Crown Ballet from Moldova

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself, unexpectedly, staying in Rickmansworth in NW London, near Watford. The local  Watersmeet community centre/ theatre has a performance tomorrow Tuesday 27th September of ‘Swan Lake’ by the Crown Ballet company from Moldova.
https://www.watersmeet.co.uk/swan-lake-ballet

They seem to have been on an extensive tour around smaller venues in the U.K., but  I can’t find anything about them, but I assume it will be recorded music, not live.
I am tempted, it is a 2 minute walk and tickets are £30 but I also fear it may be a mistake.  
Has anyone seen them, or heard anything about them?

thank you

Graham

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gdallas said:

I find myself, unexpectedly, staying in Rickmansworth in NW London, near Watford. The local  Watersmeet community centre/ theatre has a performance tomorrow Tuesday 27th September of ‘Swan Lake’ by the Crown Ballet company from Moldova.
https://www.watersmeet.co.uk/swan-lake-ballet

They seem to have been on an extensive tour around smaller venues in the U.K., but  I can’t find anything about them, but I assume it will be recorded music, not live.
I am tempted, it is a 2 minute walk and tickets are £30 but I also fear it may be a mistake.  
Has anyone seen them, or heard anything about them?

thank you

Graham

As you can see, we've already had a brief discussion about the company and I don't think any of us have seen them.

It may be worth giving them a whirl.

If you don’t mind supporting a small troupe who probably have quite a few young dancers or dancers who haven’t had a lot of experience performing abroad who are just really excited about dancing in Britain, and you’d like to be encouraging, then you may get a very enthusiastic ensemble who are really grateful for every audience member there. But bear in mind the company is unlikely to be as polished or technically proficient as the Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet or English National Ballet, although one or two talents might be noteworthy.

The main company of Moldova is National Ballet of Moldova based in the Maria Biesu National Theatre of Opera and Ballet in the capital Chisinau (Dina Tamazlacaru of Staatsballett Berlin is one star to have been born and trained in Moldova). If you do attend (are there any tickets lower than £30- if you go to the box office in person at the last minute, they might well have offers/discounts?) let us know what you thought! 

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Surely a company from Chisinau has performed in the UK before?

Yes, but perhaps these companies are filling the void left by the Russian companies that usually tour.

I see, for example, that the Royal Czech Ballet is touring Swan Lake in Australia.

• 1 year later...

I attended a performance of Crown Ballet's Swan Lake last night 30 sept 23. I've posted a review. Obviously they arent Birmingham Royal Ballet or Russian Ballet. The troupe were pretty tight and disciplined on our 14 × 14m stage at Consett Empire. All in all a worthwhile visit and very enjoyable to see a small troupe (20+) attending our small regional theatre.

The music was taped, Consett doesnt have an orchestra pit in any case but it waa perfectly reasonable. I'd go again. 

Edited by Colin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colin said:

I attended a performance of Crown Ballet's Swan Lake last night 30 sept 23. I've posted a review.

Here's a link. 

The FB page has a few short videos and no, not the Royal Ballet obvs but it does look interesting, with decent costumes and productions designed for smaller venues.

https://www.facebook.com/crownclassicalballet/