Yr12 entry auditions to NBS

Silversparkle

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, PointeMeTheRightWay said:

We finally have the offer via the portal that states that fees need to be paid by 15th August. No info yet on DADA. Has anyone else accepted pending Dada as that does t seem to be an option on the portal.

Yes we have, no news on DaDA yet either 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, balletbean said:

That’s is strange as uS have always ensured that NBS pupils are not sharing with Uni students unless explicitly requested. There is a duty of care due to their ages. There was a mishap one yr where a 21yr old male Uni student was placed with NBS girls. A few choice words over the phone by us parents soon saw the poor chap relocated. Before he even had chance to walk in the door. 
I do have the email address for the CEO of uS if anyone requires it if they have concerns over duty of care/welfare at Medlock of the younger NBS pupils. Contact does produce results  where all other avenues have failed 😉

Unite not covering themselves in glory atm tbh. I've said before how helpful they can be - usually individuals rather than the whole org - but we had an email the other day from Medlock telling us that our daughter will have to move out and into another property for the last half term so they can complete their refurbishments. Needless to say, I've sent a long email back with a lot of questions... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mum5678 said:

We’re popping in to look around this afternoon after the workshop so I’ll see if I can find out… might be easier to get a definitive answer in person! 

Hiya, not very helpful update I’m afraid! Megan showed us around but couldn’t confirm NBS exclusivity of flats, although did reiterate that they make every effort not to mix and the expectation was that NBS would only be with other NBS unless they had requested otherwise. On the plus side, the new decor is fab - rooms look exactly as per the new website pictures and kitchens very smart too. Think it’ll be lovely for them to be in when it’s all new and shiny! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mum5678 said:

Hiya, not very helpful update I’m afraid! Megan showed us around but couldn’t confirm NBS exclusivity of flats, although did reiterate that they make every effort not to mix and the expectation was that NBS would only be with other NBS unless they had requested otherwise. On the plus side, the new decor is fab - rooms look exactly as per the new website pictures and kitchens very smart too. Think it’ll be lovely for them to be in when it’s all new and shiny! 

I’ve just looked at the new pictures. Wow, what a makeover they’ve all had since last summer. Looking so fresh and welcoming. 🙂

I have noted though that the delightful Aztec pattern curtains haven’t changed.  The curtains are paper thin. Whilst my DD was there a couple of us mums bought black out/thermal lined curtains to hang in their bedrooms, just stored the old ones until end of term. Certainly made a difference. Managed to recycle those curtains later on so not wasted either. 

Just on a side note. Looking at the pics the kitchens aren’t new. They may have received some TLC during the decorating stage however, it’s well worth packing a screwdriver in your belongings as some cupboard/drawer hinges do require a little attention over time during the academic year just based on their age and general use. DIY option can sometimes be more convenient than requesting maintenance on some occasions. 

☺️

Edited by balletbean

13 hours ago, Dancers Dad said:

Unite not covering themselves in glory atm tbh. I've said before how helpful they can be - usually individuals rather than the whole org - but we had an email the other day from Medlock telling us that our daughter will have to move out and into another property for the last half term so they can complete their refurbishments. Needless to say, I've sent a long email back with a lot of questions... 

Oh my goodness they are still doing that!! I thought they had stopped with all that messing about after last summers fiasco. My DD had to move out of Parkway Gate for the last two weeks! Yup. The entire pack-up, clear out and move into Medlock for just 14 days. Was supposed to be a week earlier (so 21 days before the end of contract) but fortunately the Deputy at NBS stepped in and pushed back the get out date to enable the show to go ahead without the girls having to pack up. 
I do have the CEO’s email address if required. It did work on another matter covering the end of term. 

ps if you signed a contract for a particular Medlock flat, double check the wording (I’m sure you have already) as there was no clause in ours that allowed them to force a move for their convenience but only worded due to fault of the occupants or for a structural issue affecting Health & Safety. 

38 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

DD had a fab time yesterday, she is looking forward to September even more now! 

Yes so did mine . The workshop was a good idea for them to be able to meet some of the students. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jo Jo said:

Yes so did mine . The workshop was a good idea for them to be able to meet some of the students. 

