Yr12 entry auditions to NBS

Silversparkle

26 minutes ago, mum5678 said:

Hi all, 

Just seeking some thoughts from fellow dance parents... 

DC has accepted a place at NBS and as a matter of courtesy wrote a couple of very nice, carefully written  "thanks very much, I'm honoured for the offer but I'm going to decline on this occasion" emails, which we felt kind of needed to be done in our particular circumstances (one school had offered to fund some of the course and from another school the head phoned us one day to ask why we'd turned it down! 😬)

Both schools responded with.... let's say 'snotty' at the very least (but actually unpleasant would be more accurate description) emails back. Obviously we won't respond further, but it got me firstly worrying that we'd done the wrong thing by being what seemed to be polite enough to reply to them, and then about any bridges that might have been burned by DC choosing a school that isn't theirs in terms of work later on (both schools are linked to companies). 

Anyone else had any experience of this? Surely all schools get offers declined?!  

I do remember spending some time with our daughter who turned down a couple of places in favour of NBS, writing as nice a 'no thank you' email as possible - same as you. One replied curtly and the other didn't reply at all, so you're not alone. The two weren't linked to companies though, so we didn't have to entertain that worry. Having said that, what more can you do?  I'd try not to sweat it if I were you.

• Like 1

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Dancing goats said:

My daughter has just declined Northern and had a really lovely email reply, wishing her all the best etc.. I found myself slightly concerned at writing the email as they had been so generous to her.. but thankfully a good response.

Oh that's good! We did have a 3 other lovely replies wishing all the best etc. alongside the 2 miserable ones... I suppose that made them stand out even more in a way. 

Glad NBS sent a lovely reply...  it sort of make you feel like you made the right decision in declining the schools that sent the unpleasant ones!

Wishing your DD lots of luck and all the best for wherever she goes. 😊

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrsKrabz said:

Hi,

my dd is wanting to go to NBS, just hoping there are some rooms left at new Medlock now  🤔

I am sure there will be rooms left at New Medlock. There are quite a few in here that are going to NBS/New Medlock House. It’s best to call them directly. This number (01612368487) should work and you can ask for Zobia. You must explain that she is a NBS student and under 18 to be put into a shared flat with other NBS/ under 18 students.

Some people are still waiting to hear back from Finals from some colleges and if accepted there, may turn down their spaces so I’m sure rooms will still become available even from the existing NBS flats within the next couple of weeks. 
My DD was offered a DADA last week for NBS so they have started the process but I think they only do a few at a time. But sadly some rooms may also be given up, if people don’t get offered a DADA but the process is slow so it might take a long time till people know. 
NBS are also offering an Easter workshop that several of the new starts are attending so might be worth looking into, if your DD is interested. 

Just now, Jo Jo said:
8 hours ago, MrsKrabz said:

Hi,

my dd is wanting to go to NBS, just hoping there are some rooms left at new Medlock now  🤔

Hi my daughter is booked into Artisan heights also a unite property. There is  a flat booked out for 5 NBS students only . I think a few rooms left. It’s very modern clean and safe as just around the corner. Dave is in charge he is very helpful his contact number 0117 302 7060 if you want to contact him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrsKrabz said:

Hi,

I think it is unlikely that there won't be any rooms left...New Medlock provides accommodation to all manner of students, and the uni 1st years won't know for certain whether the are going to Manchester until much later in the year.  

Ideally you want to try to get her into a flat with other NBS students, but I wouldn't worry too much about them all being under 18.  It can be a benefit to have some older ones in the flat.  When my dd started at 16 she had two 18 year olds, a 19 year old and a 25 year old in her flat - a mix of girls and boys but all NBS first years.  It seemed to work well.  

2 hours ago, PointeMeTheRightWay said:

We set up DD's info on the portal as instructed to do but after reading this thread, i'm not sure if we should have received an offer on the portal  or where it would be. 

We had an email through advising us to go into the portal to see the offer. The email had a reasonably large attachment so if it hasn't come through might be worth checking junk/spam. The email went to my DC's email address. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2022 at 15:30, Ballet-taxi said:

I think it came in the portal but took about 24hours to come through. Did you fill in the application on the portal? You need to do that first. 

Yes we completed the application through the portal, submitted the required pictures etc and it still just says that the application has been submitted.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2022 at 16:18, mum5678 said:

We had an email through advising us to go into the portal to see the offer. The email had a reasonably large attachment so if it hasn't come through might be worth checking junk/spam. The email went to my DC's email address. 

Thanks, we've checked junk and still nothing. Think i'm going to have to chase up with NBS.

Zobia emailed yesterday and the partially filled ensuite NBS flat is being opened up for other students if anyone wanted to book in as it was implied no more ensuites available for NBS.

There's also a partially filled non ensuite with current first years in still with spaces.

(New Medlock)

Edited by Hairpinseverywhere

• 2 weeks later...

We just went to visit New Medlock Halls where my DD is booked into They are getting 2 new dance studios, games room and study areas put in before September and they have free use of cinema room, gym and karaoke room in Parkway Gate next door. The newly refurbished rooms and kitchens look good too. 

They explained that if any other NBS students want a room with other NBS students in flats they should book now and if they don’t get their DADA and can’t take room, there’s no problem pulling out but safer to book now. 

It was Zobia who showed us round. She said there was another flat that was for NBS students but now only had 1 as they could no longer block it for NBS students due to timing. She then said it was really important that NBS students booked quickly and didn’t wait for funding as they couldn’t hang in to the rooms. 
I thought she meant she was trying to fill it with NBS students but maybe I misunderstood! 
Maybe call Zobia and check! 

15 hours ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Yes my DDS flat is her and the others are uni students as they opened it up almost immediately after DD booked in!!

That’s is strange as uS have always ensured that NBS pupils are not sharing with Uni students unless explicitly requested. There is a duty of care due to their ages. There was a mishap one yr where a 21yr old male Uni student was placed with NBS girls. A few choice words over the phone by us parents soon saw the poor chap relocated. Before he even had chance to walk in the door. 
I do have the email address for the CEO of uS if anyone requires it if they have concerns over duty of care/welfare at Medlock of the younger NBS pupils. Contact does produce results  where all other avenues have failed 😉