Royal Opera House Tours

I've done a quick search and can't see a discussion sooooo.....

Can anyone tell me what you would expect to see in one of the £16, 75 minute tours of the ROH during the off season?

The website states twice that it  'does not enter the backstage areas of the Royal Opera House' it but I'm not sure exactly what that rules out.

I've done one previously, but it was a few years ago now (pre covid) so can't remember which exact tour it was.

Essentially from memory they take you around the auditorium mainly (and I think it was only the amphitheater from memory), and we did go 'backstage' - not perhaps literally but we certainly went in areas you couldn't just randomly go in as a casual visitor to ROH - we walked past some of the ballet rehearsal rooms and then went into one of the costumer's rooms (?) which had a large table and a few costumes in. Walked past the back of the stage from a corridor higher up, so had a view looking down on backstage and some sets but didn't go down there. A large part of the tour was us sitting in the amphitheatre learning facts and being spoken at. Apparently on some tours you can catch glimpses of dancers in rehearsals in the rooms you walk past but it was pretty empty when I went (perhaps because it was during Summer?). 

I think it might be worth going once as they are rather informative, so it depends whether you are going to find out more or for a visual experience, in which case if it's the latter as a regular ROH attender you are likely to be disappointed if they have removed all the backstage elements. The guide was professional and knowledgable. 

I'd really like to see a tour where you do go properly backstage, and explore those hidden areas like the rehearsal rooms or even dancers' dressing rooms (obviously off season so it wouldn't be intrusive!) and the office areas! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went on a backstage tour some years and took my mother who, despite having no interest in ballet or opera, found it absolutely fascinating. We were taken into the auditorium and given a history of the building and then backstage to see the areas where the scenery is kept (huge!) and then the costume department, rehearsal areas etc. We were lucky enough to see Carlos Acosta as repetiteur I think for Don Quixote, Also saw a few dancers including Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Akane Takada and Tristan Dyer. Obviously that was during the season, do I don't know how that would compare to a tour during the summer.

• Like 3

I’ve been on a couple. They were very interesting with an excellent guide on each. The first one several years ago took us properly backstage - we went into the dancers rest area, although it was quiet (Jonathan Cope did pass by, which thrilled the couple of us who knew who he was!), and I recall going by (but not into) the artists’ canteen, along with the costume department and a window overlooking the huge backstage scenery area. I remember  watching a class taught by Maina Gielgud with a number of familiar dancers, including (as I recall), Akane Takada, Sarah Lamb and Roberta Marquez who was just about to retire, amongst others.

The second time I took a couple of friends and it was just as good, but we didn’t go near the dancers’ rest area or canteen - they stated that those areas had been taken off the tour for the artists’ privacy, so perhaps that’s what they mean by no ‘backstage’ areas? We did still see the backstage scenery area and - as this was the early afternoon tour - we were able to watch Federico Bonelli rehearsing Manon in the Ashton Studio. As it was lunchtime there was a constant stream of dancers to-ing and fro-ing into the lifts just behind us, including Natalia Osipova, Lauren Cuthbertson and Vadim Muntagirov!

I’d be tempted to contact the ROH and ask them if no backstage areas means no backstage, full stop, or if they mean just the most private areas. If the tours are currently anything like the ones I went on, they are well worth it (even taking the dancer-spotting out of the equation!), and are a fascinating glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes. If it is just the auditorium and public areas, although the history of the place is interesting, I wouldn’t think it would be so good - it’s the backstage workings that are really what I enjoyed seeing.

Edited by Balletfanp
Typo
  • Like 4

I've been on a couple of tours though I prefer to go when the dancers are in residence so you stand a chance of a glimpse of a class or rehearsal both of which I've seen. Carlos Acosta was waiting for the lift but seemed rather horrified at the idea of sharing it with a large group of balletomans so waited for the next one much to our disappointment. However, this means you can't see more personal areas like dressing rooms which I've never seen. I remember being fascinated by the costume department which you get a glimpse of if you're on the amphi terrace. Perhaps try and find out what might be included when you're thinking of going, and if there's something specific you'd like to see then ask when the best time would be. 

I think the content varies. When I went, we were able to glimpse a bit of rehearsals (through the studio windows). It was Monica Mason coaching Itziar Mendizabal as Mrythe. Saw some dancers by the lifts too. The area of the auditorium we went into was the grand tier. There was a stage call going on for - if I recall correctly - Winter's Tale - and Kevin O'Hare and Christopher Wheeldon were in the stalls, although the dancers were on a break. I would definitely go again; you never know who or what you might see! 

Edited by RHowarth
  • Thanks 1

I went a couple of weeks ago and was generally whelmed. It might be more interesting for tourists and people who haven't already experienced the building.

We did sit in the main auditorium during an orchestra session and, from behind glass, saw a little of Akane Takada and Rhonchi Hirano practising movement in one of the six top floor studios. Another interesting moment was seeing, from a distant vantage point, the scale of the area for backstage sets.

Otherwise, it was mostly public areas, admin corridors and a little by-the-numbers; it's understandable, the building is a unique combination of admin and elite performance workspaces.

Edited by postie
spelling
  • Thanks 1

I've been on three back-stage tours over past years, two being for a Group I lead, and they have been most interesting. However, I recall reading not long ago that the tours do not currently include costume department, viewing windows of dance studios, in fact areas other than public areas, so as to protect dancers, performers, and all staff from Covid, which I can fully understand. Indeed, a friend of mine was a supervisor in the costume department for 30 years, retiring 20 years ago, and taking her to a rehearsal I phoned to ask whether I could bring her to the costume department, but they apologised that this was not possible so as to avoid exposing staff, etc., to Covid.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I went on one of the ROH backstage tours today and found it very interesting and enjoyable. After the usual talk in the ground floor area about the history of the buildings that they have been on the site and a look at all the pictures and photos round the walls we went downstairs and walked through the lighting department where the different sort of lights were explained and then we also walked through the costume department where we saw all the costumes lined up for La Boheme and the upcoming Sleeping Beauty.

We also had a look at the area at the back of the stage and saw how the various sets are manoeuvred around for different performances.

We were able to look in the windows of one of the rehearsal areas for ballet, and we were lucky to be able to see a bit of Fumi and Vadim rehearsing for Mayerling together with their coaches Alexander Agazhanov and Zenaida Yanovsky. I thought Vadim looked rather sweaty and tired which is hardly surprising considering how demanding the role is and all the other things he’s got going on at the moment. I’m surprised they had to do some extra rehearsal since what I saw on their first performance look pretty good to me.

Obviously, it’s just a matter of luck when you get to see anybody rehearsing either backstage or in the auditorium.

On our tour we were also able to sit in on a tech rehearsal of the opera Alcina. Sitting in the amphitheatre we could experience how good the acoustics are and how sitting at the side of the amphi you still get a good view. Good PR from the ROH. The guide also showed us the restaurants and Cafes and was able to take us into the Crush Room which, I must say, is very beautiful.

• Like 5