Woolf Works - Royal Ballet March 2023

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so excited for this - going to see Alessandra Ferri at the matinee on 11th March.  Watching her in Romeo and Juliet with Wayne Eagling (yes, old VHS cassette!) was what made me fall in love with ballet.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows who else is cast in the run?  I've seen the odd snippet - William Bracewell is due to dance with Ferri (I'm assuming in the role originally danced by Bonelli) and also Gary Avis seems to have confirmed that he's reprising his role in Act 1.  The information on the website is confined to the leading ladies, so if anyone else has any more information I'd be interested to know who I could expect to see... thanks in advance!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Cescablue said:

I am so excited for this - going to see Alessandra Ferri at the matinee on 11th March.  Watching her in Romeo and Juliet with Wayne Eagling (yes, old VHS cassette!) was what made me fall in love with ballet.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows who else is cast in the run?  I've seen the odd snippet - William Bracewell is due to dance with Ferri (I'm assuming in the role originally danced by Bonelli) and also Gary Avis seems to have confirmed that he's reprising his role in Act 1.  The information on the website is confined to the leading ladies, so if anyone else has any more information I'd be interested to know who I could expect to see... thanks in advance!

David Donnelly is due to dance the husband opposite Natalia Osipova.  Advance casting information is almost non-existent.  If nothing else it would be nice for people to know who the male leads are, too. 

• Like 9

I was thinking when I booked this about how many of the original cast are no longer with the company. Federico Bonelli, Edward Watson, Beatriz Stix-Brunell, Eric Underwood, who all had lead or featured roles in one or two of the acts. And Natalia Osipova, who had a lead role in the second act (Orlando), will have a new Orlando ballerina when she takes Ferri’s role in the first and third acts. I wonder if she’ll even reprise her original role at all in this run? Both wistful for the wonderful dancers we miss and excited to see what the new casts will bring to their interpretation. 

Then again, when we attended the premiere run, we had no idea who was going to be dancing at the time also - all I knew was that Ferri and Bonelli were dancing a pas de deux which they’d presented at the Insights Evening (as in turned out, the final key pas de deux in the third act). I am also going this time partly to buy a programme as they ran out of programmes to sell (this happens a lot at ROH for new productions 😂) last time, and we missed the second run due to flu, so I have to get it belatedly this time. 😄

• Like 4

Just noticed that Melissa Hamilton has announced she's dancing the Orlando pdd with Calvin Richardson on 3rd, 9th (eve), 11th (eve), 18th (m) and 21st (e).

I would have liked to have seen RIchardson again - saw him as a Hungarian Officer in Mayerling in November.  Not to be this time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cescablue said:

I am going to book this but have no details on the casts at all and can't find anything online, which is very frustrating. I always try to book to see William Bracewell, but can't make 11th March. Does anyone else know when he may be dancing? If not, I'll just take pot luck and book a date I can make. 

5 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I am going to book this but have no details on the casts at all and can't find anything online, which is very frustrating. I always try to book to see William Bracewell, but can't make 11th March. Does anyone else know when he may be dancing? If not, I'll just take pot luck and book a date I can make. 

Alessandra Ferri, who is partnered with Bracewell, is scheduled to dance 16 and 18 March.  So I guess we can assume he is dancing with her on those dates.  But hey, who knows?!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

Alessandra Ferri, who is partnered with Bracewell, is scheduled to dance 16 and 18 March.  So I guess we can assume he is dancing with her on those dates.  But hey, who knows?!

Thanks, Sim. I have booked for 18th March. I want to see Ferri dance anyway but have been holding off booking to see who else would be dancing. At the end of the day, though I try to book certain dancers, I accept they may be injured, ill etc. so I am certain whoever dances I will enjoy it. 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 1

As far as I know Ferri is dancing tomorrow night on the 1st. I hope so as booked especially to see her!! 
Ive just seen she is dancing but with somebody I don’t know : Anush Hovhannisyan? 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

I rather liked Rachel Hollings’ Instagram post the other day with photos of Annette Buvoli and Nicol Edmunds. And Rachel said they were dancing Rezia and Septimus. I’ll be very interested to see if the Cast Sheet is any more helpful this run as in previous runs dancers were simply listed in alphabetical order with no indication of their character.
For The Dante Project there were useful casting details and a synopsis. I’d like to think Wayne McGregor might have changed his stance as regards sharing conventional material with audiences.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

As far as I know Ferri is dancing tomorrow night on the 1st. I hope so as booked especially to see her!! 
Ive just seen she is dancing but with somebody I don’t know : Anush Hovhannisyan? 

