Australian Ballet Livestreams 2023

The Australian Ballet has announced its 2023 season will once again be "livestreamed".

Happily the model has changed and we now have 14 days from the start of each stream to watch, on "any" device.

Cost is $100AUD for all four, or $29/26AUD separately.

Sadly the mixed première bill Identity featuring new work by Alice Topp and Daniel Riley is not included.

The four shows are Don Quixote, Jewels, Swan Lake and The Dream/Marguerite and Armand.

All start at 7:15pm Australian east coast time.

The dates are

Friday 24 March (Don Quixote)

Thursday 6 July (Jewels)

Friday 29 September (Swan Lake)

Tuesday 21 November (Ashton bill)

Casting is usually available a week or so before each season starts, with Melbourne Don Quixote casts here (Ako Kondo as Kitri, Chengwu Guo as Basilio, and about-to-retire Adam Bull as the Don).

Here is the Ballet TV page with details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

• 7 months later...
On 02/10/2023 at 22:08, oncnp said:

On 03/10/2023 at 02:36, alison said:

after that, on 21st November, and presumably for two weeks after, we have The Dream and Marguerite and Armand :):)

On 08/10/2023 at 03:13, Pas de Quatre said:

You can only watch once. 

They have a weird system as the link is sent in an email and then you are supposed to start watching and cast or connect by wire to your Smart TV. Couldn't get any of my devices to do that so I am watching on a laptop. Is anyone else having this problem? 

AusBallet's streaming model is WEIRD and at $29AUD quite expensive to only be able to watch once.

Watch once on one device. No swapping between devices.

Set up your device to be already streaming or already connected by cable to your preferred screen before you start the stream, is my advice. I would of course never advise anyone to capture the stream as that would be Very Naughty.

Very odd they're streaming a Tuesday performance with, IMHO, sub-optimal Titania and Oberon. But it is the retiring Amy Harris as Marguerite.

Casting as scheduled:

Marguerite Amy Harris

Armand Nathan Brook

Armand's Father Steven Heathcote

Duke Joey Romancewicz

Conductor Barry Wordsworth

Pianist Andrew Dunlop (ex Northern Ballet, now our "Principal Company Pianist & Head of Music Staff")

Titania Ako Kondo

Oberon Chengwu Guo

Puck Brett Chynoweth 

Bottom Luke Marchant

Hermia Rina Nemoto

Lysander Hugo Dumapit

Helena Valerie Tereshchenko

Demetrius Mason Lovegrove

Conductor Barry Wordsworth

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

AusBallet's streaming model is WEIRD and at $29AUD quite expensive to only be able to watch once.

I'm not sure that is true any more.  This is what is on their website:

"Each livestream can be accessed on any device for up to 14 days from the livestream start time without needing to download software or applications"

i.e. there's no mention of being allowed to watch the stream once only.

I know I watched one of their recent streams on two separate occasions without a problem.  I don't remember which one it was but I definitely watched it twice.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I found in the end I could go back to my laptop and start again from  beginning or anywhere. But using their test video I could not get any device to connect to my smart TV. It is so much easier when you can access from a website online simply by logging in to your own account!

They say on their website "Streaming or casting from your device to your TV can be a little tricky due to the number of combinations of devices, TVs, and peripherals. In principle, devices and connected technologies using the same brand work the best."

You had better believe it !!!

And then they say you can phone their customer services team. Of course in the middle of the night U.K time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2023 at 05:11, Jan McNulty said:

Sydney Opera House is streaming a number of items including some dance to celebrate 50 years.  You need to check the date of streamings:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/sep/04/best-sydney-opera-house-show-concerts-streaming-free

Australian Ballet’s Paquita from 2013 is currently steamed via Sydney Opéra House till November 16th.

https://stream.sydneyoperahouse.com/videos/the-australian-ballet-pacquita-2013

Leads are Lana Jones and Kevin Jackson, with Amy Harris, Juliet Burnett Ako Kondo and Miwako Kubota in the variations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Naomi M said:

Australian Ballet’s Paquita from 2013 is currently steamed via Sydney Opéra House till November 16th.

https://stream.sydneyoperahouse.com/videos/the-australian-ballet-pacquita-2013

Leads are Lana Jones and Kevin Jackson, with Amy Harris, Juliet Burnett Ako Kondo and Miwako Kubota in the variations. 

Thanks for the reminder, Naomi!

If anyone is interested and is happy using a VPN, there's still quite a few Australian Ballet performances available on ABC iView, which is free. Paquita, Warumuk - in the Dark Night (Stephen Page and Bangarra), Sleeping Beauty, Coppélia, Dyad 1929 (McGregor), Cinderella (Ratmansky), Romeo and Juliet (Murphy), Spartacus (Jervies), The Merry Widow, and La Sylphide. Also Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker!, Red Shoes and Swan Lake.

Lana Jones, one of the most classical ballerinas we've had in the last 20 years. Her retirement was, IMHO, far too soon, but she's now a midwife in Brisbane, and she and husband Daniel Gaudiello (also retired principal) have a son.

Kevin Jackson is teaching at the Australian Ballet School.

Amy Harris is retiring next week after 22 years with the company. She and husband Jarryd Madden have two children.

Ako Kondo continues to dance as a principal with the company, and she and husband Chengwu Guo have a little one sharing the love with the "fur babies".

Juliet Burnett left the company in 2015 after (finally) dancing Odette and Giselle, and after freelancing for a while joined Ballet Vlaanderen. She's been back in Australia freelancing again for a couple of years now. She did get to dance the Akram Khan Giselle while there.

Beautiful (my favourite) Miwako Kubota retired in December 2016 and she and her partner have a gorgeous little boy. She taught company class in Brisbane while they were dancing there recently.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...