It seemed really good. My DD loved it and sounds like they all got on great! I think they all met each other and now are connected on a group chat/snap chat(no idea really!)

My DD said she met new flatmates and other girl from flat next door too as well as girls who were in other blocks. We also noticed how close all the halls are to each other for them getting together. 
Feeling really positive!

• Like 1

DS had a wonderful day too and loved meeting all the other new students - now very excited for September! (Although he can’t remember which girls belong to which names so apologies to your DDs if he got mixed up! 😂) Glad they’ve got their little group chat going. Exciting times ahead! 😊

• Like 3

9 hours ago, balletbean said:

Oh my goodness they are still doing that!! I thought they had stopped with all that messing about after last summers fiasco. My DD had to move out of Parkway Gate for the last two weeks! Yup. The entire pack-up, clear out and move into Medlock for just 14 days. Was supposed to be a week earlier (so 21 days before the end of contract) but fortunately the Deputy at NBS stepped in and pushed back the get out date to enable the show to go ahead without the girls having to pack up. 
I do have the CEO’s email address if required. It did work on another matter covering the end of term. 

ps if you signed a contract for a particular Medlock flat, double check the wording (I’m sure you have already) as there was no clause in ours that allowed them to force a move for their convenience but only worded due to fault of the occupants or for a structural issue affecting Health & Safety. 

I haven't had time to read the contract yet but will do this weekend. It's very poor. Either a) they knew this would happen and chose not to say and therefore gained booking through false pretences; or b) are so incompetent at planning that they didn't know this would happen. Don't know which is worse. Thanks for the offer of the CEO's email address. I shall do some investigating and come back to you if dissatisfied thank you.

As for all the other posts about people looking forward to next year - it's lovely to hear. These hiccups come along but they are hiccups only, and my daughter has loved NBS this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dancers Dad said:

I haven't had time to read the contract yet but will do this weekend. It's very poor. Either a) they knew this would happen and chose not to say and therefore gained booking through false pretences; or b) are so incompetent at planning that they didn't know this would happen. Don't know which is worse. Thanks for the offer of the CEO's email address. I shall do some investigating and come back to you if dissatisfied thank you.

As for all the other posts about people looking forward to next year - it's lovely to hear. These hiccups come along but they are hiccups only, and my daughter has loved NBS this year.

Unfortunately I would put it down the B.
As this turfing pupils out isn’t new to them. NBS pupils seem to catch the brunt of it all as their term finishes so much later than the majority of the Uni students. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, balletbean said:

Unfortunately I would put it down the B.
As this turfing pupils out isn’t new to them. NBS pupils seem to catch the brunt of it all as their term finishes so much later than the majority of the Uni students. 

Unfortunately, it seems their contract is written in total awareness of their own incompetence! 

'for any reason'...

3.2 We reserve the right at any time or times during the Length of Stay to move you to alternative accommodation (which may be in a hotel) for the purpose of carrying out emergency repairs to the Room and/or the Flat and/or the Property or if we consider it necessary or desirable for any reason, to include to avoid difficulties between tenants or for the better management of the
Property PROVIDED THAT:
3.2.1 you are given reasonable notice (except in emergency);
3.2.2 the alternative accommodation is of substantially no lesser standard than your Room/Flat; and
3.2.3 you will occupy the alternative accommodation on the same terms as those of the Tenancy Agreement, including the Rent payable.

On 16/04/2022 at 20:41, Dancers Dad said:

Unfortunately, it seems their contract is written in total awareness of their own incompetence! 

'for any reason'...

3.2 We reserve the right at any time or times during the Length of Stay to move you to alternative accommodation (which may be in a hotel) for the purpose of carrying out emergency repairs to the Room and/or the Flat and/or the Property or if we consider it necessary or desirable for any reason, to include to avoid difficulties between tenants or for the better management of the
Property PROVIDED THAT:
3.2.1 you are given reasonable notice (except in emergency);
3.2.2 the alternative accommodation is of substantially no lesser standard than your Room/Flat; and
3.2.3 you will occupy the alternative accommodation on the same terms as those of the Tenancy Agreement, including the Rent payable.

