2023 Frederick Ashton lecture

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

The 2023 Frederick Ashton lecture will be held at the Wallace Collection in London and via Zoom on Monday 19th June 2023 - tickets are free:

https://www.wallacecollection.org/whats-on/events/out-of-this-world-dancing-into-fairylands/

Glad it’s accessible via Zoom and for 1 week after Monday too. Thank you, bridiem! - looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oncnp said:

There is a finite amount of bandwidth available and perhaps they have reached it.

Could the organisers pay to increase bandwidth, or is this a technical limitation? Seems very odd - I 'attend' Zoom talks regularly, run by all sorts of organisations, and there has never been this problem.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Could the organisers pay to increase bandwidth, or is this a technical limitation? Seems very odd - I 'attend' Zoom talks regularly, run by all sorts of organisations, and there has never been this problem.

Fair point but without knowing how many people have signed up it's difficult to determine. And paying for additional bandwidth for a free event may be problematic. The Wallace is a small museum with free admission (and a wonderful one, one of my favorites) and the resources may not be there. 

Or as someone else pointed out it may be an error, tied to the "sold out" for in person attendance.

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, Peanut68 said:

Esp odd to not be available online as if it’s viewable for a week not all would watch live or at same times….

But they don't know how many will be on at any given time so I would think they would plan for worst case scenario to avoid all the complaining that would happen if they were over subscribed. 

True….. but I’d be very happy for time slots to be made available & book one… with international interest sone would want to be watching their day our night etc….no idea of tech allows for this or indeed if it should actually be an issue at all as surely lots of zoom events attract potentially 100‘s of 1000’s of viewers at any one time…. Could be limitations as free? Maybe as a charity it has a limitation on free use age? I’d be very happy to pay a fee…

• Like 1

Zoom, the app, does have a maximum.

For the basic level which is free of charge, it’s 100 participants.

For large meetings (not sure how much that costs the host) eg school or university lectures, they can have 300 participants.

For larger, eg business meetings or conferences (definitely not free), they can have 500 or by special request, 1000.

I’m not sure what the difference in prices for 100 to 1000 are. It’s possible that the museum only has the basic free version as they’re not charging anything and they also have an in person audience to cater to (in terms of answering questions, for example). 

Perhaps the availability for one week can be made available to those who couldn’t get tickets after the event on request, or perhaps they could film just the lecture and make that available on YouTube or make a transcript of the talk available on their website or something. 

PS just to point out to fellow members, Professor Dame Marina Warner is an eminent historian, fiction writer (she was shortlisted for the Booker Prize, 1988) and academic, but not a dancer, so I expect she is approaching it from the literary and historical point of view rather than talking about the choreography or performing aspects. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Emeralds explains well….makes me wonder though how does the LBC send out their talks? I’ve attended a few & think thet were via zoom….I imagine they have more than 100 often? Also, I seem to recall to use zoom free it’s limited to a maximum of 45 minute duration (please correct me if I have this wrong) & certainly these lasted much longer (& very good they were too!) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Emeralds explains well….makes me wonder though how does the LBC send out their talks? I’ve attended a few & think thet were via zoom….I imagine they have more than 100 often? Also, I seem to recall to use zoom free it’s limited to a maximum of 45 minute duration (please correct me if I have this wrong) & certainly these lasted much longer (& very good they were too!) 

Yes, free zoom access limits you to 40 minutes.

I assume LBC must have a paid zoom license.

• Like 1

Yes I guess they must have…. Wonder if there’s a way that the FA lecture folks can see how many want to book but can’t as it’s already fully booked? Maybe that could give them confidence to book for larger zoom or could it be streamed via Facebook or YouTube or something? 

• Like 2

On 22/04/2023 at 16:08, Jane S said:

The previous lecture in this series, by composer Michael Berkeley, is still online if you want to get some idea of the occasion, and the full text of the first one, by Nicholas Hytner, is on the Ashton Foundation website.

Am now reading Hytner’s talk as a result of the questions posed -thank you Jane S. (I saw A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Handel, which straightaway got my attention!) Hopefully the transcript of Professor Warner’s talk will be similarly posted.  

Reply received from The Wallace Collection: 

'Thank you for getting in touch and bringing this error to our attention. There certainly are still online tickets available for this event and the booking page should now be working correctly. Please don't hesitate to contact me, however, if you experience any further difficulties.'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 23/04/2023 at 13:06, Peanut68 said:

Yes I guess they must have…. Wonder if there’s a way that the FA lecture folks can see how many want to book but can’t as it’s already fully booked? Maybe that could give them confidence to book for larger zoom or could it be streamed via Facebook or YouTube or something? 

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

Reply received from The Wallace Collection: 

'Thank you for getting in touch and bringing this error to our attention. There certainly are still online tickets available for this event and the booking page should now be working correctly. Please don't hesitate to contact me, however, if you experience any further difficulties.'

Glad to see they did have capacity for more participants after all! Thank you for helping to sort this out for everyone who was interested in the lecture, bridiem! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well that was good fun watching online and an impressive feat from Professor Marina Warner giving a 50 minute or so speech with virtually no breaks (apart from when the temperamental short YouTube clips were being played)! I wouldn’t like to give a long speech in this weather, and she’s of a more venerable age than I! Impressively researched. Thank you for letting us know and for sorting out the initial Zoom booking hiccups some members experienced, @bridiem. 💐💐💐

Hope other members enjoyed it whether in person or at home.  @annamk, hope they sent you the link in time to join it. 

• Like 1