Anush Hovhannisyan is a soprano x

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Whoops looks like Anush is a female singer….and appearing with every female lead …..so not dancing with Ferri!! Looks like only the main role is given in the cast information 

She has a lovely voice and is a wonderful actress, too.

• Like 2

As it happened yesterday afternoon on BBC radio 4 at 3pm I think it’s a music quiz programme called Counterpoint ….one of the questions was on whose works was the Wayne McGregor ballet based with music composed by Max Richter (after playing the lovely bit at the end from The Waves) …..of course ..for once.. I knew the answer!!! 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I am also going this time partly to buy a programme as they ran out of programmes to sell (this happens a lot at ROH for new productions 😂) last time, and we missed the second run due to flu, so I have to get it belatedly this time. 😄

I had to ask a kind friend to get me a programme for the 2017 run, as I ended up having to dump all my tickets for it :(   At least the second-run ones tend to have production photos in them.  Had I known how many of the dancers weren't going to be reprising their roles, I would have been even gladder of it.

• Like 1

I’m going to the general rehearsal on Wednesday and then to the performances that night and on Friday. I am assuming that the general rehearsal will be a different cast from the opening later that day due to union rules. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LinMM said:

Anush is the singer for the performance-she’s one of the Royal Opera’s popular sopranos in operas  like La Traviata, La Boheme. You can relax- I’m sure you’ll recognise whoever she is dancing with, LinMM.....even though I am not 100% certain who he will be. 😊 

Shall we have a guess? 

The rehearsal cast sheet is up for what looks like the Nunez cast! Interestingly, Mock cast in the Richard Dalloway role originated by Gary Avis. And Ball in Bonelli's role in Waves. While I won't be attending, I am seeing the evening performance tonight and already brimming with excitement!

14 hours ago, LinMM said:

Whoops looks like Anush is a female singer….and appearing with every female lead …..so not dancing with Ferri!! Looks like only the main role is given in the cast information 

Sorry, jumped in immediately to furnish you with the info before noticing that loads of people have replied and you have the answer. 😂 We can still guess who the male lead for The Waves might be though. Am going to guess rather randomly, Alexander Campbell and Ryoichi Hirano. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

I've seen from social media that Ferri is rehearsing Waves with Bracewell! I think he will be a great fit for the role. And I think Osipova is with Clarke and Nunez with Ball 

Yes Bracewell was my guess earlier in the thread - certainly hope so as I'm going to the matinee next Saturday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

I've seen from social media that Ferri is rehearsing Waves with Bracewell! I think he will be a great fit for the role. And I think Osipova is with Clarke and Nunez with Ball 

I suppose we should have guessed that Osipova would be dancing with Clarke - she rarely dances with anyone else!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I note that the cast sheet now identifies the characters for I Now, I Then (including Virginia Woolf / Older Clarissa) but not The Waves.

It would be impossible, Tuesday loosely inherits only themes and structure from The Waves, but none of the plot. It's interesting to see that Matthew Ball is doing the Bonelli track, he works very well with Nunez 

Good to see the casting information and synopses in the Cast Sheet, a big improvement on earlier runs. I still think some indication of narrative would help, for example that Septimus jumps out of a window to his death.
Looking forward very much to Friday’s performance.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Cescablue said:

OK, I'm very happy - it appears that Yasmine Naghdi is taking on the Young Clarissa role in the Ferri cast.  I've never seen her dance in person before, but think she's amazing from seeing her on screen!

She is indeed dancing the role tonight in this cast.  She is a wonderful dancer, especially if you are a fan of beautiful classicism. I highly recommend you see her Aurora live, if you can.  

• Like 5