Mmm. Interesting. 
I have read it as :- 

emergency, which the move most certainly isn’t 
Whilst I can see they do include the line ‘if we consider it necessary or desirable for any reason’ I think planned refurbishment is a stretch too far. They know the tenancy contract dates the onus should be on them to plan around those dates not ignore and override them. 
I’m interested to know where they intend to accommodate the tenants for up to 6 weeks of their tenancy agreement. And will they cover costs involved in the move.
Certainly won’t be a hotel for that length of time either and their ages as many hotels won’t permit it without an over 18 present. 
I feel this might be the right time for an email to the CEO 🤨 

Edited by balletbean

21 hours ago, balletbean said:

Mmm. Interesting. 
I have read it as :- 

emergency, which the move most certainly isn’t 
Whilst I can see they do include the line ‘if we consider it necessary or desirable for any reason’ I think planned refurbishment is a stretch too far. They know the tenancy contract dates the onus should be on them to plan around those dates not ignore and override them. 
I’m interested to know where they intend to accommodate the tenants for up to 6 weeks of their tenancy agreement. And will they cover costs involved in the move.
Certainly won’t be a hotel for that length of time either and their ages as many hotels won’t permit it without an over 18 present. 
I feel this might be the right time for an email to the CEO 🤨 

I do feel like the 'or if we feel it necessary or desirable for any reason' is their get-out clause - although I agree with you that the reason shouldn't be poorly planned refurbs. I suspect, though, that it may not be poorly-planned at all but deliberate: ie they use this clause as part of their refurb planning process now and ignore the collateral damage of upsetting students and families.

They're moving them into either Artisan or Rosamund. Artisan is nice and close. But that's not the point. There's no guarantee of moving with their current flatmates, nor only NBS students. They've offered help with the move and £100 but that doesn't even get close to matching the inconvenience and upset. 

44 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

I do feel like the 'or if we feel it necessary or desirable for any reason' is their get-out clause - although I agree with you that the reason shouldn't be poorly planned refurbs. I suspect, though, that it may not be poorly-planned at all but deliberate: ie they use this clause as part of their refurb planning process now and ignore the collateral damage of upsetting students and families.

They're moving them into either Artisan or Rosamund. Artisan is nice and close. But that's not the point. There's no guarantee of moving with their current flatmates, nor only NBS students. They've offered help with the move and £100 but that doesn't even get close to matching the inconvenience and upset. 

Whilst on paper it may appear that they have gone over and above their duties in offering alternative rooms I don’t agree with their policy at all. Having done a move for just two weeks I can appreciate the upheaval a move like this makes and that’s with parents having to make the additional journey to Manchester to help them.  
We too had the ‘no guarantees on who your DD will share with…..’ comment. Needless to say that comment didn’t last for long when I kindly but firmly reminded them the duty of care due to their ages and that as a flat they shared many items between them all. They also offered each other emotional support due to the pressures of their course and their ages. No harm in keep reminding them. They do tend to forget. Conveniently sometimes. 
Whilst also informing them that they cannot possibly accommodate 16/17yr olds with Uni students that could be drinking and have alcohol in their flats 😉pastoral and duty of care again something they pride themselves on apparently. 

Be firm be polite but don’t accept any of their silliness. Worked for us. Whilst the girls still had to move they some how managed to find a flat to accommodate them together despite saying there was no room. 
I honestly thought they had left all that in the past and learnt their lessons. Sadly I’m mistaken. 

Good Luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

Whilst on paper it may appear that they have gone over and above their duties in offering alternative rooms I don’t agree with their policy at all. Having done a move for just two weeks I can appreciate the upheaval a move like this makes and that’s with parents having to make the additional journey to Manchester to help them.  
We too had the ‘no guarantees on who your DD will share with…..’ comment. Needless to say that comment didn’t last for long when I kindly but firmly reminded them the duty of care due to their ages and that as a flat they shared many items between them all. They also offered each other emotional support due to the pressures of their course and their ages. No harm in keep reminding them. They do tend to forget. Conveniently sometimes. 
Whilst also informing them that they cannot possibly accommodate 16/17yr olds with Uni students that could be drinking and have alcohol in their flats 😉pastoral and duty of care again something they pride themselves on apparently. 

