera for 21 June.

When I went to Opera Garnier on the evening of 20/6 I was told both 20 & 21/6 shows would be cancelled.

I asked whether Signes at Bastille would be go ahead or not and I was told shows at Bastille would be go ahead.

At Opera Garnier I saw so many ballet fans in Paris were so devastated to hear the news of strike and cancellation of Manon on 20/6.

This time was my 3rd trip to see POB in this season. I went to see Mayering on Nov.22, Maurice Bejart in May and Manon & Signes in June.

I enjoyed Signes very much however I wish I could see Manon as well.

I traveled to Paris 1000 km from Prague for Manon 20. and Signes 21. When I found out that Manon 20. was cancelled, I took a risk and bought the last 2 tickets that were available for Manon 21. And it worked!  So I chose Manon over Signes and I definitely don't regret it.  Both Manon and Signes were canceled today...

No one knows that.  I am extremely sorry for Dorothée Gilbert, who is now in top condition, but in 2025 she will have to end her career (at Ballet Opera Paris without exception at the age of 42) and until then Manon will certainly not be back.  So far two of her Manon's performances have been cancelled and she still has 3 dates left...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Silver Capricorn said:

No one knows that.  I am extremely sorry for Dorothée Gilbert, who is now in top condition, but in 2025 she will have to end her career (at Ballet Opera Paris without exception at the age of 42) and until then Manon will certainly not be back.  So far two of her Manon's performances have been cancelled and she still has 3 dates left...

hopefully she can dance the remaining 3!! She is a wonderful dancer. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Silver Capricorn said:

Paris Opera Ballet will be touring to Japan next February with Manon and Swan Lake, so it is likely she will be dancing Manon then.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Isn’t the strike part of a now-huge national protest?  

The current national protest is a result of the shooting of a 17 year old last week. I don't think the POB strikes were anything in relation to that, given that they occurred a week before.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

The current national protest is a result of the shooting of a 17 year old last week. I don't think the POB strikes were anything in relation to that, given that they occurred a week before.

I thought that the original protests, a month ago, were about changing the National Social Security system, which would involve everyone. I know about the death but I thought that Soc Sec was the overwhelming force in the protests…the big picture.

Edited by Jeannette

Those are three unrelated things.  The protests against the pension reform do not concern the dancers, they have their own status, which they won with the strikes of the Opera in the pre-covid era.  The current unrest is related to the death of a young man, shot by a policeman, and it is nothing more than looting by groups of underage migrants.  And the current ballet strike is related to the wage demands of the dancers, who are pushing for compensation for the time spent trying on costumes, make-up, etc.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

oh dear....

Message aux spectateurs de Casse-Noisette le vendredi 8 décembre à l'Opéra Bastille

En raison d'un mouvement de grève suivi par une partie du personnel de l'Opéra de Paris, qui n'a pas permis d'assurer toutes les répétitions indispensables au bon déroulement du spectacle, la représentation du ballet Casse-Noisette le vendredi 8 décembre à 19h30 à l'Opéra Bastille est annulée.

as it was "  As a result of a strike followed by some of the Paris Opéra's staff which has not allowed all the necessary rehearsals to take place, " might not be the only one

Message to spectators of The Nutcracker on Friday 8th December at the Opéra Bastille - Opéra national de Paris (operadeparis.fr)

Edited by oncnp

3 hours ago, alison said:

Pardon my language, but Merde.  Have they only just sent that out? :( 

That sounds like you are saying "good luck" in American ballet companies, Alison 😉,  but I know what you mean. Dreadful for patrons who have booked tickets, or train/plane tickets and hotel rooms if travelling from abroad (although I say Paris is full of many, many fun things to do/visit as a tourist, it's still very disappointing not to get to see the ballet), and they will certainly need some good luck to rebook for another performance. Have you booked for an affected performance? 

Edited by Emeralds

Hmm. Paris Opera has strikes, ballet in the UK has national rail industrial action and Tube strikes. Based on the time scale and number of shows affected, it might seem unbelievable but actually, Paris audiences are better off than UK ones (fewer shows affected), apart from central London residents, who can still travel to and from ROH/Coliseum/Sadler's Wells even when there's a train or Tube strike. Maybe not so good for the Paris dancers depending on whether they have guest engagements or other gigs.