Royal Ballet Junior Associate Starters 2023

Tendu_mum

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My DC has been accepted a place in Birmingham for Y6.  Just waiting  to see how many classes, dates and I’m praying it’s not early in the morning due to travelling. Were all previous JA’s classes in the afternoon? 

We got London JA1 (26 week programme), this is exactly what we’d hoped for as she can now continue with her dance classes at home in the different dance genres as well, which she would’ve been upset to give up. So pleased! 😃

2 hours ago, Tendu_mum said:

We got London JA1 (26 week programme), this is exactly what we’d hoped for as she can now continue with her dance classes at home in the different dance genres as well, which she would’ve been upset to give up. So pleased! 😃

Same for us! 😊

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ballet_dancer2020 said:

We received the info pack today. Slightly confused as to why we have been asked to send their latest academic report. It’s not a problem if they really want it but just wondering why they would ask. Anyone know why this is needed and what they might do with it?!  Thanks

I didn’t see this and wasn’t asked for any academic report?

12 minutes ago, Ballet_dancer2020 said:

It was in our handbook...

CA22BB06-7AD1-404D-92A2-34504EBC716C.jpeg

I’ve just looked again and have seen it! Is this to do with the paragraph above that one maybe to do with vocational training? I honestly don’t know but it does seem a bit odd?

We’ve had to send one in the last 3/4 years at least. I believe it’s just so they can see if there are any issues they would need to be aware of in class - I imagine things like dyslexia (as they often have to take notes, read things on the board etc) and it’s good to be aware in advance if this might be as issue for certain kids. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AllAboutTheJourney said:

We’ve had to send one in the last 3/4 years at least. I believe it’s just so they can see if there are any issues they would need to be aware of in class - I imagine things like dyslexia (as they often have to take notes, read things on the board etc) and it’s good to be aware in advance if this might be as issue for certain kids. 

yes I guess makes sense, thank you for confirming its just 'normal' 

JA National Skirt for sale!

Congratulations to all your dancers...

My daughter is moving up to Mids this September so I have a Royal Ballet Junior Associate National Skirt, in perfect condition, which I'd like to sell.

They are pricey, (£45 including material and make-up service a couple of years back) and worn only irregularly so I'd definitely recommend getting a pre-loved one.

My daughter's has a drop of 59cm (from top of the waist band to the bottom of the hem), or a waist to knee measurement of 51cm. The waist measurement is 60cm (as per measurements required by Express Dance) 

£20 plus postage.

Any questions, just ask!

image0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sundance said:

JA National Skirt for sale!

Congratulations to all your dancers...

My daughter is moving up to Mids this September so I have a Royal Ballet Junior Associate National Skirt, in perfect condition, which I'd like to sell.

They are pricey, (£45 including material and make-up service a couple of years back) and worn only irregularly so I'd definitely recommend getting a pre-loved one.

My daughter's has a drop of 59cm (from top of the waist band to the bottom of the hem), or a waist to knee measurement of 51cm. The waist measurement is 60cm (as per measurements required by Express Dance) 

£20 plus postage.

Any questions, just ask!

image0.jpeg

I would love this please! I just need to measure my daughter and get back to you if that’s ok?

I’d just be a little cautious about the shoes as it depends on the centre - some of the teachers are more strict than others and will insist on the full sole leather ones (as they work their feet harder). I doubt any of them will mind if you don’t have the ‘right’ shoes for the first week though so you could hold off and see if you wanted to. 

• Like 1

With regards to shoes, I wouldn’t buy the full sole just yet. Turn up first week in shoes they normally wear for regular ballet class and then ask the teacher. A few girls in my daughters class brought full soles but ended up wearing split soles as the teacher didn’t have a preference. 

Same goes for hair for the girls I would say - unless you get specific instructions in advance or know someone in the class already, just do a bun or crossed plaits for the first class and the teacher will explain what they prefer. In some centres its crossed plaits for everyone, in other centres some of the year groups have a bun/something else. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, L188t said:

My daughter is starting at Birmingham JA2 in September. Does anyone know why JA1 and 2 have 24 sessions and the JA3 and 4 have 32 sessions?

I did wonder this myself, my daughter is JA1 for Birmingham. I wondered if it was an age thing, and that they give more sessions to the older girls?

On 20/06/2023 at 22:21, Sundance said:
On 20/06/2023 at 21:53, Tendu_mum said:

I would love this please! I just need to measure my daughter and get back to you if that’s ok?

Of course!

Hi Tendu_mum - will the skirt fit your daughter? Thanks! 

we are JA3 London, my older daughter has just finished Ja's and moving into MA's, when she started we ordered the shoes from the uniform shop but they were terrible fit, baggy and over sized, she did wear them for some of the term and then i gave in and let her wear her normal split sole canvas which everyone else in her class was wearing! So i'll just let my younger daughter wear her normal ballet shoes! I need to read the info booklet as i didn't and hadn't seem that we need to submit school report or a headshot! 

On 21/06/2023 at 08:01, AllAboutTheJourney said:

I’d just be a little cautious about the shoes as it depends on the centre - some of the teachers are more strict than others and will insist on the full sole leather ones (as they work their feet harder). I doubt any of them will mind if you don’t have the ‘right’ shoes for the first week though so you could hold off and see if you wanted to. 

Sorry I just wanted to clarify my own post re shoes. I've just received the info pack and I see that it is now canvas shoes for the girls (not leather like it was a couple of years ago). I'm out of date - apologies!