Ballet Icons Gala - 19 February 2023

1 hour ago, Lesley said:

He danced Sleeping Beauty on Feb 3rd and Prix de Lausanne on the 5th,

No get lag from South Africa so perfectly possible to be on London on 19th.

I’m not a dancer but I am aware of how it feels after a long distance overnight journey (possibly with changes and layovers  en route plus cramped legs) and I would not feel that I could give of my best if I had to go straight from LHR to class and rehearsal (with a partner), then performance with no opportunity to draw breath. 
Please let’s be reasonable. Dancers know their own bodies and limitations. If Vadim had been approached initially, his name should’ve been removed from the list the minute he notified the organisers that he was no longer available (a long time ago according to posts above). The fact that he’s still misleadingly listed surely lies at the door of the organisers.

• Like 2

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

Which of these dancers is actually an icon? I think that this term does not apply to all participants by a long shot. Such superlatives are used too inflationarily, which makes the actual term more and more meaningless.  Nureyev was undoubtedly an icon. I wouldn't put all the participants on that level. 

The name “ballet icons” actually refers to the theme of the show and not the performers: when it began, the icons were the figures being honoured-Galina Ulanova, Maya Plisetskaya, Rudolf Nureyev, etc and the performers often tried to perform a piece that was closely associated with that legendary artist or the period in which he or she was active, such as Giselle, The Red Poppy, Chopiniana/Les Sylphides etc for Ulanova. But I think as time passed and they’d honoured all the people who could truly be described as icons, unless they wanted to repeat the same people being honoured, there was no longer a theme but they just kept the word icons in the name to let audiences know it was the same organisers. And I guess it was sensible to drop “Russian” from the name after 24 Feb 2022 as well. I’d have dropped it immediately after 2014 actually, but better late than never. It’s a pity it isn’t scheduled for 12 Feb instead of 19 Feb, as I can do 12th but (currently) not 19th. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The list of dancers higher up this thread appears to be the original ‘long list’ posted on the Coliseum’s webpage so it cannot be relied on to be current.   

Programme gleaned so far from dancers’ posts: 

Maia Makhateli & Daniil Simkin - TCHAI pdd

Julian MacKay & Evelina Godunova - FLAMES OF PARIS

Antonio Casalinho & Margarita Fernandez - LE CORSAIRE

Iana Salenko & ? (possibly David Motta Soares, also from Berlin) - DON Q

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

The list of dancers higher up this thread appears to be the original ‘long list’ posted on the Coliseum’s webpage so it cannot be relied on to be current.   

Programme gleaned so far from dancers’ posts: 

Maia Makhateli & Daniil Simkin - TCHAI pdd

Julian MacKay & Evelina Godunova - FLAMES OF PARIS

Antonio Casalinho & Margarita Fernandez - LE CORSAIRE

Iana Salenko & ? (possibly David Motta Soares, also from Berlin) - DON Q

And, as I mentioned earlier, Yasmine Naghdi/Reece Clarke dancing the bedroom pdd from Manon.  

• Like 1

Sergio Bernal usually performs a solo (always incredible) so am guessing -based on info that some dancers have given out - that everyone else is listed with their partner in order, eg. Yasmine + Reece, Maia + Daniil, Katja + Aitor, Dorothee + Audric, Lucia + Matthew, Evelina + Julian, Iana + Dmitry, Calvin + Marianela. The names I’m not sure of are the last two - Calvin (from ABT) and Marianela (RB). Also, Jeffrey Cirio isn’t on that list. Salenko has mentioned that she is dancing Don Q but not who her partner is. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Sergio Bernal usually performs a solo (always incredible) so am guessing -based on info that some dancers have given out - that everyone else is listed with their partner in order, eg. Yasmine + Reece, Maia + Daniil, Katja + Aitor, Dorothee + Audric, Lucia + Matthew, Evelina + Julian, Iana + Dmitry, Calvin + Marianela. The names I’m not sure of are the last two - Calvin (from ABT) and Marianela (RB). Also, Jeffrey Cirio isn’t on that list. Salenko has mentioned that she is dancing Don Q but not who her partner is. 

perhaps there is a page 2 that Nunez didn't put on her IG?

Edited by oncnp

I'm rather hoping it will be Grand Pas Classique. And they have, of course, danced this together

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

Maybe Grand Pas Classique?

17 minutes ago, ElleC said:

I think it might be the pdd from Coppelia (seem to remember seeing that somewhere but not 100% certain).

I'm rather hoping it will be Grand Pas Classique. And they have, of course, previously danced this together.

9 minutes ago, MaddieRose said:

Nicoletta Manni posted on Instagram to say her and Timofej Andrijashenko are performing Petit's Carmen 

Ah. So perhaps there is indeed a page 2 that didn’t end up on Instagram. After all, Antonio Casalinho & Margarita Fernandez were also listed by @FionaE. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FionaE said:

😂 the website and social media of this gala could do with a dose of professionalism 🙄

Plus ensuring the release of accurate information before tickets are put on sale - a must in all such situations but especially when the prices are set so high.

• Like 2

A prize for whoever can be the first to post a photo of the entire programme of items being danced here - but please don’t make yourself late getting to your seat in the process, and without disrupting fellow patrons (ie not after house lights have been dimmed for the show).  😊

Perhaps Daniil is singing and dancing (hopefully not at the same time)....after all, he has lots of different interests and has undertaken a variety of projects apart from dancing. 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

From @Silver Capricorn's Instagram post.❤️

Screenshot_20230219_193537_Instagram.jpg

💐for Sabine0308 

💐for Silver Capricorn.

I think it has to be a joint prize so digital bouquets for you both! 

(I hope you weren’t expecting real flowers, Sabine0308. 😉 Look on the bright side- these won't wilt. 😄

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

@Emeralds lol. All flowers to Silver Capricorn!💐💐❤️

Very sweet of you, Sabine0308!  (I have used up my likes for today so cannot react to your post). Silver Capricorn can have two for taking the picture 💐💐 if you wish, but you deserve one for telling us too! 💐 

I’m slightly disappointed Daniil won’t be singing Tchaikovsky after all. Maybe next time 😂😂

I also cannot identify any recognisable unifying theme for an icon this year. Maybe ‘choreography” can be the theme since quite a few dancers are doing their own choreography, and the icons can be the choreographers dancers admire and are dancing, like Petipa, Ashton, MacMillan, Petit, Balanchine, Khan etc. (A bit of a stretch!) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Did you want to see it, alison? Am sure it will come back to the rep at ROH soon and Hayward & Bracewell might be cast together (after all, they were for Swan Lake). 

But, presumably, Bracewell is subbing for Sambe who was originally announced as appearing and danced The Dream pdd with Hayward at the Prix de Lausanne Gala fortnight ago.

• Like 2