Be firm be polite but don’t accept any of their silliness. Worked for us. Whilst the girls still had to move they some how managed to find a flat to accommodate them together despite saying there was no room. 
I honestly thought they had left all that in the past and learnt their lessons. Sadly I’m mistaken. 

Good Luck. 

Thanks for this. You're right - it's not good enough. Good point about sharing items in the flat - hadn't thought of that. I think I'll go to the site manager next.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2022 at 22:00, mum5678 said:

We have moved DD to the NBS flat in Artisan Heights rather than leaving her  in with the students in New Medlock, there's one space left in the Artisan flat of 5 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dancers Dad said:

Thanks for this. You're right - it's not good enough. Good point about sharing items in the flat - hadn't thought of that. I think I'll go to the site manager next.

Lay it on with a trowel. Nothing to lose 😉

• Like 1

My daughter is present year 1 & lives in MSV Dwell. She was 16 when she started her tenancy they do ask for your permission for them to be living along side 18+ students & agreeing to taking responsibility . We have had no problems there were 5 NBS students in dwell this year. Daughter had rebooked for dwell this year. 

15 hours ago, Mjdb said:

My daughter is present year 1 & lives in MSV Dwell. She was 16 when she started her tenancy they do ask for your permission for them to be living along side 18+ students & agreeing to taking responsibility . We have had no problems there were 5 NBS students in dwell this year. Daughter had rebooked for dwell this year. 

That’s great to hear, thanks. We are going to view it next Friday so fingers crossed 🤞🏼.

Can I ask if you had a DADA if so did you book MSV before or after you received it? 

6 minutes ago, PointeMeTheRightWay said:

That’s great to hear, thanks. We are going to view it next Friday so fingers crossed 🤞🏼.

Can I ask if you had a DADA if so did you book MSV before or after you received it? 

Hi there,

I think we were an exception to the rule!

We didn't actually have our Dada funded offer until Sept 1st !! So was a real rush for us. We had  booked in at New Medlock when we initially had our place offer ( without funding offer )  so when the months were passing & we hadn't had funding offer we cancelled & was  following Plan B ( A levels ). 

So I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe will give others hope that it's never too late ! Don't give up ! Keep options open make plans A, B or C its daunting thinking of planning a life changing event in a matter of days but it's doable & for us worked out perfectly !

Good Luck 

Mj

3 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Hi there,

I think we were an exception to the rule!

We didn't actually have our Dada funded offer until Sept 1st !! So was a real rush for us. We had  booked in at New Medlock when we initially had our place offer ( without funding offer )  so when the months were passing & we hadn't had funding offer we cancelled & was  following Plan B ( A levels ). 

So I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe will give others hope that it's never too late ! Don't give up ! Keep options open make plans A, B or C its daunting thinking of planning a life changing event in a matter of days but it's doable & for us worked out perfectly !

Good Luck 

Mj

Thanks again, yeah we have a couple of backup options if needed. 
sounds like it was all hands on deck for you to get stuff sorted. Glad it worked out for you in the end x

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Taxibank said:

All the accommodation appears to be sold out, new medlock, dwell and artisan heights, any ideas?

What a nightmare for you!

What about Sir Charles Groves Hall and Parkway? I think they are both close too.

Do you know if Unite hold a waiting list? I’m sure there will be a few who have change of plans. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Taxibank said:

All the accommodation appears to be sold out, new medlock, dwell and artisan heights, any ideas?

Hi there,

Don't give up there will always be somewhere. Bridgewater heights is close too. I do know that some of the present year 1s live in buildings with no other 1st years. Yes it's nice to have class mates around but a lot of the time the students just want to go back to their rooms to eat & chill. They have long hard day's & don't always spend the evenings together. The accomodation blocks are all so very close that within a few minutes all if them could be visited! & believe me they do this. Rooms do become available as the weeks go on, I wish you luck. We didn't get my daughter's room until 2nd September last year & it's worked out perfect. 

Mj

• Like 1